DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hi again, fellow collectors. Here's the latest review and this one is for the 1/18 MINI Cooper S by AUTOart. My next review will be on the rather rare Ferrari F40 by Hot Wheels and I'll do the review almost as soon as it arrives from Tim from Mad4Models.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

It is of little surprise that AUTOart's model of the Cooper S immediately gives a good impression. The electric-blue paint (silver is also available) is perfectly applied and really makes the car stand out. The lights (both front and rear) are well made and look pretty accurate although the rear lights still have mounting posts but it is subtle. There is a curious flaw on the front grille…well its more of a gripe than a flaw - the grille on the production Cooper S is the same colour as the body work but it is chrome which is consistent with the concept/prototype but there is no mention on the box that this Cooper S is the concept/prototype version. The panel gaps are very tight and there isn't any unnecessary use of plastic (which we saw on the Murcielago, also made by AUTOart). The wheels are well replicated too and unsurprisingly, the discs rotate with the wheels while the callipers remain fixed.

The interior is fantastic, to put it simply. The seats are nicely textured and have the nice two-colour scheme too match the two-colour scheme of the bodywork The floor is fully carpeted and the inner roof is complete. The dashboard/instrument panel is extraordinarily well done and very accurate. People who own/have seen up close/have driven the top-spec Cooper S will notice that the model is the standard Cooper S as the speedo in the centre console is only like this in the standard Cooper S where the Sat/Nav screen replaces the speedo in the centre console (and the speedo is put with the tachometer) in the higher spec Cooper S.

The engine detail is very good too, even though you don't see much of it, which is the case in the real Cooper S. All of the parts are clearly marked and painted, almost to the point that the engine looks like a real engine shrunken to fit the model. The undercarriage detail is very good too with the gearbox and exhaust pipes well defined. Some people will say that the tail pipes look cheap and false because they are chrome but this is how the real tail pipes look.

AUTOart did a very good job replicating the Cooper S. Kyosho make the Cooper S in 1/18 as well but AUTOart's version is cheaper and I doubt that there will be much difference between them (although Kyosho's version is unlikely to have rotating disc brakes) so it really depends on which manufacturer you prefer. I strongly recommend the Cooper S to any collector.

Ratings

Paint/Decals - 10/10
Exterior - 9.5/10
Interior - 10/10
Engine - 9.5/10
Wheels/Brakes - 10/10

Overall: 9.5/10

Thanks to http://www.modelcarexpo.com for the use of their pictures

© 2003 www.DiecastXchange.com All rights reserved

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Another well thought out and presented review :jk:
So glad you are posting them here.

This is the exact Mini I wanted to get ;-)

Can't wait to see the Ferrari review :sm:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts