DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Cars were so small back then(or are they too big now?!)
I'd say a bit of both. I remember the first time I saw a Bugatti Type 35B and thought "this is even smaller than our every day city cars...." and still, these sould reach like 200km/h with skinny tyres and win races (lots and lots of them).Really astonished by how compact it was (and yet there's a straight-8 under the hood!).

Dirk, your photos are realy exquisite. I rather more analytical photos but every now and then I like this kind of photos. Seing your Maisto 911 GT1 reminded me of a Strassenversion I made based on one:

Yeah, the original engine is cheap but with a bit (lot...) of work you can make something nice to look at (IMO):

Sorry for highjacking your topic...

·
Registered
809 Posts
I very much like what Mattel did with the HWE 125 S (not to mention the HWSE) although I always found the tyres to be too skinny. Is there any other difference between them other than the wheels? On the other hand, the 166 MM wasn't so fortunate in its representation, specially looking at that ridiculous steering wheel (I swapped mine for the one of a 125 S).

Let me have a special word regarding the Auto Union Typ C Stromlinie: although I have much more detailed and expensive models in my collection, this is one of my absolute favourites. I love the 1930s ingenuity on taking a powerful grand prix car and fitting it with a slick streamlined body. And thankfully a manufacturer like Revell did it in 1:18 with full oppenings, because that awe-inspiring dual-scroll supercharged-V16 is a feast to the eye and with a bit (a lot, actually) of work you can do something like this:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Although I disagree with Gedas when he says it's the most beautiful modern Ferrari, I'd say that is reserved for the F12 (I simply can't get to like that pointy nose...), it no doubt is a very photogenic car. Great photos you have there!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Guess it's hard to say what should be the most beautyful modern Ferrari (if not impossible).
Since I posted my reply, the answer to your question became evident: the Monza SP1 is undoubtedly the most beautiful Ferrari in the last 20 years and arguably one of the most beautiful ever. I tell you, I haven't fallen in love at first sight for a Ferrari in a long, long time. I've learnt lo appreciate some but none had that "mind-boggling wow" effect on me like the Monza SP1.

Sorry for the off-toppic.

As for the 1957 250 TR, my relationship with its design is much more straight-forward: I simply love it. The way they tried to streamlin the front fenders while trying to keep the small F1-type nose just has me. Stunning!

·
Registered
809 Posts
As I stated on the other topic, I very much like the One-77, particularly that front end shot... but I have to say that front profile is very well depicted! As for the 488, I'm not a great fan (it always looked to me as if the 458 had a crazy night out with a Gallardo and they had a son from that one-night-stand. That front splitter really seems off from the rest of the car design. With that said, I agree with everyon else: the first shot is the best!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Haha, I look at Ferraris exactly like you: they're all red (or at least should be) by default and then there are a few exceptions. I have to admit I have quite a handful of non-red Ferraris so It's the proven-proof that all rules are meant to have exceptions (for example, 575 GTZ, 456 GT and M GT, 410 SA, 400 SA Aerodinamica, 250 California, 125 S, not to mention a few racing cars). The F12berlinetta isn't one of the exceptions in my book but still I have to admit it looks stellar in yellow. I'm with drivinghermad, the first and last photos are the coolest, one for the reflection, the other for allowing little more than a glimpse of the car's silhouette. Well done!

·
Registered
809 Posts
You've been posting some goodies, here! The Type 41 Royale Roadster Esders is an automotive masterpiece and Bauer (generally), did it justice. I don't know how the Roadster Esders bellypan is but for instane in the Coupé de Ville Napóleon they had the artistic liberty of painting the frame bright red!
I mean WTF?? And then there's those over-shiny wheels that are far from the cast aluminium original wheels. Looking at the photo you posted, it just rehinforces the feeling I always had that there's something wrong with the model's proportions, the wheels seem smaller than they should (after all, they were 24" wheels, take that Cadillac Escalade!) and the windshield seems too small. I mean, I know the original is small but that just looks too small. Maybe it's just the perspective that deceives me, I dunno...

As for the Mercedes, they're a couple of gems. Sir Stirling Moss' 300 SLR is a real treat, particularly under the bonnet. If you found a great deal for it, you did the right thing or you'd definitely regret it! I thought the same way as you about the Coupé and "not needing the 722"... but eventually made the same decision as you (although with the budget counterparts of yours). The 300 SL Competition Coupe is also a beauty and that story regarding the vulture and the makeshift windshield bars is absolutely true! Can't imagine the scare of having such a large bird go through the windshield and into your lap while speeding a 300 SL!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Thank you Dirk for having confirmed my suspicions with your measurements: indeed the hood and overall "shoulder" of the car always seemed to me too tall compared to the car's length and width, making it strange in proportions. And looking at your side picture, I have to add that the windshield also looks a bit too tall. Honestly, it's a true pitty that they didn't get the "basics" right: they focused so much on adding more and more detail and apparently overlooked the overall proportions of the model. That, obviously, doesn't make it one any less impressive miniature but it'll always be a heartfelt pitty.

Oh, and from Golliath back to David: damn, how cute is that Isetta. I've been a sucker for the Isetta for a while, especially on that red-and-white paintwork (I have one just like that but it's the "poor" sister from Revell). And Schucco sure made it justice, it's a really cute and perfectly done little bugger! One day I have to take some photos to mine with the camper (and its dead body inside).

·
Registered
809 Posts
Personally I do not see an issue with the windshield being too large. I even remember a DXer commenting that it might be too small
I was just saying that when comparing the photo you took at "the real deal" next to the Bauer side shot. Or maybe that's just exagerated by the proportions being slightly off...

·
Registered
809 Posts
The 458 GT2 was a piece I had some resistance to at the beggining. It wasn't like a 330 P4 ou a 250 GTO with a heap of history but eventually I found a AF Corse driven by Rui Águas at the 2012 Le Mans 24h and couldn't resist to it. Mine is "just" an Elite (honestly, I'm not sure if there's that much added detail that justifies the price step-up of the Super Elite) but I couldn't have it any other way than with that livery. Your looks cool and the photos are awesome (as usual) but I always think a plain-body competition model is just an unemployed racing car...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yes, and I get that and I'm ok with that too, especially when they actualy "existed" like that (for instance, one of my favourite racing cars in my collection is the Auto Union Typ C Stromlinie, which is totally plain body... as it was when it broke the land speed record). What get's me the most is just pure race cars with the liveries stripped out, which kind of evades its purpose.

But oppinions are like arses: each has his own!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sorry Dirk for not showing up around here as often as I'd like (and as I should!) but let me just comment on 2 or 3 posts of yours: although there last 2 pieces aren't my cup of tea, I have to admit I simply loved the turbine Lotus. The world lost great inventive minds and Collin Chapman was certainly one of them. Who else would think strapping a turbine to a slim F1 chassis with AWD was a great idea?? TSM sure did great justice to that impressive albeit ephemeral race car, love the details on the engine, suspensions and interior! The paintjob is also quite eye-catching! The Mercedes Grand Prix is also quite a beautiful piece, particularly those wire wheels, CMC sure as hell knows how to make them right, as the interior with those delicious leather straps on the handle and the exquisite detail of the ignition advance and fuel mixture, one almost feels tempted to go there and adjust them (they're not adjustable, are they?). Last but not least, the Mercedes triumvirate is also very enjoyable, specially with the museum background, one has to look twice in order to tell it's models and not the real cars!

It's always a pleasure to drop by just for your photos.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts