DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always fancy a E60 M5 but the Kyosho version always go for couple hundreds online and I couldn't stand the underscaled Maisto version. Over the years my E60 fleet grew slowly until I won this blue beauty on Sunday. Didn't expect to win at first but thought i would just try my luck but here it is.

Untitled by Jazzy 426, on Flickr

Two blue devils.. with my all time favourite E34...

·
Administrator
34,875 Posts
Very nice I do love an M5!! The E39 is one of my favourites though. I just love it!! Do you have one ?

I had a few Kyosho E60 M5's, but sold them ages ago. I wish I hadn't now. I had the OttO Mobile M5 wagon in Grey, but I didn't like it at all (the fit of the rear door windows & White paint on the tops of the headlights annoyed me so much) I would be happy of OttO would made a regular E60 M5. If they made it look good!

Reactions: jazzy426

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Great line up, Jazzy. Have you painted the slats within the kidneys black on some of your other 5s? It could just be the light.

I have four KY M5s, and I painted the slats black on them. Think it’s a nice finishing touch :)

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Craig and yes I got the silver E39 M5 from Ottomobile after years of waiting. I think I’ve finally got all the M5 now up to F10 M5. Guess this took me almost 8 years to get them all.

I almost bid on broken Kyosho E60 M5 in the same shade of blue last year but good thing I didn’t. The broken model has too many missing parts for me to source anyway.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great line up, Jazzy. Have you painted the slats within the kidneys black on some of your other 5s? It could just be the light.

I have four KY M5s, and I painted the slats black on them. Think it’s a nice finishing touch :)
Cheers Scuddy. No actually I didn’t touch up the grill at all but now you mentioned it maybe I should inspect them closer as two of the E60s were bought used and previous owner could have done so.

I bought a Kyosho E65 facelift years ago and the previous owner had the grill painted black but the paint were peeling badly. Unfortunately I was able to remove them completely without harming the chrome surface underneath. By the way in case you didn’t notice the silver pre facelifted E60 appears to have the M styled side mirrors. I only noticed them after I bought it unboxed I suspect the previous owner replaced them with a pair from M3 or M5 donor.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Good looker you have there @jazzy426!! Kyosho looks to have done a nice job on it. Is it or just me or does the body ride high? In some pics it looks fine, but in others it looks like a 4x4. Perhaps that's how they look or maybe the angle taken?

·
Registered
174 Posts

Real E60 M5s have chrome slats. This is M5 signature feature that started with E39, and continued to E60.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nice one Jazzy, and the E60 is Chris Bangle's best design in my opinion, these cars still look good today (although so does the E39).
E60 was designed by Davide Arcagneli. He was terminally ill and died shortly after completing the design for E60. In his memory, BMW released E60 without any changes, and up to this day this is the only car that was released completely as envisioned by its original designer. Chris Bangle was BMW head of design at the time, but he has nothing to do with E60.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Good looker you have there @jazzy426!! Kyosho looks to have done a nice job on it. Is it or just me or does the body ride high? In some pics it looks fine, but in others it looks like a 4x4. Perhaps that's how they look or maybe the angle taken?
Kyosho E60 M5 does appear to ride high, but this is accurate for the real car as well. Stock E60 M5 sits rather high from the factory.

·
Registered
337 Posts
E60 was designed by Davide Arcagneli. He was terminally ill and died shortly after completing the design for E60. In his memory, BMW released E60 without any changes, and up to this day this is the only car that was released completely as envisioned by its original designer. Chris Bangle was BMW head of design at the time, but he has nothing to do with E60.
Ah cool, thanks for that. Purity of the original concept always wins!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m going to have to look at the pics again to check out those mirrors :) that’s quite a cool subtle mod :)
Not sure if that was the original intention or the previous owner needed replacements for missing side mirrors and I didnt even notice it until I compared that with my other E60s and online stock photos. Pretty sure Kyosho did not release a version like that.

Nice one Jazzy, and the E60 is Chris Bangle's best design in my opinion, these cars still look good today (although so does the E39).
Haha funny you mentioned that. I used to dislike the E60 design and to me personally the worst offender was the original E65 but over the years these Bangle BMWs grew on me and I actually quite like them now. No doubt i would learn to love the new big nose BMWs one day too. 😁

Cheers BK1. Kyosho did a pretty good job on the mid 2000s to early 2010s BMWs me think. Some of their earlier effort like the E46 or X5 isn't as well refined but their later BMW models are great! I think it is likely due to the camera angle that makes the car looks to be riding high. No complain from me regarding the ride height.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info i didn't know that. Always thought the E60 and E65 were designed by Bangle. And I think he had input in the E36/7 Z3 and E46 as well?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks for the info i didn't know that. Always thought the E60 and E65 were designed by Bangle. And I think he had input in the E36/7 Z3 and E46 as well?
Well, as a head of design, he was considered "the designer" but in reality, that is not the case. E65 was actually designed by Adrian van Hooydonk. Lead designers for the E36 were Pinky Lai and Boyke Boyer, and E46 was designed by Erik Goplen. Every time when somebody blames Chris for BMW designs, or mentions Bangle's butt - makes me laugh.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here is a list of lead designers on several key BMW models of the "Bangle Era":

Joji Nagashima: E90-3 3 series, some input on E36 3 series, Z3 roadster, E39 5 series
Adrian van Hooydonk: E63/4 6 series, E65/6 7 series, Z9 concepts (BMW DesignWorks USA)
Geoff Velasco: E83 X3 (BMW DesignWorks USA)
Anders Warming: E85 Z4 Roadster (BMW DesignWorks USA)
Chris Chapman: E87 1 series; E53 X5 (BMW DesignWorks USA)
Erik Goplen: E46 3 series (BMW DesignWorks USA)
Davide Arcangeli: E60 5 series
Boyke Boyer: E38 7 series
Anders Warming: Z4 Coupe (Designworks)
Henrik Fisker: Z8

As you can see, Chris was not a lead designed on ANY of these cars, but he certainly oversaw the design and gave direction.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I remember when my local diecast shop called me, I dropped everything at work and rushed to store to collect it. Earlier I had passed on a basement bargain DE blue 🤦🏽‍♂️ and a white one as well for the lack of funds.
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Car

1 - 20 of 24 Posts