DiecastXchange Forum banner
201 - 220 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
The famous Ferrari 250 GTO is a GT car produced from 1962 to 1964 for homologation into the FIA Grand Touring category and powered by the Colombo V12 engine. The 250 GTO stands out as one of the most beautiful Ferrari of the '60. We should never forget that it was born as race car form a car company whose raison d'être was competition. For this reason even if I collect mainly Ferrari road cars many of the early 50's and 60's Ferrari race cars are must have for me. Not just for their beauty but because no other cars represent the history and essence of the prancing horse brand as they do.

Getting back to the 250 GTO I will first present some of my older models as an introduction to my latest adds.

The first one of this Series the Kyosho High End version. This one has side exhausts and no livery. I have it for about 5 years and to this day it remains the diecast version with the most accurate shape particularly the front end. For this the reason I am keeping it in my collection despite having a more detailed version.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
For this second part of my Ferrari 250 GTO series I present you one of the most famous race version. The 1962 Le Mans GT class winner driven by Jean Guichet and Pierre Noblet. It was entered in the competition privately by Pierre Noblet. The car even finished 2nd overall 5 laps behind the Ferrari 330 TRI/LM of Gendebien/Hill, an official car of the Scuderia Ferrari.

When CMC released the 250 GTO it was quickly known that the shape was scanned off 250 GTO S/N 3809GT that crashed early in his life and was incorrectly repaired (front mainly). Despite this it was a must have for me because of the amount of details the CMC was offering. The famous #19 LM car was my favorite not only for its history but also my thought the livery would somehow hide a bit the inexact front shape. Anyways I never regretted my choice and now this model is rare and commands serious money. The race day car is well documented in pictures and CMC has done fairly well replicating all the details. I think the front grille should not be chromed but the rest is well done. I love this model for the amount details CMC packed inside. Enjoy the pictures.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Stunning photos and thanks for sharing. I really need a 250 GTO in my collection, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. As with others, I love the shape of the Kyosho Hi-End and the details of the CMC.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Very sweet, Arnage!!!

Like you and many others I feel torn between quaility/details of CMC version and the the shape of Kyosho's GTO.
What a pity that you cannot combine those two to a perfect model.

I missed out CMC's Le Mans GTO (what I really regret) but at least I got the plain red CMC.
Still considering to grab Kyosho's #19 so that finally our coleections might be just complementary w.r.t. to GTO...

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Very cool Ararge, even with the incorrect nose..such a fabulous model which is over corrected with the level of CMC detail. This is one I let slip away a few years ago when Wes was selling his, had I realized the money they would go for now I would have gotten it; though, in the end I ended up getting his red GTO and later the Tour De France version from another seller which is amazing in it's own right, but not nearly has famous. A great photo and some very nice photos of it, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Stunning photos and thanks for sharing. I really need a 250 GTO in my collection, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. As with others, I love the shape of the Kyosho Hi-End and the details of the CMC.
Thanks for the good words. You should pull the trigger at least on a Kyosho Hi-End edition they are worth it.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Very sweet, Arnage!!!

Like you and many others I feel torn between quaility/details of CMC version and the the shape of Kyosho's GTO.
What a pity that you cannot combine those two to a perfect model.

I missed out CMC's Le Mans GTO (what I really regret) but at least I got the plain red CMC.
Still considering to grab Kyosho's #19 so that finally our coleections might be just complementary w.r.t. to GTO...
That is exactly why I kept my plain red Kyosho and went with the CMC Le Mans GTO; beauty and glory

Good idea to get a nice Kyosho version from the golden racing era.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Very cool Ararge, even with the incorrect nose..such a fabulous model which is over corrected with the level of CMC detail. This is one I let slip away a few years ago when Wes was selling his, had I realized the money they would go for now I would have gotten it; though, in the end I ended up getting his red GTO and later the Tour De France version from another seller which is amazing in it's own right, but not nearly has famous. A great photo and some very nice photos of it, thanks for sharing.
Thanks a lot sir! At least you have two of the best colors for the CMC GTOs. I love the Tour de France version and if I wasn't restricting myself for a question of display space I would have gotten that one as well.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Four copies only of the Ferrari 330 LMB racing car were build in 1963. LMB stands for Le Mans Berlinetta. They were essentially a development of the 250 GTO fitted with a 4-liter 330 engine. Although the front of the car is visually similar to the 250 GTO the main structure came from a modified 250 GT Lusso chassis/body. The side profile and rear bears some striking resemblances with the Lusso. But the wheelbase is actually longer than both the Lusso the 250 GTO. The raised plates on the top of the rear fenders were actually necessary to clear the rear tires.

The 330 LMB did not see much racing, as Ferrari was moving over to the mid-engined layout for racing with the 250 P. One 330 LMB retired at Sebring 1963, while of three starters at Le Mans that year, two retired. But the car from the team Maranello Concessionaires (UK) finished 5th overall with the drivers Jack Sears and Mike Salmon. This is the car (S/N 4725SA) presented here in scale.

The model is made by Technomodel in sealed resin. It is well done although the interior and some details may look a bit plain. As a typical Technomodel the historic accuracy of the car is a bit questionable. Several details from the race day car did not make it to scale. It will probably bother the Ferrari purists but I am fine with it. The originality of the subject matter and its rarity largely makes up for the few inaccuracies. I got it under MSRP, no tax and no fees so I can't complain. Enjoy the pictures.

And a few pictures of the 250 GT Lusso (Hot Wheels Elite) on which the 330 LMB chassis/boby was based:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
In February 1964 Ferrari is completing the first newly built 250 GTO in a new configuration for the year 1964. Since the 250LM could not be homologated in the GT category Ferrari had to update the 250 GTO. The general line has been made longer, the front end is less tapered, air inlets are enlarged, the rear end is sharpened, the windshield is more slanted. The interior is more compact and has a more vertical rear window located between two buttresses. Three new cars will be built in this new 1964 configuration. And four original GTO will be re-bodied in this more aerodynamic '64 body style.

Chassis 4399/GT is one of them, built in 1963 it raced the whole season with drivers Mike Parkes, Jack Sears and Graham Hill. Despite a successful racing season at the end of 1963 the car was sent back to Maranello where Scaglietti fitted the '64 bodywork painted in Rosso Corsa and Cambridge Blue. Judging by the race results in 1964 this appeared to be a very good move. Prior to the 1964 Le Mans race a hood scoop was added and resulted in a 6th overall and 3rd in GT class. Innes Ireland and Tony Maggs drove the car with the Maranello Concessionaire UK team. It is worth noting that a certain young Scotsman by the name of Jackie Stewart was supposed to drive as well although it didn't happen. In 1965 the car was driven almost exclusively by Mike Salmon, although the successes of the previous seasons were not repeated. The car can still be seen racing in Goodwood in this iconic livery and distinctive blue wheels. It is one of the most successful Ferrari 250 GTO.

A scale model of 4399/GT in his Le Mans race day configuration was done last year by CMR. Details and historic accuracy for the price point are excellent but the shape is a bit off and that was bothering me. I decided to wait for the Tecnomodel version that was released earlier this year. Sadly the historic accuracy and details are quite lacking compared to the CMR. But at least the Tecnomodel shape is better, although not perfect. Maybe one day BBR will make the definitive version but in the meantime I am happy with this one.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Congrats on these adds, Arnage!!

There were so many beautiful car designs in the 1960s. This especially holds true for Ferrari - be it street cars or racing.
What an amazing decade!!!

Thanks for sharing these impressive examples!
Love the McQueen Lusso - have the same...

201 - 220 of 261 Posts