DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm repainting my Ferrari F40 using the Testor Model Car Spray Paint set.
I wasn't even done with the first coat and pretty much the tiny bottle is almost used up.
Was I using too much paint or is it supposed to do that?
Thx guys.

G

·
Those spray guns can eat a up one of those small bottles of paint. As long as you used a light spray technique and the paint isn't to thick you should be fine. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
phew...thx...
I guess I should stick to spray paint by cans?

Hopefully the car will turn out ok, this is the first ever diecast car I've ever repaint... :angel:

G

·
Was it a smooth spray job. :?:

I used the aerosol air spray and a small bottle of Testors paint to paint a UT vette last year and when I finished it looked like brick stuco.

I now use this model to test all my paint on. ;-)

G

·
If, after you apply the paint, it looks glass smooth and perfect, you've applied it too thick. Check for run marks/streaks on the body as well, as that's another tell tale sign.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it actually doesn't look glass smooth...it's orange peely...lol
i read somewhere that I need to use some sort of paint restorer or something to buff it first?
You guys have any suggestion...?

G

·
Depends how rough...you can use automotive polishing compound to smooth it out, just be careful not to remove too much paint, otherwise, you're back to square one. You actually want a little bit of orange peel when you paint.

·
Registered
817 Posts
thx for the tip..
which polishing compound do you guys recommend?
I painted my 1:24 silverado with a tamiya red spray can and i will say it came out smooth and dripless, as i applied it in single thin coats, for the very last coat you put on a slightly thinker coat but not too heavy otherwise it will run. If you have orage peel it means you've put too much paint on it at one time. In painting/spraying real cars and other things if you get bad orange peel you really need to sand it back and reapply the colour again. I love being a proffesional spray painter :), so many things that one can paint :) and so many colours to choose from :)
Nothing like taking a blank canvas.. eg a car and restoring it to showroom condition.. so satisfying :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts