DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah, the good old Autoart… I remember when these models just started to appear (date on the box is 2001), and it felt like there was nothing that could even come close — they amazed me, and I wanted more and more. All these separate chrome parts, detailed wheels, suspension, and what a motor! Everything opens, even the spare tire compartment is! Really Automotive Art.

Time has passed, and these early AAs are surpassed by many in detail, execution, finish, proportions. But ... there is something in these models that can not be seen... Maybe it's just nostalgia - but even with its shortcomings, the model is crafted with such a soul, such charisma. Excellent Cat, one of the favorite models of early Art. By the way, it cost only $60 back in the day.

·
Super Moderator
5,786 Posts
Great photos of a true beauty 👏 I have the white one and it has honestly became my #1 favorite model over the years, I just love it... I used to see this green one at the Jaguar mechanic that I took my 1:1 XJ8 to, and I was always tempted to offer to buy it 😄

·
Registered
342 Posts
Great pics! AA sure did crank them out back then. Funny enough I also bought it years ago on a whim. It was on clearance for 50 or 60 and after hemming and hawing about it I grabbed it in the end. I don't believe I ever took it out of the box either!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great photos of a true beauty 👏 I have the white one and it has honestly became my #1 favorite model over the years, I just love it... I used to see this green one at the Jaguar mechanic that I took my 1:1 XJ8 to, and I was always tempted to offer to buy it 😄
Thank you. Should have asked - perhaps he was trying to get rid of it!

That jag is gorgeous what a beauty she is. It is such a shame that when i missed out on the opportunity to get this when a local seller was offering couple of Autoart Jags for sale many years ago. I wasn't focusing on Jags at the time so passed up on the opportunity. This beauty worth a lot more now.
These are still not super outrageous for what they are. I highly recommend picking one up if this is something that tickles your interest. Great model.

Great miniature for a great car. Steve McQueen knew how to choose his cars !

I'm still surprised that AUTOart hasn't had a go at the XK120, yet another rolling work of art.
I think AA has their hands full with new Lamborghinis and McLarens, and dont' really care for old cars as much as they used to. Its all about making ends meet and shareholders happy.

Amazing photographs. I too got this model by sheer luck just a few ywars ago in mint condition and much cheaper. Wonderful model indeed.
Thank you. Agreed - terrific model.

Great pics! AA sure did crank them out back then. Funny enough I also bought it years ago on a whim. It was on clearance for 50 or 60 and after hemming and hawing about it I grabbed it in the end. I don't believe I ever took it out of the box either!
Thanks! Get this beauty out of the box and set it on your desk for a couple of days. You'll love it!

Pictures can be opened full size, btw, they are way better when looked at on a bigger screen than what DX is shrinking them too in the thread.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I hear what you mean about diecasts with charisma. It’s intangible and can’t be pointed to, but you just know when it’s there. Lovely photos that do this masterpiece justice.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A great model with some really nice details!
Thanks!

I hear what you mean about diecasts with charisma. It’s intangible and can’t be pointed to, but you just know when it’s there. Lovely photos that do this masterpiece justice.
Yup, there are a few of those. Nothing special, but very SPECIAL :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
A great diecast, I would say you'd have to spend a LOT these days to surpass the detail and quality on show here.

I bought mine, new, from eBay at the start of my diecast collecting phase in 2000 - Price? £21!

The online inflation calculator still makes that less than £40 today! What can you buy for £40? :(

Have you got an XJ13 too? That's even better! I did stretch to £38.50 in 2006 for that, though!

I just wish I'd bought a D-Type at the same time...

M

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A great diecast, I would say you'd have to spend a LOT these days to surpass the detail and quality on show here.

I bought mine, new, from eBay at the start of my diecast collecting phase in 2000 - Price? £21!

The online inflation calculator still makes that less than £40 today! What can you buy for £40? :(

Have you got an XJ13 too? That's even better! I did stretch to £38.50 in 2006 for that, though!

I just wish I'd bought a D-Type at the same time...

M
Don't have XJ13 anymore, sold it quite some time ago. Nice model as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts