DiecastXchange Forum banner
241 - 260 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
The next model presented here is the Bugatti Type 51 Dubos Coupe by Cult Scale Models.

The 1:1 car started life as a factory Grand Prix racer, driven by Bugatti drivers Chiron and Dreyfus in 1931 and 1932. Then it was sold to Parisian André Bith, who converted it for road use by simply adding fenders and proper lighting. He drove it that way until 1937, when he took it to the Carrossier Louis Dubos to have this fabulous coupe bodywork built. The inspiration is clearly from the Atlantic coupe but in smaller size. When finished, it won the prestigious French concours, the Bagatelle. He eventually sold it, and the body and chassis were separated, the body finding its way onto a replica chassis, and the chassis finding its way back onto the racing circuits. Eventually American tycoon and classic car aficionado J.B. Nethercutt purchased the chassis and restored it to its Grand Prix racecar status. Some years later, the body was acquired, and now, with the help of many photographs provided by Mr. Bith himself, the body has been faithfully restored and reunited with the car.

The model done by Cult Scale t is quite small since the chassis of the original car is from a race car (the type 51 was the successor of the type 35). It is quite simple but represents well the existing restoration of the car. Resin is actually ideal material for this kind of niche subject model. It display well next to my other Bugatti although it is tiny compared to my Type 57 Atlantic, Atlante and Corsica. But I think it is very cute and kinda special in this maroon metallic color.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Sweet add, Arnage!
As you emphazise how small this one is compared to the Type 57:
Would you be able to post some pair shots to visualize the size difference?
It doesn't look that tiny to me when photographed standalone... ;)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Pretty cool job from Cult Scale. Nice add (y)
Thanks! I agree they did a cool job on this one.

Sweet add, Arnage!
It’s actually a short car compared to the type 57. The T51 has a wheelbase of 2400mm (same as the T35) whereas the T57 wheelbase is 3302mm. Still the designer/coachwork did a good job on proportions with a design nicely inspired from the Atlantic. I think that elongated spine at the rear helps to visually make the car a bit longer than it is.
When I‘ll have a chance I will take a pair picture to better see the difference.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Sweet add, Arnage!
Here are two quick shots taken in my display showing the difference in length between the type 51 and the type 57 (Atalante, Atlantic and Corsica in that order). Front axles are aligned.
Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Car Hood

Automotive lighting Car Hood Vehicle Blue

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Impressive lineup - thanks for doing this comparison!

Very interesting btw:
I conclude that the Type 51 is not tiny in all 3 dimensions but just quite short compared to it's brothers...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
Impressive lineup - thanks for doing this comparison!

Very interesting btw:
I conclude that the Type 51 is not tiny in all 3 dimensions but just quite short compared to it's brothers...
Thanks! That's right just shorter but oddly the design inspired by its brothers still works on a short wheel base chassis.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Didn‘t know about this short brother before - thanks for sharing.
I really like it - if there was only a opening diecast of it…

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
Next one is modern grand touring car. The Ferrari FF presented at the 2011 Geneva auto show needs no introduction. Same for the diecast model released by Hot Wheels Elite around 2014 I believe. It took time for me to decide I wanted to add one in my collection. And it had to be this dark blue metallic. So when I found this model (old-new stock) in physical diecast store during a trip in Switzerland at the end of last year I had to pick it. Different kind of Ferrari but cool car nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 · (Edited)
Another Ferrari added last year is this 512 BBi by KK-Scale. I have been on the lookout for a Kyosho 365 GT4 BB or 512 BB for a while but they are old models, usually have paint rash and bad panel gaps. Also good examples go for high prices. As I did not find what I wanted I opted for a KK-Scale. Those guys are on a mission to produce as many cheap classic Ferrari models they can. But you have to pick them carefully because quality-wise they're sometimes a bit toy-like. I would have preferred a 365 GT4 BB but few thing bugged me with the rear so I went with a full red 512 BBi which is the latest version (with Bosch fuel injection). The model came with a few QC issues that were completely fixable. The worst as always with KK is their wobbly wheels that needs adjustment. Also the tires were super shiny, still full of mold release agent. Windows needed adjustment and I had to add black paint on some of the trims. Anyways the models fill a gap in my Ferrari collection until a better model is released one day.

·
Premium Member
13,288 Posts
That really looks better than my 365 BB, not sure why. I know your photos are damn good. The lighting helps a lot. The paint looks very smooth. Mine does not appear as good. And I have the same issues with the wheels. They are wobbly, and I feel like they might fall off any moment. I did take mine out for more photos, outside. And it does look the part. You just have to hide the details. It is a placeholder for me as well. I actually really like the 365 with the 6 taillights and exhaust outlets. It is a very cool, fun design.

Reactions: Arnage

·
Premium Member
13,288 Posts
Next one is modern grand touring car. The Ferrari FF presented at the 2011 Geneva auto show needs no introduction. Same for the diecast model released by Hot Wheels Elite around 2014 I believe. It took time for me to decide I wanted to add one in my collection. And it had to be this dark blue metallic. So when I found this model (old-new stock) in physical diecast store during a trip in Switzerland at the end of last year I had to pick it. Different kind of Ferrari but cool car nonetheless
I picked up two of these when they were released, white and red. I really should have gotten this one. I love the blue and red color combo. I think it is perfect. My red turned into a Novitec custom in Grigio Silverstone. And I still have the white version. I always hoped to make it math Ian Poulter's Tailor Made FF. One day I might get around to that.

And I believe these were released earlier in 2013, or 2012. I had mine before I moved to Australia in 2013. Although, maybe the blue was a later release after red.

Anyways, very cool model. One of my favorites that I don't have. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Arnage
241 - 260 of 261 Posts