DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for those using posterboard as a background.

I am using posterboard as a background, nothing extravagant. I believe they cost me $.49 for a 36"x24",

One thing that I am noticing on the paper poster board is the when I place a model on the poster board and angle it in different ways, the model leaves grease marks on the posterboard. :confused

Not sure of a better way to describe these moarks, but as spots. The darker the poster board, the more visible the stains.

When i use glossy poster board, I do not have the same problem. They tend to last a little longer if I can keep the scratches to a minimum.

Anyone else having these problems with the paper poster boards and any suggestion on what could be causing this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Grease mark as in - oily stains? If so, I too have that problem with several cars, especially GMPs... :confused

Fortunately the coated bgs I'm using are smooth (teflon like) so the oily stains can be wiped away rather easily.

Where do you get your bg? I got mine from FLAX art supply stores.

If I remember correctly, the glossy ones are called - 'cascade coated'. They go for $2 - $3 dollars each. The more expensive ones are 'mirror coated' and priced around $9 -$11. Expensive, but super reflective.

BTW, I usually pick up my models instead of turning it, that way it wouldn't scratch up the surface (the mirror coated bgs are quite delicate).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It might be a bit stupid.... but.... why dont wou try to put the wheels of the car in the same positions always... the tyre mark will be there but you will always(or most of the times) cover it with the wheels in the next photograph.

BTW souky, what do I search for to find those type of backgrounds? I couldn't find any locally

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Yeah I did! :lol

I mean can I find something not that expensive on-line?

Photgraphy studios have pretty expensive material... I dont know why, but Photography shops really charge high prices for everything....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I got mine from here: FLAX.

The problems I see buying from here are:
1) There's a good chance your bg/poster boards will be damaged while in transit.
2) The shipping from US to Malta will cost more than the bgs themselves.

Buying locally (in your case) is probably the most economical way to go, unless you can fine an online art supply shop near you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see, thanks for the information... I guess I will be able to find a european retailer.

I bought something from allposters.com, I must say they had cheap shipping and they arrived pretty in a good shape....

I dont think they have any backgrounds though.... Guess I will keep looking....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is exactly what I am describing.

I pick my BG's up at any local big box store or crafts shop.

Even picking the models up, the tires still leave the stains. Its been a long time affair, and regardless of how I move them around, the stains still appear.

Just haven't figured out why, because the looking at the tires, nothing ison them visible to the eye.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
That's interesting. I see greasy marks on my glossy background boards. And I thought some goblins were spraying my car tires with "Armor All" nightly. :lol :lol :lol ( I know, that stuff is evil for tires because of petroleum distillates) Anyhow, I often have to give my boards a good wipe to remove those greasy stains.

I wonder if our tires will become de"hydrated" one day and get all dried up and crackly??

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I have a lot of trouble with my white BC as it marks very easily, I just remove the marks in photoshop :giggle

A very good point Felix, I now wonder the samn thing :confused

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess it's the same problem people are having with their tires 'sticking' to the cabinets. The glossy surface made it easy to detect visually. Not all of my cars display this symptom though. My Exotos are fine and none of the Aas 'sweat', only the GMPs and Carousel 1s... :confused

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the responses, I thought I was the only one that was experiencing such problems. :badidea

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.