DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Here's the next review. It's the Dodge Viper RT/10 by Bburago.

PAINT
The paint application is very poor. It is unevenly applied and under-painted on the underside of the hood. In areas, especially on the hood, the paint is so thin that you can see the weave of the metal through the paint. The Viper emblem on the nose is a sticker that peels with time.
3/8

EXTERIOR
The model's proportions are correct and it is to scale. The parts fit poorly and the panel gaps are large. The headlights are made from plastic but they are poorly defined and even though the foglights are separate plastic pieces too, they have visible mounting posts and there is no chrome backing so they don't really resemble foglights. The side repeaters are simulate with cheap looking orange stickers. The tail lights are made with separate plastic pieces too but they also have visible mounting posts. The glass for the side mirrors is represented by reflective plastic film but it is flaccid so the reflection is severely distorted.
3/8

INTERIOR

The real car's interior was never the most attractive or ergonomic of interiors but the model's interior could look a lot nicer. The centre console is represented by stickers but the gearstick and handbrake are separately made. There is no carpet or leather effect detail and the metal paintwork can be seen from the interior. The seatbelts are simply two thin strips of plastic.
3/8

WHEELS & BRAKES
The wheels aren't badly simulated but the wheel nuts are poorly defined - the bulbous part of the rods that hold the wheels represents them. The brakes are very crudely rendered - they are merely small discs of black plastic and although the tyres are branded correctly, the tread is incorrect as Bburago's infamous generic tread pattern is used.
2/6

ENGINE & UNDERCARRIAGE DETAIL

The hood lifts to show the engine bay. The engine is several separate pieces of plastic and the detail is very good for such an old model. The radiators at the front of the engine are well defined and the water and oil boxes are nicely done.

The undercarriage detail is well done as well with much of the engine and gearbox being able to be viewed from beneath. The only major fault is the use of chrome parts.
5/8

COMPETITION
Only Bburago makes the Viper RT/10 in 1/18 scale.
6/6

DESIRABILITY
The model's quality is far from outstanding and many of these models were made so it is highly unlikely to become rare.
2/6

OVERALL
Although this model's design is over ten years old, it is still a big disappointment. The model is really only to be bought if you can get very cheaply or if you are a die-hard Viper fan.

Total Score - 25/50

© 2003 www.DiecastXchange.com All rights reserved

G

·
good review :cheers

good 2 c u point out all the faults even if it results in the model getting a low mark

I won't be buying this anytime soon

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Darren, Thanks for the review :nicejob
I think you nailed it perfectly :nicejob :cheers

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
While this car is one of my oldest in my collection, I think it's a really nice model for a Burago. Plus it photographs well.

But, I would replace it in a heartbeat if Autoart remakes it. :danbanna :danbanna :danbanna

I am really supprized that they offered the street version because they did make race versions of the GTS. :confused

·
Registered
994 Posts
Despite the quite negative review, I quite like it!!! But I think it's more due to the subject... :giggle

Thanks for the review Darren! :cheers

G

·
BVR said:
Despite the quite negative review, I quite like it!!! But I think it's more due to the subject... :giggle

Thanks for the review Darren! :cheers
negative...nah :giggle

Accurate...indeed :drinkbud

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Thanks for the review, CS_GT! Thank you for the pics, Eric! As :cuss as that model is, I'm glad I have it. It's either Bburago or nobody, so my options are pretty much limited. The RT/10 is an essential model and Viper to have. It's the one that started it all. I just wish Maisto would get a chance to make it!

This is one of the first models I had. I remember back in the day (about 5 years ago) CollectorX and I weren't into diecast at ALL! He came over one night and was looking at it and ended up breaking one of the seats off! :nutkick He came over again a few weeks later and ended up breaking the OTHER one off! :badidea At the time I didn't care. I still don't because I display it anyway but I just enjoy giving him a hard time about it! :lol :teasing

G

·
Eric:
While this car is one of my oldest in my collection, I think it's a really nice model for a Burago. Plus it photographs well.

But, I would replace it in a heartbeat if Autoart remakes it.

I am really supprized that they offered the street version because they did make race versions of the GTS.
If and when you ever get a replacement for the Bburago version, let me know I would be interested in buying it from you. Ive been looking for that model for some time now but I can easily see that it is too late to find it in stores now.

G

·
Speedfiend:
Thanks for the review, CS_GT! Thank you for the pics, Eric! As as that model is, I'm glad I have it. It's either Bburago or nobody, so my options are pretty much limited. The RT/10 is an essential model and Viper to have. It's the one that started it all. I just wish Maisto would get a chance to make it!

This is one of the first models I had. I remember back in the day (about 5 years ago) CollectorX and I weren't into diecast at ALL! He came over one night and was looking at it and ended up breaking one of the seats off! He came over again a few weeks later and ended up breaking the OTHER one off! At the time I didn't care. I still don't because I display it anyway but I just enjoy giving him a hard time about it!
:lol those were the days...sigh.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I'm gonna beat some new seats for it outta ya! :lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts