DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wheel Tire Water Sky Vehicle

Always loved the butch looks of the 1970s through the 1990s Aston Martins. Bonus points for having pictured it so well in the movie 'Johnny English Strikes Again' where Rowan Atkinson actually used his own Vantage to great effect. Didn't waste a moment to add this model when a fellow collector and friend decided to thin it out from his collection.
I was reading here that the model is not true to the original, especially the front end but I am genuinely having a hard time to see what is wrong. That put aside, it is a genuinely well made model. Great engine and chassis detailing. Everything that could have been scaled down and displayed has been replicated on the model. Love how the engine is wired and there is also the lamp to light up the engine bay. The interiors are all black. I wish they would have been a lighter color but that is a minor gripe. Love the wheels and and chunky tires with well detailed treads. One visible issue is that the chrome trim around the door windows is patchy. Simply evaporated and has exposed the black plastic under it or dulled and looks like matte silver.
I am very glad to own this Aa, my second in almost 5-6 years now.
Tire Wheel Water Sky Car

Wheel Tire Water Vehicle Sky

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Water Vehicle

Wheel Tire Water Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Water Vehicle

Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design

Water Car Hood Sky Vehicle

Comparison with the 1:1
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I have the green one and love it too! This is one of the swan song models of big heavy metal AUTOarts. Starting to accrue composites begrudgingly and this is one of those suckers that definitely remind you it's metal. It also rolls so easily you have to be a bit mindful you don't bump it on it's way.

·
Administrator
34,981 Posts
A really smart looking model from them of a nice classic Aston!! Great stuff!! Nice pics & write up too :cool:

Reactions: winstoncds

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Very nice pictures and review. This is one of the last diecast AUTOart models, which in a way, mirrors the subject itself, since the original Aston Martin V8 Vantage was handmade in old Newport Pagnell factory, rather than the new Gaydon factory with the Mercedes-Benz power plants. I remember reading a fantastic article from Car Magazine back in it's heyday under the editorship of Steve Cropley, comparing this car with the other fastest production cars in the world back in 1984.

It's such a fantastic model too, particularly in that vibrant red, which looks amazing in your pictures. I added number plates from the Johnny English film.

https://flic.kr/p/2jovAns

Thank you for the post and for sharing. Enjoy the model.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
It's interesting the Johnny English references. I always associate it with The Living Daylights where I first saw it and was blown away by it (no pun intended). Although I think in that film it was a Volante so not exactly dead on.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So nice and these models can still be found for reasonable prices!
Not so reasonable prices around me but I did save a couple of dollars in the secondary market. I couldn't get myself the asking price when it was brand new in an online store.

One of my fav Astons! Totally agree with the sentiment. It's got that muscle car look, but infinitely more luxurious! I added the blue one earlier this summer and am extremely happy with it. Thanks for sharing.
Blue was my first choice as well but since I loved it in red in the movie, I drifted towards it. Infact I had already made up my mind to get the blue GTSpirit model but when it popped up for sale in red, it was a no-brainer.

I have the green one and love it too! This is one of the swan song models of big heavy metal AUTOarts. Starting to accrue composites begrudgingly and this is one of those suckers that definitely remind you it's metal. It also rolls so easily you have to be a bit mindful you don't bump it on it's way.
Green was my second choice to go along with my other British cars which are all in green. But these never came here at all. My first plastic model in the shape of the SE30 Diablo is still a couple of months away, so I really don't know what will be my feelings about it. But since it is the SE30, I wouldn't care what it is made of. This is my first AA in many years now. I don't even remember what it felt to hold a really well made model like this was. My other purchases have mostly been Norev Mercedes Benz cars which don't really give you sense of the occasion. So yes, I was very elated to get this model and click and share pics of it. Not many of this car shown around here I think.

Very nice pictures and review. This is one of the last diecast AUTOart models, which in a way, mirrors the subject itself, since the original Aston Martin V8 Vantage was handmade in old Newport Pagnell factory, rather than the new Gaydon factory with the Mercedes-Benz power plants. I remember reading a fantastic article from Car Magazine back in it's heyday under the editorship of Steve Cropley, comparing this car with the other fastest production cars in the world back in 1984.

It's such a fantastic model too, particularly in that vibrant red, which looks amazing in your pictures. I added number plates from the Johnny English film.

Thank you for the post and for sharing. Enjoy the model.
The Car Magazine article was indeed a very fascinating read and I can happily say I have 3 out of the 4 cars in that review except for the Ferrari.
I intend to add the plates from the movie too along with a bendable figurine of Mr. Bean which are all sold out now locally.😫

It's interesting the Johnny English references. I always associate it with The Living Daylights where I first saw it and was blown away by it (no pun intended). Although I think in that film it was a Volante so not exactly dead on.
I enjoyed the way the car was used in Johnny English more than the OTT stunts in the James Bond movie and I have never seen the The Living Daylights before though I have watched every other movie more than twice.

Thanks to everyone for your appreciation.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Really sweet, Kitefighter - best colour for this model and extremly rare!

Not so reasonable prices around me but I did save a couple of dollars in the secondary market. I couldn't get myself the asking price when it was brand new in an online store.
Well, here in Europe you can get a like mint AA Vantage V8 on eBay for ~200 Euros or below (if you are patient).
I think this is a very fair price given the quality of this diecast...

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree that the Aston Martin V8 scenes in the Living Daylights isn't appealing but the James Bond franchise redeemed themselves in No Time to Die. AUTOart did a fantastic job on the colour with this model too.
Oh you are making me want that Aston now. The red interiors look real nice on the car. Do you have all the colors of the Vantage?

Really sweet, Kitefighter - best colour for this model and extremly rare!

Well, here in Europe you can get a like mint AA Vantage V8 on eBay for ~200 Euros or below (if you are patient).
I think this is a very fair price given the quality of this diecast...
I cannot really complain. I got it for around 185 Euros at present exchange rates. But looking at ebay, there are none of these for sub 200 currently.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Hello,

I just have the two in my collection, which is not something I would normally do, but this is a very special model and I couldn't decide which colour I liked best. I'll probably sell one later to pay for another model, possibly the beautiful looking 1968 Aston Martin DBS by Cult Models or GT Spirit if I can find one.

Cult Models

1 - 16 of 16 Posts