DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
I use black washing on budget models to bring out the details that manufacturers may put there, but for many reasons, are not defined. The "shadow effect" that black washing gives a model brings out that detail.

BTW, this is the Ertl American Graffiti Corvette.

First off, I want to say that there are several ways that you can do this as some paint manufacturers sell a black wash mix or you can use a charcoal marker to get same basic results, but this is how I do it.

I start by mixing 1/4 of flat black with 3/4 thinner. Also a 1/3 and 2/3 will work. I used to mix only the amount I would use with eye droppers, but not I have a separate paint jar where I keep a mix.
I also use the cheap throw-away 10/$1.00 brushes and plenty of cotton swabs.

I use dab the paint on the part and let it dry a bit before removing the excess paint. The process may have to be done a few times to get the desired "shadow" specially on over-chromed grills.

Here is some of the Testors stuff I use:

Here is how the stock engine looks like and after some paint was put on and removed:

Now some pics of before and after:

Before:

After:

Before:

After: (needs another coat or two)

Before:

After:

The whole car before:

After:

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is an Ertl '69 Mach 1 wheel:

A quick job on a Maisto $2 bike. Notice the motor and brake rotors:
Before:

After:

G

·
hi acisne nice work on the models it does pay to dothat i do it to acouple of my models and it makes them look much better.

cheers barry.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Great tutorial Al - thanks for taking the time to do it!

G

·
thanks for the tuorial mate, i never knew what black washing was and never knew how to do it, now i know i might give it a shot on a couple of my models i have here :)

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! :cheers I'm gladd you liked it. And Jon, your work has inspired me!

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Great write-up, Al!

You made that FJ (and the others too, of course) look great!!!

Sean

G

·
Thnaks for the info. Ive been needing to do that to quite a few cars. One question: how do you get the paint off the high areas?

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Sorry, I never saw your question. :dizzy I get a clean Q-tip and wipe the paint off the high areas.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys! :cheers

Someone asked me if the back-wash might affect the model down the road. I have been doing this for 15+ years on diecast and 25+ years on plastic, and the material underneath has not been effected.

G

·
I'm reviving this thread as a number of newer members have been inquiring about black washing.
Makes a world of difference to your cars.
Very simple if you follow Als pictorial and tutorial.
:cheers
:zoom

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Glad that this thread got revived, I am going to have to give this a whirl on some of my models, looks as though it makes a world of difference, thanks for the write up Acisne :cheers

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Great tutorial. Now, do we have one on getting rid of the dark spots on headlights and taillights caused by the plastic pins holding them on. Your Vette could use a treatment on the headlights

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.