DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the 1:18 diecast car. I have only 2 minichamps and 1 UT. I found that the minichamps' quality is way above the UT.

Now I am thinking about getting the
"Touring 2004 BMW M3 GTR #43 24 Hrs Nurburgring "
Autoart released this model last year, and the minichamps is going to release the 2005 version soon in 2006.

I am wondering is there a big difference in quality between minichamps and autoart? Should I wait for the minichamps version?

Also, some online dealer list the minichamps car starting with PMA. What does PMA means? Does it means BMW dealership special model of the same car?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Welcome jetlover!

I think the most important difference is the Autoart is SEALED. The AUTOart is slightly cheaper, but not by enough to justify the lack of features. So I'd say wait on the Minichamps.

PMA stands for Paul's Model Art. There are others who can better explain the history of the company, but essentially, PMA=Minichamps.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
:welcome to DX.

I would second what Lloyd said. I didn't realise Minichamps were releasing the same M3 GTR as the Autoart one. I know they released a few other racing M3 GTRs in the past. Either way, the most important thing is that the AUTOart is a sealed model, whereas the Minichamps will have opening parts.

On that basis I would choose the Minichamps. The interior on my Minichamps Street M3 GTR is fabulous, and I would want to be able to get to it. However, the exterior detailing on the sealed AUTOart models is also superb. Both models will look good on the shelf but a majority of members here are against sealed 1:18 models and would probably tell you to go for the Minichamps.

I will also leave the PMA explanantion to someone with better knowledge, but nowadays PMA is basically the same thing as Minichamps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help.

I found the preview lists while surfing the web. I just reread the lists again, however; looks like the minichamps M3 GTR 2005 24 hrs winner is only 1:43 scale :(

Here r the links I found:
http://www.sportcraftcars.com/Minichamps%2...ucts%20List.pdf
http://www.minigrid.com/ProductList.cfm?Pr...D=79&StartRow=1

However, I am happy that this is coming out:
"BMW CSL 3.5 'Faltz' Grohs/Posey/De Fierlant 24 Hrs Le Mans 1976 - 1/18 Scale"
I am about to buy the minichamps "BMW 3.5 CSL IMSA 6HOURS RIVERSIDE 1975 SAM POSEY" which is basically blue strips on white body; now the "BMW CSL 3.5 'Faltz'" is much more colorful. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
as an owner of both the AUTOart and Minchamps m3 GTRs (though the AUTOart is the black street model and the Minichamps is #42) I personally love them both. Personally, I like the AUTOart one a bit more, then again, I just got it, and haven't even been able to do a side by side with the Minichamps as it's not at my apartment.

--soheil

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Ray, do you specifically want the car that AUTOart makes? There are still the Minichamps M3 GTRs from the ALMS and ELMS if you can find one. It is a different livery but it's basically the same car. There's no way I personally could choose the sealed AUTOart over the Minichamps.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'd have to say the two cars are pretty different in body styling (bumpers, panels etc), not just with the livery. also the AUTOart (in my opinion) has a much more sleek stance, where as the Minichamps is much more "bulky"

--soheil

·
Registered
902 Posts
yes dave i wanted the #42 AUTOart so i ordered it today. ill have it monday :hot like the new banner, nice one. yeah the Minichamps gtrs are nice im waiting for one to arrive

G

·
Although the bodystyles on these two particular models are different - its tough to compare the two - due to the fact that the AUTOart version is sealed.

I do like the body shape of the AUTOart more - however, I would choose the Minichamps each and every time due to the fact I get more car with opening features.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.