DiecastXchange Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting some metal number/license plates printed by Dingsign for some of my models, but they don't have an adhesive back, so I was wondering 2 things:
  1. For models that have a license plate holder already, what adhesive tape would ensure no residue is left behind should I choose to remove the plates after any period of time?
  2. For models that don't have a plate holder, especially on the front of a lot of supercars, the tape would have to be safe enough not to cause any paint damage if a plate is stuck directly to the model itself.
Any help would be appreciated guys!

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
mcaf123, I have used 3M clear double sided tape, their thinnest stuff. It has really good holding strength, so you would only need a 1-2mm wide strip along the top of the number plate to hold it in place. With a little pull, it can be removed and the tape should come off with the number plate. But if it is left on the body, you can use your finger tip to roll it away as it will adhere to itself rather than the painted body.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mcaf123, I have used 3M clear double sided tape, their thinnest stuff. It has really good holding strength, so you would only need a 1-2mm wide strip along the top of the number plate to hold it in place. With a little pull, it can be removed and the tape should come off with the number plate. But if it is left on the body, you can use your finger tip to roll it away as it will adhere to itself rather than the painted body.
Cheers Rob - can always rely on you to know these sorts of things lol!
Is this one fit for purpose? https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Adhesive-4611F-Temperatures-Metals/dp/B00EDLV24U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1494238294&sr=8-2&keywords=3m+double+sided+tape

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Sounds like a cool tape, thanks for the tip.

That said I would think any tape residue comes off with some alcohol.

Btw, I superglue mine on like a champ.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
mcaf123, just checked that link, yes that is the tape. 3M VHB. I use this in the shopfitting industry, no other tape matches it's performance. Not cheap though.

lateapex, I superglue my number plates on too. Guess there never coming off. LOL

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
White/pva/wood glue will hold your plates on until/if you decide you want to remove them.
Another alternative is good old fashioned gum.
Yet another is the kind of product used for children to paste things, in Europe it goes by the name 'Pritt'.
Since there is almost no weight in p/e items, all should hold without failing.
My preferred option for this kind of thing is PVA glue.....

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
White/pva/wood glue will hold your plates on until/if you decide you want to remove them.
Yet another is the kind of product used for children to paste things, in Europe it goes by the name 'Pritt'.
Yeah, Pritt Stick - the staple of every arts and craft activity we had in school lol! Do none of your suggestions not leave any sort of residue or potential damage behind?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Hehe, Rob.

mcaf123, ordinary glue residue from tape etc should be no issue, just think of all those models that come with little clear tape pieces over bonnets like old autoarts. Even after years in boxes they usually come off residue free, and if there is residue you can just clean it with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol. Clear coat can withstand nail polish remover after all.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hehe, Rob.

mcaf123, ordinary glue residue from tape etc should be no issue, just think of all those models that come with little clear tape pieces over bonnets like old autoarts. Even after years in boxes they usually come off residue free, and if there is residue you can just clean it with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol. Clear coat can withstand nail polish remover after all.
Thanks for the advice! I don't know the first thing about modding/repairs, so that's why I turn to you experts for help

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Hehe, Rob.

Thanks for the advice! I don't know the first thing about modding/repairs, so that's why I turn to you experts for help

[/quote]

No, I hear you. I should probably ask more questions before I do things.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I use two-sided 3M tape as well. It holds up really well in my opinion!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys! I think I'll go for the 3M tape. I like their stuff as I use the command strips for hanging up all my clocks and photos at home and never had an issue

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Yeah, Pritt Stick - the staple of every arts and craft activity we had in school lol! Do none of your suggestions not leave any sort of residue or potential damage behind?
[/quote]
I'm too old to have used Pritt.
We had to melt our own animal bones (very smelly!) because the economy in Victorian times was skint....
As regards residue, my preference would always be PVA glue - any residue can be removed.

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Late to the party but Ive been using this Scotch product for this for years. Its clear and strong enough for what we are using it for. Just cut a very thin strip and place behind license plate or cut it the exact dimensions of the license plate. Up to you. But it works great and is cheap pricewise. I get them at Staple or local drug stores or on eBay or Amazon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scotch-Removable-Clear-Mounting-Squares-Double-Sided-Adhesive-Photo-Safe-1-x-1-/301762738760
Thanks! How thick is the tape itself? I want it to be really low profile so the plates don't stick out and look fake

·
Administrator
33,130 Posts
When I put some custom plates on my Minichamps BMW M2 I just used normal double sided tape (I don't even recall the maker) They don't stick out etc.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Late to the party but Ive been using this Scotch product for this for years. Its clear and strong enough for what we are using it for. Just cut a very thin strip and place behind license plate or cut it the exact dimensions of the license plate. Up to you. But it works great and is cheap pricewise. I get them at Staple or local drug stores or on eBay or Amazon.

https://www.ebay.com...1-/301762738760
Thanks! How thick is the tape itself? I want it to be really low profile so the plates don't stick out and look fake
[/quote]
Lower profile than the 3M black double-sided tape but thicker than Scotchtape of course. I love that 3M as I hang everything with it hehe. But its just a little too thick for my license plates.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
just saw this thread probably not much use to the original poster but i did use glustik you get from office stationery shops on several occasions. A thin layer does the job and since it isn't permanent glue i can still peel off later and clean the glue residue off easily with wet wipes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts