DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Is this particular model by Revell very popular?

I have never seen too much mentioned about it even though the 1:1 car is quite impressive.

Judge for yourself.

When first displayed at the 1991 Frankfurt Motor Show, the mid-engined Auvs, named after a Belin racetrack, upstaged every other concept vehicle on display.

The Avus Quattro was finished in unpainted aluminium which recalled the racing heritage of the great Auto Union record-breakers of the 1930's. The Avus's specifications were nothing short of stupendous. The all-wheel-drive Audi Avus had projected performance figures that seem amazing even today. The car featured a 6 liter W-12 engine (with 3 banks of 4 cylinders) and 5 valves per cylinder. With the 6.0 litre 60 valve 12 cylinder engine, Audi claimed it would propel the Avus to a staggering top speed of 211 mph and a 0-60 time of 3 seconds.

The cylinders were arranged in three banks of four cylinders, and would produce 509bhp. The Avus also featured four-wheel drive and six speeds.

Year: 1991
Engine: 6.0 litre 60v 12 cylinder
Power: 509 bhp
Transmission: 6-speed manual
0-60: 3 secs
Top Speed: 211 mph

Sounds pretty good to me. So what is the staus of the model in terms of popularity?

THANKS everyone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not sure about the popularity, but in Europe the 1:18 was still available at retailers up to a year ago. I have both Revell 1:18 and 1:43 Avus plus brochures of the period for the car. But then I am an Audi and exotic car fan. It is said that only Porsche family board involvement stopped Audi building the orange mid-engine Quattro Coupe Show car (which preceded the Avus). They felt that it would take sales away from Porsche. So Avus being even more exotic never stood a chance of production. The model is a great testimony to what might have been.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
It seems relatively HTF now. I used to have one, but tired of it after a while. The only thing going for it is the unique finish, like the 1:1, but the quality - especially the interior - is less than impressive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.