DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Action has been sold to two bitter competitors, Speedway Motorsports Inc. (Bruton Smith) and International Speedway Corp. (NASCAR).
I think that this union will provide plenty of entertainment!!! Hang on for the ride folks!

From the press Release:

International Speedway Corp. and Speedway Motorsports Inc. have announced a joint venture to buy the Action Performance collectible company.

The two track operators says their equal partnership, which will be called Motorsports Authentics, will pay about $245 million in cash to acquire Action Performance in a deal expected to close by the end of the year.

Action, which is probably best known for its broad range of die-cast replica cars, also produces and sells apparel, gifts and other memorabilia. About 70 percent of the company's 2004 product sales were tied to NASCAR, thanks to its license agreements with many of the sport's teams and drivers.

Action markets collectible die-cast products under the names Action Racing Collectibles, RCCA, Winner's Circle, AP, Muscle Machines, Brookfield Collector's Guild and Minichamps. Its brands for licensed apparel, gifts and other memorabilia include Chase Authentics, Trevco and Winner's Circle.

ISC President Lesa France Kennedy believes the joint venture will be able to improve Action's financial performance. "As part of Motorsports Authentics, we believe Action has significant long-term potential for generating positive cash flow and earnings," she said. "We plan to leverage the extensive relationships and marketing expertise of both ISC and SMI to make this a successful venture. ... [W]e believe we can capitalize on financial and operating synergies by approaching merchandise operations as a combined entity."

SMI Chairman Bruton Smith thinks the two firms will be able to grow the collectible business. "We believe it is strategically important for NASCAR and other motorsports to have strong, well-run companies designing, marketing and distributing racing merchandise," he said. "Licensed product is a significant segment of the industry that has historically not been optimized."

Kennedy will be part of a four-member committee overseeing Motorsports Authentics, along with John Saunders, ISC's executive vice president and chief operating officer; Marcus Smith, SMI's executive vice president of national sales and marketing; and SMI board member Mark Gambill.

Fred Wagenhals, president and CEO of Action, is expected to have a key role in the new company. Herb Baum, recently appointed as executive chairman of Action Performance, will not remain with the company after the closing.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I wonder if they are going to sell off all the non-Nascar companies?
Gulp :scared

G

·
WOW - $245 Million!!!!!!!!

I had no idea Action was such a large company. I wonder how much AUTOart is worth?

:cheers

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
NASCAR + BIG $

Every race you have tons of vendors selling this stuff.
Add in all the hobby shops that deal in Nascar.
Then add up all the apparal.

Then add in Ertl or RC2 asits now called.
Then add Johnny Lightning/Playing Mantis/ Polar lights

Muscle Machines are huge and in every store from Target to Wal Mart and so on

Minichamps is pretty big on its own.

Adding all of those sales up has to completely dwarf little old Auto Art :giggle

G

·
Thanks Jeff,

I got a bit confused as Action are only a smallish brand over this side of the Atlantic. I guess when you add Ertl, Johnny Lightning, etc its possible to see why they are valued at the price they are.

G

·
I learned last year Action was on the ropes and was looking to do some type of merger to stay afloat. Good to know they will still be a part of the scene.

I guess the working man turned CEO/Owner of a major company has made out really well. :nicejob

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
And who would be the big dogs of the diecast world? I would say Mattel, as #1 of course, then Action, Maisto, and then maybe Yat Ming. What do you guys think?
:feedback

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I agree up until Yat Ming but I couldn't say why I think that way :giggle

G

·
GMP are only a small company aren't they? I was checking out their website and they only appear to have a handful of staff based in the USA.

I'd expect the larger companies would be the ones who concentrate on low details and high volumes, such as Welly, Maisto and Motormax.

I agree with LUW regarding Mattel. They probably are the number 1 :cry

G

·
I would guess these are some of the top model car companies in no specific order:

Action Performance
Related Brands: Muscle Machines, MacArthur, Winners Circle, Revell Racing/Revell Action, Minichamps/PMA (Pauls Model Art), RCCA(Racing Collectable Club of America), ARC (Action Racing Collectables), Brookfield, Castaway Collectables, Funline Merchandising

Ertl
Related Brands: Precision 100, Playing Mantis, Johnny Ligthning, William Britain, American Choppers, American Muscle, Learning Curve, AMT, Outdoor Sportsman, Super Car Collectables, P.Y.E.(Performance Years Enterprises), MIC(Merchandise Incentive Corporation)

Jada Toys
Related Brands: Dub City, Import Racer, Homiez Rollerz, Inital D, Von Dutch, Road Rats

Mattel Inc
Related Brands: Matchbox, Hot Wheels, Dinky, Tyco

Maisto International, Inc

Yat Ming
Related Brands: Road Tough, Road Legends, Road Signature

It would be hard to say if Mattel was the #1 in model car volume and revenue. Their model cars are dwarfed by their 1:64 collectables, kids toys and educational products. I wouldn't be surprised if their model cars piggy back on those other lines. Eitherway, I think they may be #1 overall, but possibly not in model sales and volume.

G

·
Did anyone else recieve a diecast questionaire/survey from Motorsports Authentics?

Looks like they are taking the time to see what their current/future customers/collectors think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.