DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Haven't posted on this forum for a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time!

Sigh, well, life after graduation isn't what I had anticipated, and after careful thinking I've decided to let my collection go.

With AUTOart raising prices and models getting harder and harder to find in local stores, I decided to give up on the hobby and concentrate on paying off debts and student loans :(

How are you guys able to afford the hobby?? AUTOart's around Toronto are now at least $80.... I've always wanted a Countach but the cheapest I can find it is $100.... way too expensive for me...

Anyway, please take a look. Thx everyone.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've just recently joined so its nice to meet you. I got myself an AUTOart Countach for $70 on ebay. Always a good place to find good deals I would say. Sorry to say you have give up collecting and best of luck to you in your post-post-secondary endevours. :cheers

G

·
Hi Crab. Good to hear from you. It's certainly is getting expensive to stay in this hobby so you're getting out at the right time. Sorry to hear of it though. Good luck with everything and do drop in to say hello if you can. :cheers

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Hi Crab,

I'm still at uni and my advice to you would be to hold onto your collection if you can. Just think how much it'll cost in the future if you want to re-build your collection?

I've had to slow down the collecting in the last 3 months because of financial pains, but it doesn't cost anything to keep what you've got.

I'd only get rid of them if you were absolutely sure mate. Otherwise, just wait for a while until the financial sun is shining a little brighter to continue your collection.

Best of luck :cheers

Mark

G

·
I echo the sentiments that Mark has shared.

It cost nothing to keep them, however, if you require the monies at this time, I ccan certainly understand.

The hobby is getting expensive and shows no promising signs of letting up in that aspect. Hard saying goodbye to collectors under those circumstances.

Nevertheless, best of luck in the job market and hope to see you posting again son informing us that your back in the saddle. :cheers

G

·
hey Crab,
it might be better if you dont sell off your whole collection, some cars will climb in value in the future, but if you really need the money now, then that's cool :cheers

G

·
Don't do it man. I f you must sell pm me as I am in Toronto and would be interested in some items possibly. :cheers

G

·
The key is to get to know some of the dealers so they know you, and you can always pre-order or reserve an item for you.

I agree with you that 1/18 models are getting more expensive, and sometimes harder to find, so instead of buying a lot of 1/18s, choose a very specific theme, so you can limit your spending.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words!!!

But something really weird happened...

My parents offered to buy the models!!!! They said I spent too much time and effort over the years collecting, and even if some of the Bburagos and Maistos don't worth much, it's the feeling and memory of buying them that counts!

So I guess I get to keep them and get the money... heh, two birds with one stone! :tongue

Thanks everyone! And yeah it's not a bad idea to only purchase the models I REALLY REALLY want....

AUTOART WHERE IS MY LOTUS ESPRIT V8!!!!!!
THIS is the ONE model I will NEED to buy even if I can't afford to eat!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
That's great news. As a fellow collector, I'm very happy you don't need to sell them for the money.

Best of luck with everything and thanks for all the communication anyways.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Your parents are SO cool!! They must know how much your models mean to you. I'm real glad to hear they came up with that solution so you don't have to sell your cars. :cheers :cheers

G

·
No hard feelings with the sales. It's good to see another member is not giving up the hobby. If you ever want to trade feel free to pm me anytime. :cheers

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Thats real good news Crab. :cheers
I should show this thread to my folks. Maybe they will get me more cars. :wink

G

·
Crab,

Just be sure your parents don't discover DX, if they do you will never get those models back :lol

Congrats on finding a solution to your problem :cheers

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
You have truly great parents! :310 They know what your collection means to you and they want to protect the investment ( emotional, not necessarily financial ) that you have put into it. I know, my parents would have done the same for me and we are both extremely fortunate to have chosen them. :giggle :happy

I know the first few years out of school are the toughest financially but don't get discouraged! Even if you can't afford anything for a while, in just a few years (if not already ) some of your collection will probably become almost irreplacable. The ones you have now will always be special to you ( I know, I have several Bburgos that are 15+ yrs. old ).

Tell you parents that some anonymous person on the internet thinks they're great! :cheers

G

·
good to see that you got yourself a good solution:cheers
now make sure your parents hold onto those models :lol
and with that comment bout the AUTOart Esprit, looks like your not ready to leave :tempted

1 - 20 of 26 Posts