DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
McLaren F1 guru
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The long awaited MC12 is here and I just got it the other day! Here's a quick review (sorta), because I know one has already been posted.

First of all, the packaging is definitely the worst part about this beast. You take it out of the box, and it has 5 screws attaching it to the base. And these aren't the short or average screws, these are pretty long. So it takes some arm work to get one out and do it again 4 times. The worst part for mine was that one of the screws came frayed, so I had to really try to get that thing out. Then, on the back of the underside there are a few veerry small rubber wires holding the engine shut and they are impossible to cut, so you have to wedge something like a pencil under them and then cut the area thats in air. It took me about 20 minutes to get this thing off the base and get all the wires and plastic fasteners off! :ranting

Anyway, the paint will strike you as beautiful if you look at it under the light. It's very neatly applied, no smudges at all on mine, very glossy and sparkly.

Something that will hit you immediately is the size. It is about as long as the Ricko Cadillac Sixteen. I was expecting a huge model so I wasn't surprised, but look at this comparison with the Hot Wheels Enzo:
:scared

And here with the Ricko Cadillac Sixteen, which is known for being absolutely huge:
:WTF But after all, it is a very long car. I give them credit with matching the size. Plus, the interior features are the same size as the Enzo, so this is probably pretty close to the real proportions.

Wheels and tires have already been talked about a lot. Yes, they are very big, but still they look pretty nice. I prefer them over small wheels. The brakes are DEFINITELY Hot Wheels's best brake job ever. Calipers with the Maserati logo which stay in place as the rotors (which are OK in detail, not the best but definitely not the worst) spin freely. The wheels, even though very big, are very highly detailed as well. Like the Maisto Porsche Carrera GT production version, one has the center of the brakes painted red with a logo and one side has the center painted blue. A very nice touch.

The interior (no pics, sorry) is pretty much the same as the interior for the Enzo, except here it is mostly dark blue, which is nice instead of a typical all-black interior. Expect similar to the Enzo. I couldn't get any pics because my camera is terrible with very close range shots.

Engine is also very good, also similar to that on the Enzo. Chromey, with Maserati logos, good colors and very accurate detail. Really spectacular for a Hot Wheels:

Proportions is one of the best categories here! It seriously looks absolutely spot on in every area. I can't remember the last time I had a vehicle like that! It's just gorgeous. Very low to the ground. Only proportion issue I think would be the wheels, a tad bit big in the front.
Exhaust looks wonderful!

As far as detailing goes, it's just phenomenal. I swear, at a very close look the fine detailing rivals that of an average quality AutoArt. There are some very very small parts that are painted well, Maserati logos all around, just take a few minutes to examine all the little details closely and you won't believe it's a HotWheels model! :happy There are even little barely see-through plastic parts that have carbon fibre weave on them, for instance in the air vent behind the front wheels. I didn't know Hot Wheels was capable of something like this! They are also in a few other places, such as bordering the exhaust, which you can see in the pictures above.

Overall: This is a STUNNING model, especially for Hot Wheels's standards. This is, without question, the most high quality model Hot Wheels has ever made. Even if you think the MC12 is ugly, get this model just to look at the details. You'll swear it's an AutoArt. The only thing that gives away that it's a Hot Wheels is the weight, they use more metals. Just hold it up and look around, it appears to be much more fragile, delicate and of higher detail than any other Hot Wheels I've ever seen. Gorgeous model, definitely my favorite 1:18 that isn't a McLaren. This is a must have!!! :yahoo

Oh, and NOW who doesn't believe in the theory of evolution? :giggle Take a look:

:cheers Hope everyone enjoys the pics and words! :cheers

·
Registered
797 Posts
Great review. You must be thrilled. But I wouldn't say it rivals that of Autoart. Here is what I believe is wrong. I think it is a little oversized but not to much. The back corner lights are supposed to be white not black, the lights are painted on, and the front wheels. Its not just oversized rims. They messed up the whole wheel well. Even if they made the rims smaller and the profile bigger, it still wouldn't fit right. The car acually sits a little high. Don't get me wrong it still is an awesome and great looking car. Overall I'm loving the car also, and hotwheels did an extraordinary job on it. And that carbon fiber look behind the front wheel looks really cool!!! But I got an email from BBR stating that they are also making one. So I already know what $300 are going to. :yahoo :lol

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I just can't believe the scale is right on that car. I'm going to have to do some research on this! I've seen the (1:1) Sixteen in person and can't imagine a mid-engined exotic that size. Hot Wheels definately has a problem with wheel scale; the H3 wheels are THE worst ever, with the F430, MC12 and new Mustang close behind. Nevertheless, this is still a great model and is nicely finished.

·
McLaren F1 guru
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe the Ricko Sixteen is probably off scale a bit, it's actually a bit too small. They had to keep it small enough to fit in a standard size box. Isn't the Sixteen about as long as a Maybach? And those AUTOart Maybachs have the extra long boxes I thought. It might be possible the MC12 is on scale...but compared to the Enzo, it might be a little too long I guess.

For some reason, it just NOW hit me that the F50, Enzo and MC12 models pictured are all Hot Wheels's. Not only can you see how the designs of the vehicles evolved over about 10 years, but you can also see how Hot Wheels's quality has improved all over the years. Look at the MC12 - F50 difference!

:cheers

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
nice review but for me, still not a must buy...i just really really can;t stand the front wheels.... if not for the wheels, i would have bought it. It looks pretty good for a Hot Wheels though, but too bad the wheels messed up the car

G

·
I think the size is pretty accurate. If you look at the overhead shot of the 2 side by side, just roll the Enzo forward until the cockpits line up. Then it's easy to tell where the Mazerati has the add on tail and nose assembly. It's pretty spot on. I think the additional length is mostly body. I don't have the Enzo model, but it would be interesting to flip one over and see if the wheel base is the same on the 2 models.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Arghh! I need this model badly. Awesome car. Its one of those ugly but cool cars you never want to turn away from because it is just so different and unique. One question though. I have looked at numerous pictures and it doesnt seem that the actual car has glass coverings on the headlights. It looks as though its just an open light fixture. Any info?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
This has to be the ugliest supercar ever made.... it's definately among the ugliest and HUUUUGE!
Seriously, in real life who would want a huge bastard like the Maserati MC12 or Bugatti Veyron over cars like the McLaren F1 and Koenigsegg.
They are soooo much smaller and there is so much more of a supercar "feel" to them....

I will buy it as it's a cool car to have in my collection since it's ugliness truly amazes me. :scared

·
Registered
260 Posts
"Do you have your glasses on !!!! You can easily see that its covered in the first few pics by the shining. By the way, its covered. The plasitc is really clear." I actually meant on the real car i forgot to mention that sorry.

G

·
On the real car the headlamps have glass covers. They are painted inside the light housings with the blue from the body. Very nice. I plan on disassembling my R1 light assemblies, when I get it painted, to match that treatment. You'll have to use your imagination for now. Imagine polar white with the afforementioned blue inside the light housings. I think it'll be a great understated paint scheme for the bike. Then if I could just get a large enough home equity loan to put the car next to it in the garage..... :giggle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts