DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Must a model be in "perfect" shape for you to accept it or will you tolerate imperfections/minor QC issues? If so, to what extent?

G

·
It really depends...

I have found some very minor flaws on models and have flown off the handle. And then I have found some major flwas and just sucked it up.

I guess it depends on the model and ultimately if its part of a particular theme I am collecting.

G

·
Bad paint is bad. Misspelled/incorrect decals are tolerable (to a certain extent). But incorrect dimensions are unacceptable. Nothing is worse than that in my opinion.

G

·
I agree with Louis on this as well !
But I hate bad paint. I hate bad wheels. After that it depends on the car. Example : my UT GT2 "STP" has some decals problems but the model is soooooo nice that I don't care. It is also because I got it for a normal price...

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
To be out of scale is absolutely NOT tolerated. Other imperfections will really depend on price paid for and the model itself.

·
Registered
798 Posts
If I like I will buy it. But if you buy it and you take a closer look at it, what makes me kinda mad is for say the spoiler is cricked, loose and sagging mirror, one wheel that's to high, or a wheel that sticks out to much, or very nasty paint jobs. Otherwise I bought it becuase I liked what I see. I try not to let things like this seep in. Only some of my cheap Maistos have this problem.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Good question. I have to buy the great majority of my models on-line, so I don't have the opportunity to see them before I buy. I guess I'm somewhat lazy because it has to be a pretty significant defect before it is worth the hassle to return it. In fact, the only model that I have ever returned was an F1 car with a broken front suspension--you can't hide that flaw! So, if it is a flaw that only I will notice or one which I can repair, I will not go through the hassle and uncertainty of returning it..

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I collect for my personal enjoyment and not neccessary for "collectability" or resale value, so I can tolerate some imperfections.

My Kwan from Modelissimo had slight imperfection with one of the decals on the lower lip of the front spoiler. I imagine it was not applied during manufacturing correctly. It was upsetting to see a brand new model with a slight flaw, but at the same time, I knew getting an exchange from over sea on a very limited model would be a bigger headache. I decided to keep the model as is.

On the other hand, I saw a flaw in the paint on the hood of my just aquired dealer version of M5. I took this model right back to the dealer the next day, and they agreed to get me a new one.

It all depends on how rare the model is. If the process of exchange is easy enough, I would get an exchange.

G

·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
:iagree

but, as other have said, the flaw depends on the car. Can I fix it, would it really matter?

I'm going to look at a 1/18 MCBMW issue #42 M3 GTR today, it apparently has a door that does not close perfect. The asking price is cheap, but it will only work if I can fix the door or tolerate the problem.

My AUTOart 1/12 Mercialago went back 3x and now I don't have one. Too picky? I think not, I just wanted a little better.

G

·
In my experience there is no such thing as a perfect diecast. If you look hard enough you will find some mistakes.

:cheers

G

·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Wow Mike, still can't get a proper replacement? That's too bad because it's one good looking 1/12. But for that price, how can one settle with (annoying) flaws, right?

Picky? Not at all. I would have done the same thing (although the second return would have been the last straw).

·
Registered
253 Posts
I really dislike paint flaws, glue stains, and bad decals. I once purchased an AUTOart Lamborghini Murcielago and the "Lamborghini" decal was 1/2 missing on the rear. That is something that really bugged me. I am more picky with the premium models than with the budget models.

G

·
I have tolerated VERY minor paint chips that can be touched up, flawed chrome/foil trim whose appearance I have "improved" using silver paint and applying glue to repair a clean break or reinstall a missing part. This is mostly past practice since my current objective is to focus on a few select high end models. That being the case, I tend to be extremely picky and demand that my models be as close to 100% as possible. However, as stated above and from my 15+ years of collecting diecasts, it's usually a given that a model is never 100% free of flaws. For this reason I buy my models from reputable dealers and/or fellow collectors here on the net or in person while attending model car shows or visiting my local dealer.

Alex B.

G

·
I'm not a perfectionist but the one thing i can't stand is poor shutlines....it rankles me no end....

Seems like they left the hood up on the SLR after the oil change....... :lol

Even AUTOart is not immune...seems someone didn't seat the hood properly here, either:

I like the porsche so much, but the SLR is sitting in a closet until I can fix it...that's how much it bugs me. I tend to stay away from white cars and buy black whenver I can for this reason.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts