DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hi Everyone

So yesterday my BMW M4 model arrived and I was really looking forward to snapping up some pics and posting it here on the forum.

This model has been widely criticized by most of the collectors in the diecast community. When I first saw pics of the model from the toy show in January, I too was very disappointed with the model. It looked terrible. After receiving mine and seeing it in the flesh, I must say that it is nowhere as bad as I thought it would be. It does have a few issues, but you be the judge of that.

I'm not the type of collector that moans/complains about small details, as long as the model looks like the real car, I'm happy. BTW this is my first sort of review that I've done for a model, so please bear with me if I missed something.

Please share all your views and opinions.

Enjoy!

It doesn't look so bad?

The only complaint I have with the front is the solid/non-perforated grilles at the bottom, other than that, I think it looks good.

Now to the most talked about issue with the model, the WHEELS! I have no idea why Paragon decided to go with the 18inch wheels. For an //M model car, I think BMW should have only given the option of either a 19 or 20inch rim.

When you look at a picture of the 1:1 with the 18inch wheels (see below), I don't think it looks far off from the wheels on the model. My only issue would be the profile of the tyre used by Paragon. I feel that it should have been a lower profile tyre.

The back of the car looks to be fairly accurate as compared to the real car. This is definitely my favourite part of the model. Paragon did a good job with the tail pieces, a much better job than Kyosho did with the E92 M3.

And now for the opening bits, something you will never get on the GT Spirit

The interior is very nicely detailed. I would say that it is on par with the Kyosho BMW's.

The engine detail is quite good too.

Here are some pics of the BMW M4 with it's older siblings...

All in all, I think that this is a pretty decent effort by Paragon. I got mine from Modelissimo for 60 Euros plus shipping and customs, which I think was a good deal. I don't regret buying the model. I will add the Yas Marina blue version as well when it's released.

If you're on the fence about getting the model, I'd say go for it. Although the GT Spirit model seems to look better than this one, no other company is going to make an M4 with opening parts. I prefer diecast to resin anyday.

What do you think?

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Totally agree with you - love the diecast vs resin and I think I will have to add this one and make up any other colors that aren't going to be released. Can't complain about anything Paragon does, price wise it's entirely affordable and the quality what you'd get in norev. So a great addition and congrats!!! Thanks for sharing the sweet review!!

·
Super Moderator
4,489 Posts
"The back of the car looks to be fairly accurate as compared to the real car. This is definitely my favourite part of the model. Paragon did a good job with the tail pieces, a much better job than Kyosho did with the E92 M3."

If there is no paint rash on it, then there is no way it's beter than Kyosho's M3 LOL!

·
Super Moderator
12,780 Posts
Great Review!
The only thing wrong with the model is the "SHAPE" of the tires..
the wheels are correct size and the tires are the right height, but they are too square..
I Switched my tires out, but I will do it again if I can find better looking tires overall! I really am happy with my M4 as well, I just have to sort the wheels and I will be happier!
Congrats on adding an M4!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Great Review!
The only thing wrong with the model is the "SHAPE" of the tires..
the wheels are correct size and the tires are the right height, but they are too square..
I Switched my tires out, but I will do it again if I can find better looking tires overall! I really am happy with my M4 as well, I just have to sort the wheels and I will be happier!
Congrats on adding an M4!

Thanks mate! After seeing your pics of the model in the "what did you buy today", I decided to pull the trigger and get one. I did have a look at the tyres again now, and you are right, it's the shape that's wrong. I will switch the tires if I get a set.

I would also like to paint the wheels if/when I figure out how to remove them. Something like this would look nice

·
Premium Member
13,288 Posts
Great color and overall job from Paragon. I think they do a wonderful job and unlike so many other companies, they are open. That is a massive win in my book. I know the wheels may get a lot of heat, but on this model I think it looks just about right. Are there better options, sure. But, this looks great as is. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
23,366 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to do this photo-review Sash!
It's certainly an impressive looking model - in a ROCKIN' colour!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Thanks for sharing, it actually looks pretty decent. I quite like this colour tbh, will certainly stand out on the shelf.

You mentioned you purchased it from Modelissimo - I don't see it on their site. Has it totally sold out? I don't think I ever saw it on CK models. I hope I haven't missed the boat in buying this.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the positive feedback and comments guys! Much appreciated
Thanks for sharing, it actually looks pretty decent. I quite like this colour tbh, will certainly stand out on the shelf.

You mentioned you purchased it from Modelissimo - I don't see it on their site. Has it totally sold out? I don't think I ever saw it on CK models. I hope I haven't missed the boat in buying this.
Modelissimo did have them for sale on their website and on ebay. They were sold out within a few hours tho.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Blimey, I must have missed that! How can supply by so limited?

I'll endeavour to give my local BMW dealer a call some time this week. Alternatively I'll wait for the new colours to be released.

·
Registered
131 Posts
That model car looks very nice. We all know, that's Paragon, not AutoArt or Kyosho brand with very high quaility finish. I'm exact, so the details are very important for me. Because of that I didn't want to buy M4 F82 miniature. Unfortunately, it has no 19-inch wheels and LED headlights. After all, I think it's very nice car, but not for people which expect high quaility details.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Looking more and more pictures of this model, Paragon seems to have done a pretty decent job on this model. Certainly for the price, it isn't too bad.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That model car looks very nice. We all know, that's Paragon, not AutoArt or Kyosho brand with very high quaility finish. I'm exact, so the details are very important for me. Because of that I didn't want to buy M4 F82 miniature. Unfortunately, it has no 19-inch wheels and LED headlights. After all, I think it's very nice car, but not for people which expect high quaility details.
I think the Paragon matches the Kyosho is some aspects. It's just the wheels that let it down a bit. Paragon will be the only M4 model available to have opening parts.

·
Super Moderator
4,489 Posts
I have to say it looks fairly good in person. Though it looks more like lime green? Also, I have tried about 10 different sets of wheels for a swap, and they all look great. I don't know how paragon managed to find wheels that looked ugly on this model. BTW black wheels look awesome on it!

·
Super Moderator
12,780 Posts
Littlerockshid, how did you remove your M4 wheels without breaking them to try out the other 10 wheel swaps?
I would appreciate it if you could shed a bit of light onto this subject
I'm guessing that the wheels are glued to the brake discs like my M6? so, unless CA glue remover isn't the answer, I don't know what is?

With that above said, I did make some revisions to my M4. Basically, I took it apart to get the head lamp systems out(as they were the weakest visual link besides the tires). So, I went in added depth to the lights with darker colors and the trim inside of the lamp housing. Next, I lowered it at the rear to get a more level look. ..and since I was too chicken to remove my wheels
, I detailed painted the lug nuts and now I think that the model looks FANTASTIC!
I still might want to remove the wheels (if I find out how) and do something new or re-paint the wheels black or gun metal grey. Also, you remember that I changed the tires as well. Here's what it looks like now. I will be adding a post when I get more time with it's direct competitors.

And Basically, the car now sits at this height that I was testing in the pic...

·
Super Moderator
4,489 Posts
I don't think you can remove them without destroying them. The disk is glued with super duper uber ultra extra strength gorilla glue or something! I had no intention of reusing the original rim so I drilled the centers to remove the pin, and cut the rim away from the disc.

BTW your mods look great.... I lowered the rear of mine as well.

·
Registered
749 Posts
You can remove the wheels easily but can't separate the Disc from wheels . I destroyed the wheels of mine to save the brake callipers and disc . I don't care about these ugly wheels .

1 - 20 of 36 Posts