DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know out of all the road-going Porsches and BMWs made in 1/18,which ones do other members think are the very best/must haves?
I currently have neither a Porsche nor a BMW in my collection (yeah,shame on me) and I would like to rectify this at some point!
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
:cheers
Tony.

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
My recommendations:

Porsche: Minichamps CGT, Minichamps GT3 RSR, AUTOart 2003 GT3's

BMW's: AUTOart E30 M3, Kyosho 7er, Kyosho 3er's (any)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ones I'd recommend:

Porsche:
======

AUTOart/PMA Carrera GT

I got the black AUTOart and it is stunning.

AUTOart 911 GT2, GT3, and Turbo

The metallic black on the GT2 is awesome; really suits this evil car. I decided on red for the GT3 and silver for the Turbo; wanted to get them in different colors.

AUTOart Carrera 996

Lapisblue-on-beige. A gorgeous combo. And you can still get this one for about $49.

BMW:
====

Kyosho M5 and M6

The blue M5 and red M6 are amazing. They were my first Kyoshos and definitely not my last.

Kyosho M3 GTR (Street)

This is the real BMW M3 GTR street version. If you want only true 1:1's, this is it.

Minichamps made 4 or 5 M3 GTR street cars which are solid-colored versions of the ALMS/ELMS race cars. These cars, at least in these colors, don't exist in 1:1. That being said, they are also amazing models. I have the Phoenix Yellow and love it. The Estoril Blue is also very nice.

AUTOart/Kyosho M3 CSL

I don't have this one but I assume it's on par with other AUTOart/Kyosho models.

AUTOart M3

The "basic" M3. Mine is Laguna Seca blue.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Assuming you're talking about road cars only, I would say the following:
- Minichamps: GT3 RSR, 924
- AUTOart: GT3 R, GT3 RS, CGT
- Exoto: 959
- UT: GT2 (Evo if possible), GT1, Turbo (S if possible)
- Maisto: CGT (if you can't afford AUTOart's), 550A Spyder, 356 Roadtser
- Kyosho: 356A Speedster

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Tony,

In my opinion the bests one are:

The Minichamps Porsche GT3RSR which is only available through Porsche dealers (as far as I know)

Autoart GT3 and GT3RS

Minichamps BMW M3GTR - there are heaps of colours available for these too, but some are quite hard to find now.

I've listed the above cars based on what I like in road cars. Each of them is a well made model though so they're worth having a look at.

:cheers and good luck in your search,

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A whole heap of suggestions there guys,many,many thanks :happy
I had a quick squizz at the Kyosho M3 GTR Street and all I can say is Wow!! :hot
Discovering a whole new world of Diecast lately and I have now found out there is a lot more out there than just Aussie Fords and Holdens :lol
More credit card meltdown coming up me thinks.
Tony.

·
Registered
90 Posts
G'day Tony, great to hear you thinking of moving into foreign diecasts as well. I would also have to recommend the Kyosho M5, Autoart 911 (pretty much any of them of hte 996/997 range) and Autoart BMW Ms. The M3 CSL is a personal favourite of mine. I would suggest checking out the city stores in Melbourne, as they probably have the best range.

Julza

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Hi Tony,

I too have a far greater appreciation for a wider range pf cars since entering the DX world! It can be a little intimidating when faced with some stunning releases by CMC, Exoto, Kyosho and the like! Especially after being brought up on a diet of Biante, Classic Carlectables and Trax!

My thoughtts are based on the assumption that you are looking at the 1:18 market only.

If you can stretch to an Exoto 911, my advice is do so. While I can not afford one myself (it would mean choosing one of these or going without 3-4 other cars I really want), after inspecting one, I was incredibly impressed. Yep, I love them.

UT make the older 993 models of the 911, as well as the Boxter. You can still pick up the Boxters at reasonable prices, but the Turbo and Turbo S cars are trading for silly money on ebay, and while good models, don't match recent AUTOart releases.

Here is my maroon Turbo:

My personal advice would be to go for an AUTOart release (GT3 and GT3RS as Mark said) or the Minichamps dealer edition GT3RSR. Collectors here cannot speak highly enough of this latter release.

As to BMW, well, do you want a modern ///M car, or an older BMW? Minichamps do older 2002 cars (the model, not the year), maybe even the 2002 turbo, but I think that you can't go wrong with Kyosho's range with the M5 and M6 wowing DX'ers. I have to admit, an M5 wouldn't go astray here....! :giggle

If you are talking about race cars, Sir Gary, Luciano, Thomas etc. are the best to speak to regarding racing Pokers. The 917 racers are awesome.

All the best with your decision! :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Hi Andrew,
Ur Porsche looks way cool mate.The agony of choice eh?Only trouble is the Aus market is flooded with Maistos and BBuragos and the likes of Exoto,Kyosho and CMC are not always easy to find.AS for BMW's ,apart from the Kyosho GTR,I am not fussed really whether it is a new or an older model.With so many diecasts on my wanted list,price does come into the equation a lot.Actually I am looking at a Maisto 325i special edition on ebay right now as 1)I like the look of it and 2)they're only asking 5 bucks!!(hmm,is there something I should know I wonder?)
If I see a model I really really like however,sometimes price goes out the window! :lol
No rush though,plenty of models to choose from and plenty of time to buy them,I'm not planning on going anywhere.
Tony.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Tony, if you follow that thought throughout your collection you can't go wrong!

Watch DX to see what's comming up in terms of new releases. If your local shop can't get them then eBay is the way to go. Also, if you know of a model you want, ask a DXer for the model number as this can help local shops to order them for you.

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello Tony

Anything from AUTOart, Kyosho or Minichamps won't disappoint. There is a bit of discussion who makes the best version of duplicate models (made by more than one of the companies), such as the BMW 1600, 2002s, Z8s, M3's and CSL's, but all in all you'd struggle to find a duffer.
You shouldn't overlook the older releases such as the Kyosho 3-series coupe/cabrio and AUTOart 635/M635s as they are fantastic and are now available for attractive prices.

As far as Porsches are concerned, AUTOart's and Minichamps's are great, but in my opinion UT's can be expensive and poorly detailed - and the wheels melt.

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Many thanks for all ur input guys,I now have a few ideas of what to get.I think my wallet is gonna hate me though now that I have discovered these premium brands! :lol
Tony.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AUTOart 996 GT3RS on the left
UT 993 Carrera RS on the right
Both awesome !!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:hot Wow! Some smoking hot Porsches there!I was looking at some UT Porsches and BMW's.They are only around $30AUS here which is pretty cheap for a 1/18.I assume the detailing isnt as good as ,say,an AUTOart or a Kyosho?As far as I can tell,the boot doesnt open with these?
They look very cool though.
Tony.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.