DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you actually get to see the models in hand before you fork out the money? Majority of my purchases are done online, so I have only inspected maybe few models before I bought them. Maybe... 5%?

Internet and sites like this makes collecting more accessable, but at the same time, I can't believe how much money I've spent on products I actually haven't held in my hands.

In an ideal world, we can all look at them before we buy, but I'm sure the percentage is low in reality.

How about you guys?

G

·
I think I do all of my shopping online with the exception of the occasional Maisto or Hot Wheels that I am able to find in a bog box store.

Not too many local hobby stores in my area and the one right up the street from me should be closed down as their prices are outrageous. They must think they are selling 1:1 cars. Ertls are listed for $49.99, the same ones that can be found on eBay for a third of that cost.

Its great to get a picture and some thoughts on a model here as it often helps in making a blind purchase as you mention.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I buy from a lot of places like Diecastfast.com, etc. I have also had the local BMW dealer order one for me. It is nice inspecting the model first, but there just are not enough diecast sellers locally. I always make sure that a retailer offers a good return policy.

G

·
I have 45 or so models and I have not inspected any of them "live". Like others, I buy my models from online retailers or eBay. The one local place doesn't seem to have much and what they have is higher priced than, say, Scale18.

:cheers

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
My model count is in the hundreds and out of those, I would say maybe 35 of them have been bought in person and most of them have been Maisto with a few other budget brands mixed in.

The only way I can find out about a model is hearing from all of you here.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I've bought everyone of my models online so far with only the occasional hiccup in QC. The only shop in my city that sells high-end is 40 minutes away and doesn't really have the cars I like at decent prices. A torch red AUTOart Z06 that I got for $15 for $65? No thanks.

G

·
I'm lucky. Most if not all new releases I buy from my local model shop (well 30 miles away but still local :giggle). Lucky because the guy who owns the shop is very knowledgeable about all things diecast. Good for a chat and I can pre-order just about anything (which comes in handy as I don't have to run around looking for new stuff).

Older stuff I usually hit eBay or talk to a local collector. Picked up a few gems from people in Melbourne :happy

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I just looked at my collection and of the approx. 60 models I've bought in the last 2 yrs., I've only seen 3 prior to purchase ( that's even a suprise to me ). Although I live on the northern fringe of the Chicago metro area, there are very few hobby shops which carry diecasts (or either I can't find them) and those that do focus on NASCAR, muscle cars or '50's nostalgia, none of which interests me. :pullhair

Therefore with no other option I must buy sight-unseen over the internet. And it is for this reason that I so much appreciate the info and pics that are offered here. Although I've only been here for about 4 months, I know vastley more about the reputations and quality of the manufactureres and sellers than I did before. Also, thanks to everyone for the reviews! I always check them before ordering. :cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
On the 43 items I bought since the beginning I only got 3 in store and one ebay that i could check prior to buying it (and only in this cas because the guy lived in fact 10kms from me. every other cars where blind buys...

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
When I started collecting I had the choice of 2 hobby shops and my dealer...both hobbyshops closed and there is still one a little further away, but that one is too expensive....so the last year, allmost all my cars are bought on the net or at my dealer...never had any problems with that... :cheers

G

·
95 percent of my purchases have been bought blindly. I've always assumed and hope that the models will look as nice as the pics shown. So far I've been lucky, only the 190E Evo II turned out worse than the advertised photos.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts