DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Stevie gets a kill sticker and Jeff (MP) gets a huge thank you for relaying this model to me from the US. :happy :happy Were it not for the 30% discount, there's no way I would have gotten this. It's made by Spark Model who is venturing more & more into the 1:24. I've been longing for this car for a while and finally found a place that sold it for a decent discount. This livery is by far my favourite amongst the various DBR9 liveries. The thing I like most about it is that it wears no "lipstick". :lol

Overall, the model is very well done. The stance of the car looks pretty accurate and the proportions are bang on. Here are two photos from Russian Age Racing's website to compare the model against.

Paint/Logos
The paint is very well done and has a nice shine to it. On the surface of the car, I had to really scruntinize it closely to figure out if it used tampo prints or decals with clearcoating. It wasn't until I discovered a slight tear on the vertical end-piece of the spoiler that I realized the car uses decals. That being said, the decals are very thin and you can barely see the edges.

The hood and all its openings do look very good. The edges all look crisp and the paint doesn't look it was laid on too thick. The small details like tow-rings in the front & back appear to be proportional. The aerial on the rooftop and rear deck are also proportional to the car which makes the who finish of the car look very good.

Wheels/Brakes
The wheels are good to the point where you can even see the finely molded wheelnuts. When I removed the model from the base, I discovered the tires were a bit flatspotted. I think perhaps the model had been screwed on to the base a bit too tight, or the rubber is not quite dense enough to prevent the flatspotting. The Michelin logo in the blue rectangle appears to be a bit too tall. When you look closely, you can see the brake calipers with "Brembo" stamped on it. In addition, the brake disks look pretty realistic.

Rear Spoiler
Comparing it with a couple photos, it does look like it is pitched upwards just a bit too much. The uprights that support the wing is made very well though.

Other Details
Interestingly, the windshield is a thin laminate of some sort of material (almost like acetate). It's a bit sunken in so the windshield wiper doesn't quite touch it snugly. The rear diffuser looks alright from a distance but personally, I think it could be finished a little bit better.

·
I look good in leather.
462 Posts
Nice. Excellent photography and write up, too. I've seen these for £89.99 rather than the RRP of £124.99. I've been looking at them for a while, and waiting for some studio style shots and a write up just like ^^ that.

It's just the Michelin logo on the tyres that really bothers me...

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Congratulations Felix, and great pics of course. Steve and Jeff were their usual helpful selves!

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
So thats what it looks like!
Very nice :yahoo I was afraid to look to close after seeing the cost :giggle

One thing I notice in the picture of the 1:1 is the front ride height looks higher (More Solido like) than it does on the model. :confused

Congrats on adding this one, I know how much you like this livery :cheers

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Congrats Felix. You had to add this one sooner or later - it is a gorgeous looking livery. Maybe Solido will be tempted into making a 1:18 version!

Jeff, very good point you make about the front ride height/wheelarch. The Solido car has been criticised for having too large a gap there, but on that photo of the 1:1 the wheel actually doesn't come anywhere near filling out the arch. That was my biggest concern with the Solido, but it looks like they weren't so far off after all :cheers

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
As I start finding more photos of the car, I'm realizing the tires shouldn't have the Michelin logo in the blue rectangle. Now that IS annoying and I might have to see if that can be corrected somehow. I know of a store that constructs handbuilt BBR & Provence Moulage kits and such. There's a gentleman there who may have the skills to make this sort of mod.

If you look on eBay right now, you'll see one of these for US$89. That's certainly a far cry from £89.99 and a bit cheaper than what I paid for it!

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Thanks John. It was quite challenging taking photos of a dark blue car against a black background. But hey, it was still worht a shot! And yes, Steve & Jeff are two class acts. You should have seen Jeff's packing!! I think you could have dropped the parcel from 10 ft. without it sustaining any damage. There was some serious bubblewrap around the box!!

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
I think you're right. The gap should be higher in the front for sure & I'd say perhaps in the rear too.

Here's another photo shot from the side. What confuses me about this one is that it's got a "Conversbank" logo on the side plate of the spoiler. :confused :confused I've yet to see another photo with the car sporting that logo there. Plus, it does not have a a Michelin logo immediately behind the exhaust pipe tip on either side of the car. :confused :confused There obviously more to the photos which show different things than I presently know.

Once again, thanks for your help!!!! :cheers :cheers Your packing truly rocks!!!

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd love to see Solido make this car in 1:18!!! I'd be all over it.

I agree the wheelgap in front should be a bit higher than reflected on the model. As for comparing the ride height of the DBR9 at the Zhuhai vs. at Le Mans, the cars' suspension set up will be different for each track it competes at. Whether it affects things so much that the ride height would even be discernably different, I don't know. I'm no expert in that area (& maybe Jim could provide some real-world insights from his racing days) but a bumpier track may require the car to have more travel in the suspension (& hence a taller ride height?). I'm probably going out on a limb saying that so I better not speculate any further. :giggle

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Kyle. Yes, it's my first 1:24. I 'm trying NOT to get any others in that scale as I'm trying hard to stick with 1:18 and 1:43. Two scales are enough for me! :giggle I'm content with the two DBR9s I've got in the stable so I think I'm stopping here. Now if Solido were to make this car in 1:18, I could be persuaded to get it. :wink

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the kind words Mike. :cheers I think the sharpness of the photos is limited by how good the glass is on my camera. Plus, it is a 4 year old so some of the technology within is getting a bit dated.

That Porsche to the rear is a beauty alright! It was the car entered in by Lammertink Racing and it's the #87 car.

G

·
The more I see these Aston's the more I begin to care for them. I really like the color combo on this one.

Congrats on adding and thumbs up to Stevie for nailing it down.

G

·
Awesome car isn't it. It is so beautifull that i started collecting more Spark/Redline 1:24 cars. At the moment i have 2. 2 from the same race because i also got the 575 GTC Zhuhai edition.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.