DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After eyeing this 1:18 Alpine White BMW 5-series F10 by Norev, I finally bit the bullet and ordered one from Megamo Diecast. There are a lot of excellent reviews for the F10, so I won't rewrite everything except to say that I had to lower the front end (it was way too high). Luckily Norev models are easy to take apart and lowered.

But the biggest annoyance I have with this car is the inaccurate shape of the front headlights. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but here's a comparion shot between the Norev's and the 1:18 F10:

Basically the headlights are too 'high' and more of the hood should cover the top of the headlights. I feel that this really changes the face of the F10.

Also, I realized what else is missing: The 1:1 Headlight has black trim around the lens that's absent on the 1:18:

So while lowering the car, I decided to give the headlights black trim surroundings as well as trying to 'shorten' the top of the headlight to better mimic the 1:1.

I think this made the car express the 1:1 look a bit better.....

Here are some shots I took earlier:

Some shots with E60 5-series....
Compared to the new F10, the E60 actually looks much more agressive (OK, this one is an M5) and BMW really dials back the styling on the F10. But I think the F10 will age better than the E60. What do you guys / gals think?

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
No offense to your mods, but...

styling-wise, i think the F10 is like an episode of Friends; you're not sure if you're looking at the current episode, an earlier episode, or a repeat of an earlier episode that's being shown one hour after the latest episode. It's an undistinguished blur, IMHO.

G

·
No offense to your mods, but...

styling-wise, i think the F10 is like an episode of Friends; you're not sure if you're looking at the current episode, an earlier episode, or a repeat of an earlier episode that's being shown one hour after the latest episode. It's an undistinguished blur, IMHO.
On the contrary, I think tanayast's mod immensely makes the Norev F10 look better than it originally is. It fixes all the gripes I had with the model and I wouldn't mind forking out some money for tanayast to do another one for me.

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
Impressive work tanayast!
The headlamps are spot on!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
While I like what you did with the headlights, I don't understand why you added the ugly ass American lights to the bumper. Three issues that I personally have with this. 1, it's a Euro spec car with Euro plates, so the orange North American lights don't fit in. 2, they aren't long enough when compared to the 1:1 which is sort of ironic because the headlight shape really bothers you: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/09/lead1bmw550ireview2011.jpg 3, they really distract from the overall front end appearance which is all monotone. Don't take it as an attack, but I just don't get it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Definitely an improvement IMO.
Do agree with S40 about the US indicators clashing with euro plates though.

About the E60 vs. F10... I actually think the E60 has aged rather well. The F10 on the other hand is really dull and even as the M5, it still needs a striking color/wheel combo so I'm not sure it'll get any better with age.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys....

As of the US Side Marker... I got the idea from BMW's own brochures. If you look at BMW's model-specific brochure (take the F10 for example), it shows a US car with Euro plate. Not correct I know, but those were more of an experiment and they're vinyl stickers leftover I ad (that's why they're not long enough).

I like Norev's latest releases, but almost each one of them has some 'annoyances' for me....

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
as far as which car ages better, the E60 still looks like a newer car imo than the F10. E60 is a classic in my books, it was beautifully crafted.
Kinda agree with you there, the F10 looks aged already compared to the E90 which still looks fresh. Also not going to miss the V10 in a hurry!

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
I definately perfer the newer 5 series. And in white the car looks brillant. I like the changes made. Very nice

·
Registered
40 Posts
Such a small thing made such a big difference...looks great!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.