Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you a picky collector...
Yay...5352.48%
Nay...2322.77%
Define picky, and be very specific...2524.75%

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Being that we have a very broad range of collectors here at DX, all with great eyes for details, but most importantly; ideas and opinions on different models.

When the AUTOart Diablo GTR came out in black, I for one would have never guessed the side vents to be incorrect, nor would have cared. But it sent a flag up and AUTOart made the correction. (good for them) Then we discussed the Hot Wheels's Ferrai line up compared to the models of Kyosho quality. And most recently, the missing fuel coor on AUTOart's 996 GT2 in basalt black.

I know each and everyone of us has a standard which we apply to our collection. Is anyone that picky to if a model isn't "perfect" you will bypass it in hopes of another maufacturer getting it right. Or will you overlook the slightest imperfection. I myself will not collect anything, but I am not a very picky.

As much as I love the Hot Wheels Vipers GTS Coupe, I couldn't find it in my heart to add it to my collection due to the fact that it had the wrong darn engine it. :???: Has to be one of the nicest models of the year, but man did they drop the ball on the engine.

·
John
586 Posts
In the beginning when I first collected, yes I was picky. But now days I'm really not that picky. I can handle without boxes, maybe even a small scratch depending on how rare the model is and how much I'm paying for it.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
In the begining, No. I wasn't very picky. What can I say, I bought the Burago Countach.

Now, I have become more picky but not to the point where small imperfections are going to prevent me from buying a diecast if I really want it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have become more picky in recent years, largely due to my large collection and space. But I still buy what I like and small flaws can be corrected.

RonR

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I'm getting more picky all the time! The more high end models I get, the higher the bar gets raised for the rest I think! Plus with the space constraints associated with 1:18ths I prefer quality over quantity any time!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I started off getting almost anything but I've become more and more picky. I won't touch anything by Bburago or Motormax with a 10-foot bargepole today. Now the lowest margue that I'll step down to is Maisto and even then I'll exclude most of them. However if there is a car that I really, really like but a manufacturer makes a slightly lack-lustre job of it (and only that manufacturer makes it) then I may settle for it as was the case for me buying ERTL's Toyota Supra from FatF.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I voted picky :sm:

Because I've narrowed down what I collect now :roll:

More companies out there now to choose from :jk:

With age comes wisdom ;-):

Really its the fact that my wife would rather see 5 new boxes at the doorstep than 20 :angel:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I'm more picky about overall quality, than specific details. The wrong vents on the Lambo, the missing fuel door on the Porsche, the Mach 1 bumper, etc, wouldn't stop me from buying those models given their overall quality.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I think I'm more picky about overall quality, than specific details. The wrong vents on the Lambo, the missing fuel door on the Porsche, the Mach 1 bumper, etc, wouldn't stop me from buying those models given their overall quality.
:iagr: 100% Once the overall quality is good, small incorrect details (which often could be attributed to the model maker copying a restored version of a car rather than an "as raced" version (for example!)) will not stop me buying a model as long as the overall shape and quality are right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never used to be , but I find myself being a lot more "selective" these days . I try not to buy any cheap brand models (you know who they are ) unless its something no-one else does and I absolutely have to have it .
I have a soft spot for UT`s so will buy any of those , but am not necessarily put off by AUTOart etc , building cars which arent 100% accurate. Everything cant be perfect all the time ....or can it ?

·
Registered
817 Posts
When i go looking for models, its whatever catches my eye that makes me choose what to buy. But some things have to be right with the particular model car, eg, Wheels sized well to the model in comparison, the paint job and the colour of the interior, i hate looking at models with just plain tan interiors or even plain anything really, makes it feel very cheap and more like a toy rather than an adult collectable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm picky in that I only buy from certain diecast companies. If one of those companies makes a lemon I might be less picky. Example: autoart's GTR - wrong side inlets, no problem.
Ertls dodge demon - wrong front end, big problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After my post about Beanstalks Mustang GT Concepts, I guess I am indeed very picky

In truth, I am kind of picky. However, not in an "extreme" way. I want my diecasts to be authentic. I want them to be true to scale. At the same time, I accepts fake air ducts on Motorbox's 959, BMF on Highway 61, and so forth. I guess authenticity and true to scale are what I am after. Flaw? Well, as long it's not as bad as those Mustang GT Concepts I received, I am ok. ;-)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since Iv'e never known what its like to be in the presence of an Auto Art or Kyosho, Minichamps or anything other than Maisto, Motor Max, Ertl, Sun Star, and Anson. I pretty much get any car that I like and that is expensive in real life.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As I started my collection while in college (with little money to go to toys) I didn't start out picky and since I didn't do the mail order or internet thing for a long time I'm still not too picky (and since I only barely got out of college I still don't have that much money for toys) I just pick up what I can that I like.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts