DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:happy Hi Guys

I found a very interesting article in the Australian's car magazine, I though I should share it with everyone, This Article will take you to behind the scene of Autoart/Gateway company, interview with Autoart man "Jimmy Yee", few related topics also covered here, licensing, number of models they produce each day/year, biggest selling and biggest flop Autoart model, process of prototyping/building the models etc.

This article probably answered some of question been posted earlier in the forum.

enjoy

Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle Wheel

Automotive parking light Car Photograph Hood Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
:iagree Thanks for posting them! It is essentially the same article as appeared a month ago in Car and Driver (I think) but with an added Australian spin on it I think.

I noticed a red 4 door prototype BMW in one of the pics, a 1960s "new klasse" BMW I believe (precursor to the 5 series). That would make a nice new addition! :cheers

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Thanks for the read! :cheers As Ronan and others said, it's basically the same article as the one that came out in C&D but this one sounds a bit more complete.

And as Louis said, I find amazing to know that such a big company doesn't do any kind of pre-marketing research to know what their prospective consumers would buy.
:help

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Thanks so much for posting this :nicejob

I also agree that it is very odd not to contact your customers to see what they want :confused

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to let you know, this is almost impossible to do.
Just check out one of the topics about the wish list.
Most of the models mentioned are only listed once. How can a diecast company base their future releases on just a couple of requests.
I have received requests for almost every single cars that have not been made in diecast yet. This is why the decision is a very difficult one to make. Sometimes we are just shooting in the dark and hope to hit something.

:cheers

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Denis, it is not impossible.
I have been asked by Ford, General Motors, Whirpool, GE, H-P, KeyBank, Romito's Smoke Shop, Medic Drug and many other companies what I, as a consumer would like to see.
Even suppliers (I am in Construction) get with their customers a couple times a year to see if they can come up with anything we want.

I would think that if I was in the consumer goods business, I would find a way to know my customers better than just taking a shot in the dark.

Come on AUTOart, if any company is able to move the Diecast BUSINESS to the modern way of doing consumer research and knowing your customers, you guys should be able to do it!
Or, at least hire a company that can do it for you.

It is very interesting reading that Mr Yee feels that "only Americans will buy American cars and in stingey numbers" and that there was surprise that the Panoz didn't sell. Who in the world thought it would sell???
How many people have even seen one in person :giggle

I will repeat myself here, any company making consumer goods (and a luxury item at that!) HAS to work very hard to know what their customer wants and who he is.

I have been involved in this hobby since before the AUTOart brand existed and no company has ever made an effort to know me or my wants , nor anyone I know.

Whirlpool has asked me at least 3 times what features I want in my next washer in that same period of time and I haven't bought one in 20 years :giggle

·
Registered
609 Posts
Simple fact is asking on one diecast forum what people want modelled next is not going to work, to small a sample. Either AUTOart should put a postage paid sample form in 10% or 20% or whatever ratio of its models and get feedback that way, or put some kind of survey up on its website to get a sizeable amount of feedback.

Like I said getting 100 people on a forum to say they want a car modelled doesn't mean that car will make a profit.

Heck I'm on an mx6 forum and if I asked there if they would buy a 1:18 scale mx6 i'd probably get at least 100 people since the member list is about 32000. Still doesn't mean it will make a profit, and I highly doubt i'll ever see a 1:18 mx6 ever made.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
:iagree Denis is correct that you can get a million one off suggestions when you ask "what models would you like to see next from AUTOart", but surely if you ask a big enough sample and a couple of models consistently get requested (such as racing Corvettes, or a BMW M5 for example) then it would seem likely that they would sell. Maybe I'm wrong, but given that internet literate collectors presumably do not mind responding to polls then it would be a relatively simple operation :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Believe me, we have been looking at many forums to give us ideas but like I said, there are sooooooo many cars that have not been made in diecast out there that everyone has his or her own preference and they each have their own personal reason for wanting that car. So we do listen to the demands and obviously we take all sugestions seriously but the market is different in every country and we are an international company so sometimes we will release models that sell in Europe but not in the US or the other way around.
Whirlpool has it much easier then us. They have a washing machine and they just need to add features on it. This type of servey is much easier to do.
We have thousands of different potential cars to make and each have dozens of different variations. The fully upgraded, fully optioned washer machine will be able to be sold all around the world but this is not the case for us. It will sell well in one place but not in another. This is why the decission is a very difficult one to do.
Sure, polls help but the diecast market is so different from one country to another that polls have their limits in the decision process. So we do have to shoot in the dark sometimes and hope to hit something.
But please, keep giving your suggestions. We are listening.

:cheers

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I totally agree with Jeff (MaxPower) I have been a member of the Diecast-pub for a long time and GMP, Lane, Maisto and, off-and-on, Ertl seem to hit homeruns with the models that they "consult" the member with. Many of these have skyrocketed in value in the secondary market.

Maybe AUTOart's problem with American cars is that they do not make enough of them. The Mustang molds are underused. You can make dozens of combinations from the '67-'68 and from the masterly done '71s, but yet AUTOart has only released a few of each mold. Why not make them in smaller quantities but in different colors and packages? A 3,000 run of each color '71 Boss 351 would be an instant sell-out in the Mustang world and with the muscle car collector.

And to base the success of the American line on the Panoz roadster is, with all due respect, ridiculous!
That 1:1 car was doomed from the start. I have a Ford dealer/client that still has a NEW one on the show room floor and they still want full sticker for it. But come on, you could had gotten a Prowler with the same 'cool' factor for thousands less or a Viper for about the same price with loads more performance.
You didn't need much research to find out if that car was going to be a turkey, all you had to do was ask! You would had gotten loads of responses telling you not to make it but to instead make XYZ.
If AUTOart doesn't want to make American cars, for watever reason, that's fine, but find a better excuse to tell us 'Yanks.

BTW,
Good to see you back! :cheers
And about the washing machine, do you recommend a good one, as I am in the market for one. :giggle

1 - 20 of 33 Posts