DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first sealed model. I know, I know, sealed models are the darkside. But when I saw this beauty at the local hobby shop today, I just couldn't pass it up. It was $70 CAD, so not exactly cheap (I was hoping it would be $60cad), and while there's no opening parts, the outside just looked phenomenal. There was also a Toyota GT-One (though it was the one with ZENT, not the ESSO Ultron I'd of wanted) and that was $90cad, and I passed that for this Bentley Speed 8. I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

Group photo to finish off

I plan to someday add an Audi R8 #1 (also driven by Tom Kristensen) and maybe someday the Toyota GT-One with ESSO Ultron.

It's really a shame this model doesn't open. If it did, it would be the almost ultimate model in my opinion. I also hope that this if my first and last sealed model purchase. I really want the Corvette C6R 2005 LM Winner as well, but it's sealed, and unlike the Speed 8, it's not a LM-GTP/LMP winner, it's only a GT1. I guess I'll have to decide whether or not to get that one if I ever see it with my own eyes at a local shop.

G

·
I believe you would be quite please with the GT-One. It is ,no doubt, one of AUTOart's finest older releases.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I believe you would be quite please with the GT-One. It is ,no doubt, one of AUTOart's finest older releases.
True, but I buy a lot of my models for their significance as well. For example, I got the #53 Vette C5R cause it had a canadian driver and I had looked into him, and I wanted a piece of memorabilia that he drove and it just so happened it was a really nice Le Mans model.

This Speed 8, whilst sealed, signifies the return and victory of Bentley at Le Mans in a long time, and also it was driven by Tom Kristensen, and I wanted something other than the R8 with him, and it's also the last racer to be part of LM-GTP class (ex-Group C, ex-LM-GT1). I believe as it stands now, the current top racers (R8, Pescarolo, and whoever else) are part of LMP/900 since they're all open top prototypes.

The GT-One that was in stock didn't mean much to me. It's probably a great model, but it was the #28. I would want the #3 if I was gonna get a GT-One, since it got 2nd place at Le Mans (I think, not sure), and the 2 major big things, I like the livery with ESSO Ultron and the ESSO symbols on it a LOT more than the other GT-One's, and also one of the pilots on it was Ukyo Katayama, ex-F1 driver whom I remember watching in earlier F1 years, and it was a all japanese lineup too.

As you can see, the history and personal significance of the actual car makes a big difference to me as to whether I want to get a model or not. Had it been the #3 GT-One with Ukyo Katayama, I wouldn't have picked the Speed 8 over it.

G

·
You've misunderstood my reply. I was speaking of the GT-One you seek. I'm simply saying you would be quite please with it since you plan on picking it up someday.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
You've misunderstood my reply. I was speaking of the GT-One you seek. I'm simply saying you would be quite please with it since you plan on picking it up someday.
Sorry, I thought you meant I should of gotten the GT-One instead of this Bentley. My apologies for the misunderstanding. :eek:k

I also like the C6-Rs, but I don't want to make a habit of getting sealed models. Like you, the Bentley was a necessary exception because of it's significance.
I find this a problem as well. I don't want to make a habit of getting sealed models, but man that C6-R, I know I'm strongly against the sealed models, but I don't know if I'll be able to pass the C6-R #64 when I see it, especially since the 2005 Le Mans is one of the very few Le Mans races I've actually watched, and I knew when I got the 2003 C5-R #53 that I'd like to add a C6-R just like I'd seen on TV someday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.