DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
over at diecast.org

I just got screwed on Ebay by Ebay. A story you must hear.
A buyer won my auction and promptly paid in full. I then promptly shipped the model. It was received by the buyer in perfect condition. I figured the transaction was complete, so I gave him positive feedback. Now the good part starts. I receive an email from him telling me that he found the model on another auction at a considerably loweer price, therefore, I owe him the difference between what he paid me and the amount of the other auction. I politely told him I don't give refunds unless the model is not as described in the ad. I then receive an email calling me vile names and calling me a crook. He then says if I don't pay him $25.00 he will leave negative feedback. I refuse at this point to subject myself to more verbal abuse, and don't answer his nasty Email. After more threats and him raising his extortion to $40.00, I filed with Square Trade, which costs me $20.00. Now remember, Square Trade is part of Ebay.They take my money and say, since he hadn't yet given the negative, case closed. $20.00 wasted. meanwhile he posts the negative feedback on me, and I file again with Square Trade requesting feedback removal. Another $20.00 fee. They send him an Email asking him to remove his feedback and he refuses.They tell me to pay him and he will agree to remove the feedback. I say no, case closed. I asked them what I paid for and they said they are not judges or jury, so since we cannot agree to compromise, case closed. Now, I am $40.00 poorer and have a negative comment in my feedback when I was very careful to do the right thing. Ebay now condones this kind of extortion. Just wait until the seller gives you a positive and then extort him for whatever he is good for. Anybody have a better story than this one?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have had well over 80 transactions on eBay and all of them positive mind you. And for the most part it has been a great experience. 99% of the time I send payment via money orders and I have never had a problem with that. It has gotten where most of the time the seller will leave feedback once the buyer has received there item and they have left some feedback for the seller and then the seller would leave feedback that goes with what the buyer left. several instances I have seen is to where the seller would get payment via Pay-Pal. The auction would end and then in the next few moments the buyer would send payment. The buyer would then receive his/her items and something might be wrong with it. Trying to re-contact the seller to discuss a way of making it right for the both of them ended up not working as the seller never did respond to repetitive emails. The buyer would then leave negative feedback and the seller would also leave negative for the buyer eventhough the seller received the payment for the item the same day of acution end. Go figure....

As far as finding the exact item cheaper somewheres else...thats the buyers fault, he/she should have checked around a bit more to find a better bargain. If I was the seller I would have also chosen not to refund the difference. This is eBay, an online auction and not Wal-Mart or something where they might match or beat a competitors price.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thats BS! I've dealt with Square Trade before and they don't do anything, its a waste of money. They "try" to fix something, but really have no power to do anything at all.

As for the guy wanting the difference back, its his fault he didn't try and find a better deal, not yours. I've had this happen to me before where a person won an auction of mine and didn't pay because "he found one cheaper somewhere else". I left him negative feedback.

G

·
Oh my... :oops:

the nerve of some folks. I'm trying to think of a valid reason as to why the seller should have to meet or better other sellers prices. :?

I just don't get some folks. :zi:

To bad anything the seller made went right back to eBAY :???:

G

·
Its a sad fact of life , that whether buying or selling on ebay , youre gonna run into one of these idiots sooner or later . I have concluded over 500 transactions , and even though I try to ensure everything is done correctly , I still ended up with 12 negs on my feedback . Sometimes you just cant do anything about it and have to accept it .
I`ve had negs left buy traders I have purchased from whose items have arrived damaged and when I complained I got neg feedback + abusive and threatening mails , I`ve had negs left by traders who have received damaged goods from me (P.O. Fault) and even though I have offered full refunds I still got a neg . I recently got a neutral comment because a guy was on holiday and said he couldnt pay 4 weeks after auction close. Sometimes you just gotta put up with their sh :x
Square trade are a waste of space. As Scott said , they promise the world and deliver nothing , just another money making machine .
If I had been in that guys shoes , I would have explained the simple rule of ebay....The price you bid is the price you pay...if he had wanted refunds , guarantees or price match promises , he should be buying from a high street store , not an auction site . The buyer was obviously intent on leaving a neg once he was told no refund would be given , so the seller should have let it drop there , accepted the neg , and put it down to experiance.......YOU CANT WIN EM ALL .

G

·
sorry to hear of your poor luck guys.

Do these buyer not understand what ebay is all about, who on earth would refund the part of the money? Are they from another planet.

Here is some advice, I never EVER post any feed back on a buyer until I know that he/she is happy and has posted a feedback to me.

G

·
man co :x sucking sh :x heads really fc :x in piss me off. Thankfully I haven't had any experiences THAT bad on ebay. Though I had one which came close...

I was selling my mom's 84 benz on ebay, and the highbidder was at 1000$ with a day left. Then he emails me saying he will only pay 500$ because he just bought another car. So i tell him that his bid is a contract, and that I stated that in the auction, and he needed to come up wiht the 1000$, period. After a few emails and him being a sleezy bi :x he still won't pay.. then with 23 minutes left, I got another bid.. for 2300... God is real people, and he saved me from a major hassle! Not only did we get a lot more for the car than we thought, the buyer was a SUPER nice guy who lived just 30 minutes away. I detailed the car, and then drove it up to him 4 days later, he wrote teh check, we filed the paperwork and it was done.

I also had a bunch of people bid on stuff i was selling before i moved out here, and never paid... :x ...

thankfully i've never been ripped off by a seller, only by sh :x tty buyers who all got negative feedback for their sh :x iness

G

·
Here is some advice, I never EVER post any feed back on a buyer until I know that he/she is happy and has posted a feedback to me.
Scuderia,
Here is something I don't understand - perhaps you can help me. Let me preface this by saying I've only ever been a buyer on ebay. A few months ago I "won" (why do we call it winning? That's for another time. ;-) ) a UT Porsche and promptly paid with paypal. The seller then contacted me and said he would leave feedback once I left him feedback. My response was, and my thoughts are - as a buyer, once I pay for an item, what other obligation do I have to the seller? Why would a seller want to hold feedback "hostage"? I realize a buyer may be "difficult" after the transaction, but isn't that why you are give the ability to respond to negative feedback.

·
John
586 Posts
I share your pain MP. I had few problems on eBay. One time I sold a diecast car on eBay and the guy never sent me the money. I email him many times, never reply. In my auction I listed if you don't contact or pay me within 10 days, I leave negative feedback. Well I let the guy have another week just in case he had a emergency in the family. So week goes by I finaily decide I'm leaving negative feedback. Well after that, the :x leaves me negative saying somthing like I was a bad seller etc... And that made me pissed off. Now I have 1 negative. I have almost 200 positives already. I hate to have that 1 damn negative on my record. :???:

Also another case which involves out of the country purchase. I purchased a 1/18 Opel Gavin from UK, well turns out the guy was a fraud, and I never got my money from eBay. There goes 70 dollars down the drian. Till then, I never bought cars outside the US. Which sucks because theres a Ferrari I want badly that is in UK right now too. :???:

G

·
Why would u pay 20 bucks to argue a negative anyway?

I would tell that pimplefaced geek to "Kiss My A**" and thats it.. A negative doesnt bother me...

Ive seen people with nothing but negatives still buy stuff..

G

·
Scuderia,
Here is something I don't understand - perhaps you can help me. Let me preface this by saying I've only ever been a buyer on ebay. A few months ago I "won" (why do we call it winning? That's for another time. ;-) ) a UT Porsche and promptly paid with paypal. The seller then contacted me and said he would leave feedback once I left him feedback. My response was, and my thoughts are - as a buyer, once I pay for an item, what other obligation do I have to the seller? Why would a seller want to hold feedback "hostage"? I realize a buyer may be "difficult" after the transaction, but isn't that why you are give the ability to respond to negative feedback.
Richard,

The only reason I do that is so I don't get burned.. I want to make sure that the buyer is happy with the transaction. I realize that the buyer has paid in good faith and should get the feedback right away, but I just don't want to get caught with posting a feedback then having a problem occur, me correcting it then still get a bad feedback.

G

·
I feel bad for the seller as eBAY siding with the buyer comes unexpectedly and unknowingly to him. Now I'm wondering about the justification of them siding with the buyer.

It seems to me in order for them to side with the buyer instead of the seller in a case like this is highly unlikely, but it happened. Heres my thinking as to why. Whomever responded to the email from the buyer to start the resoulution process doesn't make decisions like this on his own. He more than likely seeked approval from a supv/mgr, and then that makes you wonder where they pulled that decision from. :? I know retailers like Kmart, Wal Mart and Target match prices, is it possible that eBAY could possibly have something like this incorporated and prospective buyers/bidders not know of it. It really doesn't make since to me, if the buyer makes no money, then eBAY makes no moey off the final value fee. So there has to be something for them to make a decision to support the buyer over the seller.

And what happens when other buyers start yelling "This seller has the same item cheaper" or a buyer yells "That seller sold the exact same item as mine for more, so therefor the winning bidder has to pay more to make up the difference". There has to be a some set rules that prevent things like that from happening, you just can't implement rules as you go along. Which makes me think, what rules don't I know about that would yield similar favorable decisions like this to a buyer.

Sorry for the long post as I was just trying to figure it all out. ;-)

G

·
Scuderia,
Richard,

The only reason I do that is so I don't get burned.. I want to make sure that the buyer is happy with the transaction. I realize that the buyer has paid in good faith and should get the feedback right away, but I just don't want to get caught with posting a feedback then having a problem occur, me correcting it then still get a bad feedback.
Scuderia,

I too wondered the same as Richard. Thanks for shedding some light on it. I have seen in one auction where the seller referenced the above, I though to myself, this guy is covering everything. ;-)

·
John
586 Posts
MP,

I think you missed understood Square Trade. All it does is try to resolve the conflict between seller and buyer.

Quote below taken from site:
"The mediator's role is to facilitate positive, solution-oriented discussion between the parties."

So bascailly its just another way for eBay to make more money out of you. Hate to tell you this buddy, but you got conned.

For further info on Square Trade:
http://www.squaretrade.com/cnt/jsp/odr/lea...ntid=fvnndr72f1

Sorry to tell you that. I am posting the link so everyone can see what Square Trade is all about. I don't recommend using it!

MP, tell that guy tough luck and grow up. As a buyer and an "intelligent adult," he has the responsibility to shop and compare prices before purchasing. He bidded, he won, he should pay the full amount.

If you haven't already, I would suggest leaving a response to the negative feedback: " Buyer refused to take responsibility for his decision to bid and purchase."

Again, sorry to hear about the situation.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know, This was not my deal.
I was just passing the story along :oops:
Thank goodness this wasn't me :x

1 - 20 of 32 Posts