DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
BMW E46 M3 GTR
(my first ever review... so bear wif me :p )
PICS FROM http://fanmod.com & new ones by me
(i hope 512 won't mind me borrowing 3 pics... if u mind, i'll remove it ASAP)

The car I'm going to review is the BMW E46 M3 GTR street version made by minichamps. I got it for a nice price of SGD$96+++ and overall. It's one of the best cars in my collection. It's so good, I;ve decided to write my first ever review based on it. Sorry for the lack of photos. Cos my camera died… I'll update this with my pics when I get the camera back up and running again.

PAINT

The car I have is in silver and overall the paint is rather good. Very nice and evenly applied. But I'll havto note that there are very very slight uneven parts in maybe 0.1% of the paint.

When I first bought the car, I found out there were bubbles in the paint on my engine hood and I promptly brought it back to the store for an exchange. I looked thru a few boxes of the car and found out that most cars had a proper paintjob, so maybe the one I bought was a one-off.

But this is not to say that the paint is flawless. No… It's not the smoothest either. So I suspect the quality control of minichamps needs improvement. But overall, the silver is on the car has a nice thickness to it.

Not the best, but not so bad either… above average….
6/8

EXTERIOR

Really beautiful. The scale of the car should be correct. But I have never really seen a 1:1 nor do I have the time to measure it up… so I'll trust minichamps here…
The stance of the car is perfect for the model. It sits really low looks fantastic.

Let's start looking at the car from the front going towards the rear.
In the front, there;s a proper tow-hook, very well done, the hood pins on the engine cover is also replicated very very well.. not too fat either, very nice and small and detailed. The lights look really good. Nice turn signals as well… There is a mesh underneath and that is very well replicated as well. The little BMW badge is very well made and is not a crappy sticker…
Those vents on the engine hood are also very well made.

Working our way back, we can see the windshield is also very well made wif good attention to detail. Everything here says quality. Wing mirrors are well replicated M3 style. Door handles are proper and good to use when trying to open the door. Just use a little nail into the gap in between the door and the handle and open the (very smooth) door. Not much effort is needed to get it open and yet the panel gap is rather tight. You can even notice little pin thingys for the rear 3rd quarter windows. There are also nice separate pieces for the window openings… no idea what it is for in real life though…. How's that for detail?

We can see the side pipes running along the bottom right side. Ooops! Problem there… the pipes are not hollow… but rather just painted black with a slight indentation…. minus points there…

As we go towards the rear, you can see a nice little antennae sticking out…its rather nice and soft and... not brittle at all… the rear windscreen has 2 vertical bars running down. There are fuellers on the right side of the car in black and on the other side is a covering in silver with pins running along the outer edges.

The rear Monster spoiler is a very outstanding feature of this car. It is well made, as well as a normal black spoiler can be anyway. So nothing really outstanding here cept. It's monster size… It's rather well fixed into the car though, so some points there. The rear boot has very well made locking pins (or straps), the BMW badge is again very well replicated. There is also a little tow-hook at the back.

My main problem here would be the use of stickers along the back of those huge wheel arches. Why stickers? But then again, the stickers used here seem to be of a better quality then those of the hotwheels cars…

Overall feel of the exterior? Quality and attention to detail on most parts. Nothing major to complain about. (those stickers? Small issue in the overall scope of things, those pipes? Erm… could have done better there I guess)

I'll give this a 7, a rather good score, cos even though it has it's shortcomings, I feel that on most parts… it wow-ed me… wow-ed me enough to deserve a 7

7/8

INTERIOR

This is by far probably the best thing about this car…
How do I start? The interior is SUPER!!! Look at the rollcage, so well made, look at the driver's seat, feel the driver's seat. Nice texture… almost rubbery, the hoses inside are all made of runner. The dials and switches are all present, even the covering for the side pipes are chrome. Rather high quality chrome there too…. I got my fingerprint on it… gotta clean it off. The interior is really a "you'll havto see it to belive it" case. Little instructions are present… the LCD screen on the dash looks almost real. Seatbelts are of a nice fabric-ish texture. Everytying Everything here is FANTASTIC!!! No complaints here….

looks at the fuel cell! (I think) wow…carbon fibre…wow! Wow Wow Wow all over…..
Deserves the very high score….

8/8 (WOW again!)

WHEELS & BRAKES

The rims on the silver are rather shiny , but still they are well made and they don't look like they will lose their luster anytime soon. I would have preferred the normal matt silver rims wif the Michelin logos on the tires, those which appear on the dealer cars.

The locking nut on the wheel is done nicely too

The brakes are probably made of ceramic on the 1:1 cos it's a racecar, and that is reflected in the 1:18… its not the shiny silver metallic color on most cars… its of a rather dark color. Disc rotate wif the wheels and the calipers look good.

So no cpmplaints here again…. Awesome cept for a bit O' the bling bling look on the rims… but that's just a personal opinion… :p

Giving it a 5 cos everything's well done here BUT I would have liked to see the Michelin brand imprinted on the tyre… why is it only the dealer cars have that?

5/6

ENGINE & UNDERCARRIAGE DETAIL

Let's start with the engine detail. Fantastic. But not much to see under the hood cos well..most of it is covered up but a CF engine cover. What can be seen though is very well made and very well replicated. No complaints here.

I shall add in the boot detail here as well, becos it is a racing car , so the boot actually contains some of the piping for the fuel. Opening up the boot and you will see a very very good attention to detail. The piping is very well done and u will notice that the boot is actually lined wif some nice velvety texture. It feels really good. Attention to detail is present in the little instructions and text stuff present inside the boot. Very very good.

The undercarriage is again, FANTASTIC, this is probably the main thing contributing to the heavy weight of the model. The undercarriage is made of metal! Really nice metallic color too. Much nicer compared to the boring black undercarriages of every other car out there. A nice classy touch on minichamps side…. I enjoy looking at the bottom of the car as much as I enjoy looking at every other part of the car. I wish my Lambo GTR was this heavy…. That AUTOart Lambo GTR is just too light….

I'll give this a 7, why not a perfect 8? Well…. Maybe I'm just too picky, but I kinda wished the engine cover could be opened up to reveal more of the engine… its just really kinda boring being covered up and all… But that's just me….. other then that , no complaints…

7/8

COMPETITION
It's the only E46 M3 GTR out there… no competition..
UT made the E36… so this goes well side by side (although this kinda blows the doors off the UT)

6/6

DESIRABILITY
Desirable? Well… here's a little story of how I got to aquire this car.
I was not in the market for this car at all, rather. But after seeing it on some user's postings. I began to pay more attention to it.. especially after seeing shots of the very well made interior. I dropped by a local store the other day and the person selling the cars was telling me this car was going really fast…. I wasn;'t really convinced yet and I left… that night, I did some searching on the car and found that it represented really really good value…. I called the store the next day to reserve one car and picked it up a week after.

I was afraid I won't be able to get one if it sells out. Cos most diecast here don't come in again after they sell out….

On the way home after picking it up , I had mixed feelings about the car… is it gonna be as good as I hoped…. Did I make a mistake? But after I got it out of the box when I reached home…. All those mixed feelings vanished… this car is THAT GOOD! I'm wasn't a fan in the beginning and now, this car is the 2nd Best car I have in my small by ever growing collection.
It really looks and feels great… (1st car? The CSL Calder Art Car… nothing beat's that)

I say, pick it up when u have the chance, u will NOT regret it… not EVER…. I iwsh more cars were made like this….

For what I paid SGD$96+++ You can't afford to miss this car…

6/6 (hmm…no no..make that 8/6)

OVERALL

Overall? I'll talk about the whole feel of the car. The feeling you get just by holding it is one of a very well made solid diecast car. Some cars feel flimsy when u hold em but this one is rock Solid.. perhaps it is the weight. It feels very well made. Looking at the car, it is not the most pretty car out there, but it looks rather serious and quite the brute…

This car looks the business. Do yourself a favour and pick one up before they are all gone…
Very solid… very well made interior…. One of the best cars out there…. I wish more cars were made like this… (Worth more then what I paid for…..)

Total Score - 45/50
:cheers :cheers :cheers

hope that was a good enough 1st review from me....

review added to the DX Model Review Database on 04-JUN-2004

*EDIT* new photos

G

·
Thanks for the great review MB, it's an awesome model and I agree about the stickers. Over all the detail is great. :nicejob :cheers

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Great review MB :nicejob :nicejob
You guys are going to end up making me buy this car :lol

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
That was a super review MB! I really enjoyed reading all your thoughts about the model. I myself was really impressed by the shiney door insert by the foot of the door. It's got a colourful M3 imprinted on it. Very impressive little detail in my mind!

I'd love to find an Estoril blue one for my collection one day as I prefer that ever so slightly over the silver model. Now to find one for a good price!!

I look forward to any reviews you do in the future! :cheers :cheers (Maybe one of your FAVOURITE Bimmer
)

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Thanks for the review MB! :nicejob
Reading this I really get confused if I should get this on or the race version.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
LUW said:
Thanks for the review MB! :nicejob
Reading this I really get confused if I should get this on or the race version.
.....get both......

:tempted :tempted :tempted

G

·
StygianMax said:
That was a super review MB! I really enjoyed reading all your thoughts about the model. I myself was really impressed by the shiney door insert by the foot of the door. It's got a colourful M3 imprinted on it. Very impressive little detail in my mind!

I'd love to find an Estoril blue one for my collection one day as I prefer that ever so slightly over the silver model. Now to find one for a good price!!

I look forward to any reviews you do in the future! :cheers :cheers (Maybe one of your FAVOURITE Bimmer
)
I've got one, it's a really beautifull model with a stunning color.

(You can buy it for 99trillion billion dollars! j/k) :tempted

In other words I wouldn't ever sell it 'cause I really love it and it's the best model I have!

@ Mockingbird: Great review, very detailed and an entertaining read! :nicejob

G

·
Awesome review, but unlike everyone else here, my goal is to acquire all race versions and the black, silver and estoril blue street cars. God forbid they continue and make all the colors. :nutkick

G

·
mwrmt said:
Awesome review, but unlike everyone else here, my goal is to acquire all race versions and the black, silver and estoril blue street cars. God forbid they continue and make all the colors. :nutkick
WTG Mike, that's what I like to hear... :lol :lol :lol I think if someone was to focus their collection on a specific model, this one would be a great candidate. I don't think I'll get them all, just a few. :cheers

1 - 20 of 25 Posts