DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Picked this straggler up tonight while walking around the local shops and decided it could come with me :).

It's the Classic Carlectables 1:18 scale Silver 1968 XT GT. If the gold XR previously released was anything to go by for quality on these models.. This one is as good if not better! Limited edition of only 2500 world wide with certificate of Authenticity.

Anyhoo.. pics.. and if anyone with the Canon 300D or rebel/Kiss as its known around the globe, has pointers for taking close up macro shots .. please let me know!..

·
Registered
817 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
hehe sometimes .. but not often! :giggle They tend to be lured to large somes of money which in turn hook line and sinkers them.. and in the end.. they end up following you home and even making their way into your cabinets and up on your shelves! their they sit until spoken to or played with! :giggle :giggle :lol

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou Souky! :cheers :cheers I'm still trying to work out what settings are best for close up shots to be all in focus on my new digital 300D and till that time my pics will suffer a little i think :|. Great car though this GT! well worth a look. Oh forgot to mention it has left a huge hole in my already shallow wallet! @ $200 each I will only be getting one! :lol

G

·
Nice addition Stach; I have one on pre-order - for considerably less than $200AUS though - that's stiff dude. After having missed out on the gold, I can say I'm not too disappointed as the silver looks great.

These latest CCs are great - I just got the #52 Falcon XR GT Bathurst winner and the Beechey / McKeown Charger and I'm thrilled with both. Can't wait for the ZL-1 and the Bob Jane Mustang.

Cheers

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Sweet car Stach :nicejob
Congrats :cheers

Te UPS man just dropped of the #52 a few minutes ago :danbana :danbana

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Fantastic Stach!!! I'm thinking of getting one of them myself!!!

Vegasracer/Jeff gave me good advice on using the 300D. The first thing you need is a good tripod. Secondly you set the camera dial to "Av" and select the maximum value (f18 or so). This increases the aperature so the camera has a much greater depth of focus. Hence if you focus in the middle of the car the ends are in focus too. The tripod is necessary as the shutter speed is slowed down, hence you will ruin the picture with shake if you hold the camera in your hands. Also, pressing the shutter button also causes shake, so the best thing to do is get a remote shutter release button. This plugs into the side of the camera and allows you to release the shutter again without shaking the camera. Alternatively you can select the timer release option for the shutter, but this can become a pain as you have to wait the 5 seconds or so to take each picture accompanied by the "beep-beep-beep" of the camera after you press the shutter.

All the above is probably as clear as mud but if you can figure it out you can get results like this:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote name='Ronan' date='Sep 24 2004, 04:22 AM']
Fantastic Stach!!! I'm thinking of getting one of them myself!!!

Vegasracer/Jeff gave me good advice on using the 300D. The first thing you need is a good tripod. Secondly you set the camera dial to "Av" and select the maximum value (f18 or so). This increases the aperature so the camera has a much greater depth of focus. Hence if you focus in the middle of the car the ends are in focus too. The tripod is necessary as the shutter speed is slowed down, hence you will ruin the picture with shake if you hold the camera in your hands. Also, pressing the shutter button also causes shake, so the best thing to do is get a remote shutter release button. This plugs into the side of the camera and allows you to release the shutter again without shaking the camera. Alternatively you can select the timer release option for the shutter, but this can become a pain as you have to wait the 5 seconds or so to take each picture accompanied by the "beep-beep-beep" of the camera after you press the shutter.

Thankyou very very much ROnan! i will give it a try asap!.. what lense are you using to take the shots? the 18-55mm that came with it or a proper macro lense?

thanks again Doc :) always a pleasure to recieve help from you! :cheers :cheers

G

·
Ronan said:
The first thing you need is a good tripod. Secondly you set the camera dial to "Av" and select the maximum value (f18 or so). This increases the aperature so the camera has a much greater depth of focus. Hence if you focus in the middle of the car the ends are in focus too.
My camera is so ghetto, it doesn't even have that feature! :nutkick

Can I have your Eagle? :giggle

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
My pleasure Stach! It is such a good camera it would be a shame not to use it to it's full potential. To date I've been using the lens that came with the camera, which I find pretty good. At some stage I may look into a dedicated macro lens for even closer shots, but for the moment I'm very happy with the included lens! :cheers

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah for some reason when i put the aperture right up in AV i still have bits outs focus all over the place :\ kinda frustrating sometimes :lol. Do you use the flash?
how far away is the camera when you take your model pics? :cheers :cheers

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I do use the flash, but I'm probably one of the few who do for close up work! I just like the model to be really well lit!

Hmmm, make sure you are focusing say around the base of the windscreen for front quarter views, and around the back of the rear door or so for rear quarter shots. The far end of the model, depending on the shot will probably be slightly out of focus, but in general the picture should look focused. Don't forget, if you try the Av function without a tripod you are generally wasting your time as the picture will be all over the place! Not to mention that pressing the shutter release button manually without using the delay timer or a remote lead will also ruin the picture with shake, even with a tripod. The main thing is keep trying as you will get the hang of it quickly and the results will be superb! :cheers

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok thanks to Ronan for all his help with taking shots with the Canon 300D! i think ive got it lads! :giggle :giggle

1 - 20 of 28 Posts