Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you keep your models in their boxes?
no812.50%
yes1625.00%
no but I keep the boxes4062.50%

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was wondering Do you keep your models in their boxes? as in most of the photos they aren't and as i'm getting new shelves I was thinking about this as in their boxes they take up more space

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Hi VLB

I do not keep my models in boxes or glass display cases, I even take them of the plastic bases, because I am of the opinion that it is better to see and handle the cars than to just see the (sometimes) garish boxes

I like to think that I am a collector not a speculator, resale values do not interest me.

Believe it or not I do enjoy dusting them, I have a couple of soft camera lens brushes that do a very good job

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I don't keep them in their boxes but I do keep the boxes separately. All my models are behind glass in a display cabinet!!! :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I keep mine in boxes so I would not anger the Great God of Diecast. Besides, I plan to selling them in a couple of years to get myself a 1:1 Ferrari...

:lol You know I'm BS-ing. :happy

I'm in the process of getting shelves right now. The only concern I have is how to set it up properly incase of earthquake. The thoughts of the shelves toppled over and everything smashed to hell is gut wrenching. :nutkick

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Getter 3 said:
I keep mine in boxes so I would not anger the Great God of Diecast. Besides, I plan to selling them in a couple of years to get myself a 1:1 Ferrari...

:lol You know I'm BS-ing. :happy

I'm in the process of getting shelves right now. The only concern I have is how to set it up properly incase of earthquake. The thoughts of the shelves toppled over and everything smashed to hell is gut wrenching. :nutkick
I'm still trying to figure out how to protect the models on the shelf above my computer desk and next to my bed in case of a earthquake since I only live about a mile away from the Hayward Fault (at least I am on solid ground) :scared

I tend to keep my boxes and use them for storage. I put most of my old Maistos and other cheap or broken models in my AutoArt boxes :danbanna
I also don't care about resale value. I love to handle my models. Especailly my Kyoshos and AutoArts. It is just too hard to resist :drool

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The models I don't have shelf space for (currently, all of them :crying ) are in their boxes. I did decided to toss out a ton of the Hot Wheels and other inexpensive brand boxes as the space they take up is just immense. I discovered this while packing for my recent move.

Other than the rare Ferrari M/C F1 cars, Exotos, and some UTs, I have disposed of most of the boxes. Once I build some shelves, the remaining Bburagos and HWs that are in boxes, the boxes will all be tossed.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I feel keeping them in the boxes takes all of the fun out of the hobby. They're meant to be seen and fully enjoyed. :mine

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
I keep my lower end stuff in the boxes (easier to pile them up and see them all that way)
The upper end stuff is out of their boxes and displayed in cases

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I only take the cars out of their boxes when I have a space in a dust proof shelf. That's about 6% at this time. :cheers

·
McLaren F1 guru
308 Posts
The only reason I even keep my boxes is because if I move I can repack the models and if I decide to sell they are more valuable. I always take my models out of the boxes, if you have enough space to set them out w/o box I can't see why you wouldn't.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts