DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Ok so i am on the fence with this one, loving the black look but not hot at all with mainly the lame GT tampo graffiti

so if I was to add this to my collection ( because the price of them has dropped since new release LOL) I would be wanting to remove the unwanted tampos.

So question is, I was going to use nail polish remover to delete the GT crap,however the GT crap may be on the fake carbon fibre tampo so will not be able...

Can anyone here confirm if this is the case or would i be able to remove them without affecting any other stuff??

cheers

ADDED

I recall seeing that vid on youtube of tampo applying the faux carbon fibre so doubt its a runner...Damn..I can just picture this all 'GT' related grafitti removed and sitting on a glass shelve in my cabinet!!

·
Administrator
34,189 Posts
I'll be honest, I think it looks awful as it is, but your idea sounds good! if it can't be done, would you buy a cheap original one (if you could get one) and get that painted? The Black one Thorst has looks ace, really stealth looking!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi rotormotor;

I see you're quite a rotary fan. I'm new to this forum but a loooongtime modeler and diecast collector (50+ years). I bought one of my most fun cars back in 1974...a new RX-4 sport coupe (traded away a '73 Vette for it). I lived in San Pedro, CA at the time, did all the early Racing Beat upgrades, and used to go streetracing up on Van Nuys Blvd. before it became a beer and pot mayhem catastrophe. The RX-4 shocked so many guys with the muscle cars of the time. The only one who really gave me fits was an RX-3 with similar mods. The sad end to it was when I had it im mint condition, gave it to my #1 son. He loved the car but beat it hard, pulled the engine for even more porting and serious HP upgrades, but lost the whole thing after a divorce and stupid living. A waste of a really cool and impeccable car.
Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

I have two 1/20 RX-4 models, one I built to match the 1:1 car, and another I picked up on Ebay. I've striiped them both and hope to rebuild them into the original colors (Lupus Blue) and the white you see. Amazing car...amazing models.

But a question about the 787B: I recently acquired the Renown #55 car (a great diecast for sure), but the black one does look interesting. Is that a copy of a real 787B, or just one of a "game" car?

http://public.fotki.com/dallas916/20090524/

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be honest, I think it looks awful as it is, but your idea sounds good! if it can't be done, would you buy a cheap original one (if you could get one) and get that painted? The Black one Thorst has looks ace, really stealth looking!
I have the HPI little 1/43 in black and looks real nice hence the lightbulb went off in my head.new black one just as much as the #55 so money not come into it,cant be arsed with masking/sanding/painting #55 etc as I do like the white mazda tampo on it.

someone must have it up close in the flesh?

@deja view..haven't we met?

seriously I too have the bandai/entex 1/20 Rx4 kitset...they fetch well over $200US nowdays on ebay!! shame you US fullas had those dumb rubber bits on the chrome bumpers over there. I was almost the owner of a mint original condition Rx4 coupe gold with low KMs but owner wanted $7.5KNZ...I had only $6K...the brown interior did put me off it though...

have a 1990 Fc3s turbo rx7 nowdays...

·
Registered
70 Posts
LOL. I never gave much thought to those rubber ship-pushers...but only because they were required by law like all the other atrocious rubber stick-ons that the US made foreign cars add (like the horrible Pantera post-74(?) bumpers. I'd like to see pics of RX-4's without those buggers.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Hey Rotormotor, I agree with you that this car would look spectacular in plain carbon without all of the GT crap all over it, and whilst I don't have one of these models I fear that there would be no way to remove the logos without damaging the carbon print.

If you have seen the Autoart 2003 Bentley Speed 8 Le Mans winner, it has carbon fibre detail at the front with gold reef logos denoting Bentleys various wins at the Sarthe. These logos are part of the carbon print and I am assuming this is the case with the GT branded 787B.

The only thing I can recommend is a respray in black or to by some 1:18 Carbon fibre decal sheet and cover the hole model which will be an extremely difficult and time consuming process to achieve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts