DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
This is a review for the Autoart Nissan R32 Skyline GTR in gunmetal metallic.

Some points that don't fit in the review categories will be discussed. This model is an Autoart Millenium model, as such, we get the standard Styrofoam inner box and cardboard outer box. The outside of the box has photos of the model, and there's a little paragraph on the side describing the achievements of the 1:1 car. To my observation, only the cars Autoart really cares about have that little description paragraph on the box. Sadly, the model is secured by screws inside. Luckily, the screws are pretty easy to remove and replace, and the model is perfectly fitted in the box so that the replacing the screws is very easy. I was hoping that all new Autoart boxes would forgo the annoying screws though.

Let's talk about the bane of this Autoart model, one of the things that people have raised concern over, the weight of the model. It's a VERY light model, even by Autoart standards. When I took it out of the box, I was already warned of its lightness, but I just wasn't prepared for how light it is. I haven't got exact measurements (UPDATE: model weighs 630g), but I'd say it weighs around twice the weight of a 1:24 plastic model kit. I think most of this is due to large use of plastics on the model, but it doesn't seem to have much more plastic use than other Autoarts, and this point puzzles me. Oh well, it's just a heads up, that if you like your models heavy, be warned that this model is going to disappoint. I've measured the model, and it is perfectly in scale, so that's a consolation...

Brakes - accuracy=9 detail=9
The model has very beautiful brakes. Comparing to pictures of the 1:1 brakes, they're almost perfect. The photoetch is very nice, with real cross drilled holes, just like the real car. The calliper is very nice too, with "Nissan" tampoed on it. However, looking at the 1:1 pictures, the "Nissan" words should be etched into the calliper, and not just printed. Oh well, it would've been pretty hard to do it on the model, I presume.

Engine - accuracy=7 detail=7
Comparing the model's engine bay to 1:1 pictures, it looks very good, at first glance. The right colours were all used, for example, the little blue badge behind the washer fluid reservoir, the silver pipe on the right, red logo on the silver pipe, and various warning stickers are all represented. However, I don't think the engine is wired, as there are many little wires on the 1:1 pictures, yet none on the model. In summary, a good effort on Autoart's part, but not the best engine we've seen from Autoart. One thing I want to mention here as well, the hinges are HUGE and ugly. I'm used to seeing these nasty hinges from Autoart, so it doesn't bother me too much, but they are completely inaccurate to the 1:1's hinges. Come on Autoart, you can do better than that! Another point of concern is the shutlines on the edges of the hood (viewed from the top), they're pretty large, even though they're not quite noticeable due to the parts underneath being painted in the same gunmetal paint...

Exterior - accuracy=8 detail=9
Starting from the front, everything looks good, EXCEPT the lights. They're very well made lights, with the correct pattern behind the light cover, and no attachment stubs. However, the shape of the lights is a bit off. On the model, the lights are very much like a parallelogram, however, on the 1:1 it's not quite that shape. The 1:1 has a steeper slope on the edge that's closer to the middle grill. Also, the yellow direction signals are a bit smaller and steeper sloped on the sides than the model's signals. Moving on, the grill is perforated, and so is the large intake hole (also meshed) under the license plate. The two side grills beside the intake hole and the two very small slits on the bottom of the front spoiler are perforated as well. The license plate is very well attached, and the word "Skyline" is nicely tampoed on (!). There's also a raised part on the hood for the Nissan logo, which isn't a photoetch piece, but is shiny enough to give the illusion that it is. I believe it is a tampo piece.

To the side, we see the stance of the model is perfect, very true to the 1:1. All the curves and lines of the 1:1 are carried out beautifully. The little "G/T" logo on the side are also done with a tampo, but it looks like a very thin photoetch. Another thing I want to mention is the non-existent shutlines on the doors. I couldn't get the doors open at all with my fingernails, and when I used the door opener tool of the Jadee Crown, I still couldn't get them open. I had to use a small thin plastic tool (not designed for diecasts :giggle) to get the door open. The problem with opening the doors lies in that even though the door handles are very well molded, the hole isn't too deep (not AUTOart's fault) to fit your fingernail in there. And please don't try to pull on the side mirror to get the door open, as the hinge on the door is quite strong and springy. This means when the doors are open, there's no wobbling or vertical movement, very nice.

Rearwards, almost everything is done very nicely as well. The spoiler, key hole, tow hooks (!) are all done accurately. The Nissan and GTR logos are done in that PE-looking tampoes again, and are very nice. The defroster lines are painted on the rear windows, and the wiper is quite detailed. The only thing that's wrong on the rear when compared to 1:1 photos is the shape of the white lights beside the license place. In the pictures I found, they're more rectangular, instead of the round-ish look on the model. Another thing to mention is that the 1:1 photo I found, the muffler tip and the whole muffler is silver/steel coloured. However, the model only has the tip in chrome, and the muffler itself is black. I'll give Autoart benefit of the doubt here and assume the 1:1 model I found had the muffler changed… Opening up the trunk, we see that it's nicely carpeted, but there's nothing much else to talk about other than that.

Interior - accuracy=9 detail=9
The interior is very well made. Starting from the dash, the dials are represented by stickers, but are very convincing. However, the model has white-faced gauges, while 1:1 photos have black-faced gauges, very weird. The rest of the dashboard and the center console are very well detailed, all buttons/knobs/vents are molded and detail painted. Even the little analog clock to the right of the steering wheel is represented! Wow! The pedals look a bit big, and the gas pedal is silver, which I believe is inaccurate. The seats are quite accurate though, but the seatbacks seem a tad thin :confused . The seat controls are very well molded as well, this is one of the best made seats I have seen. The rear seats are made of the same velvety material as the front seats and are coloured correctly as well. All seats have fabric seatbelts with separate buckles. Moving onto the doors, the interior of the doors are very detailed, and you can see the very 3D molded door handles, they look movable! The speakers on the doors are lightly textured as well, and not just some tampo/sticker. Looking at both sides' door sides, I noticed that both sides are different. The passenger side has an extra grab handle. This is accurate to the 1:1 as well. Kudos to AUTOart for not missing this detail.

Paint - accuracy=6 detail=8
The gunmetal colour of the R32 on the 1:1 is my favourite colour. However, it seems that Autoart missed the colour a bit. In natural light, the gunmetal paint looks close to the real colour, but seems a bit off. Take photos of the model with flash (or strong light), however, and you see way too many metallic flakes, and the colour becomes very "blue". I personally think the colour should've been darker (more brown), and the metallic flake count should've been decreased. Luckily though, the paint is smooth and rich, with no orange peel. It's a perfect paintjob if only AUTOart had gotten the colour right! :pullhair

Tampo/Decals - accuracy=10 detail=10
All logos are done by tampoes, which include the GTR, Nissan at the rear, the G/T on the sides, and the logo on the hood. All are very impressively made, as I was almost fooled that they are photoetch parts. The detail is just phenomenal.

Tires/Wheels - accuracy=9 detail=9
The rims are very beautiful, and the colour is spot on. The lugnuts are so well molded they look like they're separate pieces. Even the center logo is replicated perfectly. The tires have accurate tread and have a good feel, but sadly are unmarked (as usual with AUTOart).

Undercarriage - accuracy=7 detail=7
I'm not very good with undercarriage parts, but the model's undercarriage looks pretty good. There's quite a lot of detail there, for an AUTOart, but it's not really revolutionary in terms of detail. As I mentioned before, the muffler is black… is that accurate? :confused

CONCLUSION:
accuracy=8 detail=8.5

The wrong front lights and the super lightness of the Autoart disappointed me somewhat. However, this R32 Skyline GTR is still a very nicely made model, and I'm glad a new mold of this legendary car is finally being made. But with AUTOart's new and improved pricing, I got this model for $90CAD, and I can't really recommend it to everyone at that price. If this model were in the AUTOart Performance lineup (lower MSRP) instead of the AUTOart Millennium lineup, I'd say this model is a good deal. So unless you're a Skyline freak, or can find this model at a good price, wait a bit, as Kyosho is also making this R32 GTR model, and it's due to be released soon (4th quarter 2005). Note that Autoart has already announced variations to this mold, including: VspecII, S-tune, Nismo versions.

Review added to the DX Model Review Database on 2-NOV-2005

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Thanks pgb4, I aim to please! :giggle

The white one is nice too, and the colour is definitely right on that colour! :wink :giggle

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Good review, Gary

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mox!

If anyone finds out I missed something (or want to ask questions about the model), don't hesitate to let me know! :cheers

G

·
Another good review Gary. :cheers

I think that a 1:1 of these would really suit you :giggle . The R32 always reminds me of early 90's action films set in HK. :help

I wonder why this model is so light? It seems to have all of the details normally associated with AUTOart. But that said, it is still fanatstic. From your pics the rims, brakes, and interior look A1.

:cheers

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jim! :happy

Yes I'd love one of these... The 1:1's recently are legal in Canada, but they're 30K each! for a 15year old car! :help

I can't figure out why the model is so light either. It's not as if other AUTOart's have metal bumpers. Maybe the metal is thinner? :confused

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: Have added weight of model (630g), and dimensions are perfectly in scale. Note that I was mistaken the license plate being a sticker, the word "Skyline" is actually tampoed on...

G

·
I don't think that you could find an answer to the models lightness unless you take it apart! And i'm sure this isn't easy as LHD Chris and his E30 M3 can testify. :giggle

:cheers

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe you mean Alex and his red E30 M3 :giggle

I just picked up my Crown again after playing with my R32, I was just unprepared for the heaviness that is the Crown :giggle

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Gary, thanks for a great review. I appreciated it.
I am pleased that I am not the only one who has gripes about the accuracy of the headlight shaoe. It is fundamntal to the overall accuracy and 'look' of the car, and to get that wrong means that no matter if everything else on the car is correct, it will always still look slightly odd and not entirely accurate. I hope Kyosho remedy this fault in their interpretation.

As I have said perviosuly, I have these two cars on layby, and will also purchase the V-spec, Nismo, and S-Tune cars, as well as Kyosho's offerings. Because I am a Skyline freak like Sir Gary is a Porsche freak and Darrick is a Corvette freak, these things have to be done. I will also one day own my own 1:1 R32 GT-R. But until that time, the 1:64, 1:43 and 1:18ths will have to do.

Once again Gary, I appreciate the time and effort you took to write this review up. Top stuff!!! :nicejob

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't worry, it's easy to confuse the two. On one side we have Chris, who's a racing diecast freak, on the other end, we have Alex, who's just plainly, diecast freak :lol

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No problem Anders, I love to do these reviews, since I like to read about a model before I make a purchase, especially now that prices have increased...

At first, when people who have just received the model complained about the headlights, I wasn't too concerned, as from pics of the model, it didn't look too bad. But the more I looked at them, the more I found them weird compared to the 1:1's... I too, hope that Kyosho gets the shape right. I think it's pretty safe to assume that Kyo will get lights correct though, since their old R32 racers were decent in terms of shape...

G

·
great review :cheers

covered all important points, yet didnt drag on forever ( like i din in my past reviews, lol)
might get this one, need a skyline or two in my collection :p

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Chris! :happy

I've read your reviews, you don't drag on at all!

I think you should get this AUTOart only if you can't wait, as I think the Kyo will get the headlights right, and KNOW the Kyo is much cheaper :p

·
Registered
609 Posts
ajrichar said:
Gary, thanks for a great review. I appreciated it.
I am pleased that I am not the only one who has gripes about the accuracy of the headlight shaoe. It is fundamntal to the overall accuracy and 'look' of the car, and to get that wrong means that no matter if everything else on the car is correct, it will always still look slightly odd and not entirely accurate. I hope Kyosho remedy this fault in their interpretation.

As I have said perviosuly, I have these two cars on layby, and will also purchase the V-spec, Nismo, and S-Tune cars, as well as Kyosho's offerings. Because I am a Skyline freak like Sir Gary is a Porsche freak and Darrick is a Corvette freak, these things have to be done. I will also one day own my own 1:1 R32 GT-R. But until that time, the 1:64, 1:43 and 1:18ths will have to do.

Once again Gary, I appreciate the time and effort you took to write this review up. Top stuff!!!
I've noticed you've bid on a certain rare r32 gtr on ebay.com.au, I was interested in that car too :giggle

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Sexy model and excellent reveiw :giggle
I'm still not sure which color to get when I do finnaly decide to get the R32 though.... :scared

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Odin, I didn't bid on any Australia auctions... :confused
Maybe that wasn't me... my ebay ID is same as my nickname here...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts