DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
This is a review for the Autoart Mazda 787b 1991 Le Mans Winner.

Some points that don't fit in the review categories will be discussed. The model comes in a black box, with silver etched lettering. The design is very simple and elegant. Inside, the hood and engine cover are secured to the top of the Styrofoam box. The chassis and accessories are packaged inside. The chassis is secured to the bottom of the Styrofoam box with thick plastic coated wires. I HATED removing these wires, as you have to unwind them from the bottom of the box, and then pull the chassis up and try to remove the wires carefully without damaging any of the engine parts with your hand. Just be VERY careful when you remove them. Luckily there is only one set of these wires. The accessories include a black cloth, a small bag of the wheel covers and antennae, and a small magnifier glass (which is missing on my package). On the topic of QC, if you're buying this model locally, make sure you check your model out thoroughly, as there are reports of: broken mirrors, missing rivets, missing magnifier glass (me :p), and badly placed photoetch parts. The chassis itself is heavy, and if the hood and engine cover are placed on it, the model is much heavier.

Brakes - accuracy=9 detail=9
Finding any 1:1 pics of the brakes was a chore. Comparing the model to pics and stats, it looks accurate. The brakes are listed as 14" carbon discs, with Brembo callipers. The discs are nicely replicated in the right colour, with little nuts modelled as well. The calliper is labelled Brembo and looks detailed enough. Discs spin with the tires and calliper stay static. Note that at first glance, I had thought the brake combo on the model looks very simple and badly detailed, but it's actually the 1:1's fault… One thing I have to commend AUTOart on, is that the position of the brakes on the axle is exactly true to life, meaning that they are practically touching the rims.

Engine - accuracy=9 detail=10
Beautiful. I'm not knowledgeable in the engine parts, but I know a detailed engine compartment when I see one. Look at the various wires, detail painting, springs, etc. The main part of the engine, which is a separate piece, is coloured in a copper colour, which looks accurate. With all the nice details however, some of the colours seem to be wrong. For example, that center chrome smoke stack pipe is coloured white in 1:1 pics I've found, and the little wheel under the cross members is silver instead of gold like on the model. However, the 1:1 pics are newer pics of the car, so maybe during the race, the colours on the model are accurate? I just love the little details that AUTOart reproduced in the engine, like that little clear-look bottle near the wing, with all sorts of clear tubes connected to it, with one tube leading out to the rear of the car. The two air intakes look to be hollow, and the radiator looking thing on the left side of the engine, in front of the rear wheel is a separate photoetch piece. This is the best engine from AUTOart, period. Moving to the front of the model, we see a big radiator with photoetch front piece, red tow hook, 2 metallic hooks, and a black mess. That black "mess" is actually quite detailed. There are some brake cool ducts (soft plastic), suspension details, and a metallic bottle thingie. Also note in the above pic, that you can see the windshield "clips" when the front cover is off. Quite detailed, I say.

*CONTINUED ON NEXT POST*

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts

Exterior - accuracy=9 detail=10
Starting at the front, the stance is correct, nice and low. All intakes are perforated, and closed by wire mesh. The smaller intakes on the sides are painted green as well. The red tow ring is replicated, and is a metal piece. The lights look fantastic, with the little bulbs replicated in the main lights. The orange blinkers have attachment stubs, but weirdly, are accurate as 1:1 pics of the 787b have those "attachment stubs" as well. The large light cover covers the light section perfectly, and the little rivets are modelled too. The sponsor markings, brand markings, and livery are all correct. One thing that was a bit wrong are the little air holes beside the "RENOWN" marking, they seem too small. The 1:1 pics show a larger oval-ish opening, but the model has circular and smaller openings. It's not too big of a problem though. The wiper is detailed nicely, and the side mirror pods are the right height as well. However, the shape of the side mirror pods looks wrong. The 1:1 pics show a rectangular shape with rounded edges, but the model's mirror pods have the bottom edge slope downward. Could it be the angle I photographed my model at? Also, there should be a little white edge on the left side mirror pod support (part of the #55 marking), but is not replicated on the AUTOart model. Something I noticed while I was doing this review, is that the door pulls on the doors are actually separate photoetch pieces, with the warning labels beside them.

To the left side (not driver side) we go, again, stance is low and correct. All intakes are also perforated and closed by wire mesh. Orange side markers are separate pieces, and have attachment stubs. Yet again, the 1:1 has these attachment stubs as well, so they're accurate. Shutlines on the doors are razor thin, one can barely see that the door actually opens. Shutlines between the hood and the body are larger, but are still relatively small. All sponsor markings and livery are correctly placed and sized, except for the driver names on the engine cover. As someone pointed out, the names seem a tad too big. On the 1:1, the edge of the names should end at the "Dunlop" marking, but on the model, it ends past that marking. The little circular port next to the driver names is very detailed though. The antennae included are very detailed and real metal pieces, but I've left them off my model. The shutlines between the engine cover and the body is a bit large though, but is still acceptable. The rear wing is at the perfect height. The little rivets along with the Mazda logo is replicated on the side, and the "CHARGE" marking is on the top of the wing.
On the driver's side, everything looks the same as on the other side, except that the exhausts come out on this side. The exhaust port is replicated with real metal "fins" (with rivets!) and a metal looking exhaust pipe, and is hollow. If you look between the fins, you can see AMAZING detail of the exhaust system, I'm quite surprised with the amount of detail here. However, from 1:1 pics, it seems the exhaust tip should stick out of the hole a bit more than on the model.

Moving on back, everything looks good here too. The slits on the sides are perforated, and through the opening in the middle, one can see details of the engine. The wing supports struts are correctly replicated, and so is the diffuser. The lights are all separate pieces, are in the correct position and look about the right scale, but have 2 attachment stubs on either side of the red brake lights. The 1:1 only has one attachment stub in the middle of the brake light. The little circular hole for inserting the securing pins is the wrong colour though, it should be just a black wire ring, instead of orange painted. Also, on the model, the orange pieces just under the spoiler have orange pieces. However on the 1:1, they're actually black and much smaller. I can't really fault AUTOart here though, as the spoiler is relatively heavy, and with small supports like the 1:1, it would be super fragile… But the rest of the spoiler viewed from the rear is beautiful. Note the strip of photoetch running the length of the spoiler, it has little rivets on the front too.

I'm going to talk about the wires/pins in a separate section. There are a total 6 securing pins/wires on the model. Two are for the front hood, which are located just in front of the doors (on the top of the model). These two just plug into holes on the front hood, after the hood is placed correctly. The other 4 pins/wires are for the engine cover. Two are on the side, just in front of the rear tire, and insert into little holes on the engine cover. The other two are on the rear of the model, near the brake lights. The wires are metal braided wires, and feel very durable and strong. They're bendable too, which is a blessing. The pins are small metal pins which are attached to the wire by a loop in the wire, which is then secured by a clear plastic sleeve (kind of like a keychain). The front two pins will not provide any problems when securing, as they stay in place very easily. The problems occur with the 4 pins in the engine cover. The two on the side are annoying because the wire is too long (and strong), so the pins keep popping back out. Bending the wire helps a bit though. The rear two easily stay in place on my model, but it was a pain to put them in, as the space there is minimal, and my thumbs are too big to fit in there. Use a pair of tweezers is all I can advise. Now, the length of the wires has been discussed, and many have complained it is too long. From the 1:1 pics, I can see the wires on the front, and they're long, but not as long as the ones on the model. The rear pins on the 1:1 are even shorter. However, I can't fault AUTOart with the length of the wires (and I didn't take points off either). It's because if they made it any shorter, it would give us no room to manoeuvre the pins to secure them in the bodywork.

Almost perfect exterior, marred by small things that AUTOart got wrong. Luckily, the errors are minute, and don't detract at all from the model.

Interior - accuracy=9 detail=9
Another hit here, but nothing we haven't seen from AUTOart before. The doors open on small realistic hinges. Floors are of course, not carpeted. The seat is felt textured, and have the best seatbelts I have EVER seen. Each seatbelt (yes, all of them are separate) are all fabric, with photoetch buckles, and the circular clasp beautifully replicated (see pic). The steering wheel is nicely padded, and also have that felt texture applied to the edge. All buttons are detail painted, and the dashboard have that CF textured molded. The speedometer part is disappointing though, as it's just a sticker. I was expecting at least molding plus detail painting. The gear shifter is on the side of the door, which is surprising, but is correct. Various warning stickers are all in the right place as well.

Paint - accuracy=10 detail=10
The model is adorned with beautiful, rich orange/green paint. The thickness is just perfect, and application is smooth and even. There is no orange peel anywhere. Note the engine covers and hood pieces are all painted in different colours (black and beige) underneath as well, now that's attention to detail!

Tampo/Decals - accuracy=10 detail=10
The whole livery is tampoed on (as far as I can tell). They're nicely done, and accurate to a T as well (except the driver name size).

Tires/Wheels - accuracy=9 detail=10
The rims are just beautiful and perfectly replicated. The gold inner parts of the rims have the rivets on the edges, and the edge of the rim is in silver, just like on the 1:1. The markings "MAG" and an orange dot are all there as well. The tire valve is there too! The center part cap of the rim is a metal piece, which is sparsely detailed and semi-inaccurate to the real 1:1. They are needed for the magnetic wheel covers to be attached. Note that the wheel covers can be attached to the front or rear tires, but in the races, only the front wheels have the wheel covers. The tires themselves are racing slicks, and have "DUNLOP" printed on the sidewall. This is true to the 1:1, but on some of the 1:1 pics, the tires are labelled "DUNLOP" and "FORMULA". I believe AUTOart is correct though, as in the various pics of the car in action at Le Mans shows no Formula markings.

Undercarriage - accuracy=8 detail=7
Not much to see here, as almost all race cars have sealed undercarriages. I can't find any pics of the 1:1's undercarriage, but I assume AUTOart did a reasonable job replicating it. The diffuser is nicely done, and you can see some of the suspension pieces here. Note the undercarriage is made of metal.

CONCLUSION:
accuracy=9.125 detail=9.375

I got my 787b for 165CAD, which I think is a bit steep. I can't say for certain whether Exoto trumps AUTOart in the engine department, but I was pretty blown away by the engine detail of the 787b. However, it seems the Motorbox XJR9 is just as good as this AUTOart, and yet with the Exoto sales, it's usually only 99USD+shipping, which is cheaper than the 787b. If this model were priced around 100USD, it would be a good deal. This is a very good diecast, the best of AUTOart's, in fact. However, with the price, I cannot recommend it unless you love the subject matter. I personally love this model for its historic significance, so it was a no-brainer for me. I anticipate a price drop in the future as well, since the COA suggests more than 10K will be produced.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Thanks for the great review Gary! Looking forward to the pics! :hot
[email protected]! you guys are just bent on making me buy cars that I had no prior interest on! :lol :lol :lol

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Fantastic review Gary! I picked mine up on Christmas eve ( my wife purchased it as a present!! ) and i am very happy with it. I am lucky as i am not missing anything. Cannot wait to see your pictures. Great work :happy

:cheers

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Al & Gilles! :happy

Al: see, it's all about the temptation! :giggle I've heard of a place in US that ships the 787b for 125USD shipped! :tempted

Gilles: nice! Even better as a gift! :D I've even bought a rotating stand just for my 787b :giggle

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Undra! :D

Undra: I hope yours arrive soon, I know the pain of waiting, I lost sleep a few days before the 787b arrived... :help

Gilles: I'll take some pics tonight and post them. Basically it's the largest AUTOart rotating stand. Now I just need to find a D battery :giggle

·
Registered
290 Posts
The review looks VERY thorough- I look forward to reading it when I have some free time on my hands.

I cant wait to get this car, although the wires are kind of starting to bug me a little. We shall see though what happens.

Now the wait is driving me crazy!! :pullhair

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks 118motors! :happy

Undra: hey, we don't know if the undercarriage is totally accurate :giggle I can't find any pics of the 1:1 undercarriage :p But I'm pretty sure the 1:1 doesn't have that serial # on the bottom :lol

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
engine and misc pics are all up now. And being the dumbass that I am, forgot to talk about the front of the model (without cover). I've included this part in the engine section.

G

·
Gary, this is one of the most complete reviews I've ever read. Truly fantastic!

Tell me, have you had any problems with the antennae? Mine tend to fall at the slightest touch, so much that I'm thinking of glueing them. It even happened that, after having set them in place for the first time, I spent half an hour bottom-up looking for the front one around the floor carpet!).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.