DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the magazine. It has an article of the top 100 best Muscle, sport and race cars (in their opinion) and this is the breakdown:

Breakdown by scale:
4- 1/12
1- 1/16
70- 1/18 (no surprise there)
23- 1/24
3- 1/43
4- 1/64

Here is the breakdown by brand:
12-RC2/Ertl
1-Johnny Lightning (now part of RC2)
6- DM
8- FM
13- Maisto
8- Hot Wheels
9- GMP
7-AUTOart
2- HWY/61
3- Lane
2- Revell
13- Kyosho
1- BBR
1- IXO
1- Bburago
2- Tamiya
3- Minichamps
7- Action
1- Welly
1- C1
1- Ebbro
1- Performance Miniatures
1- Exoto
1- Milestones

I counted them in a hurry, so I may have goffed. :scared

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Al (sorry I originally missred the name of the topic starter) , does it name the actual models in the top 100 or just the diecast makers?

One would imagine that the BBR is the 1:18 Enzo, and I'm guessing that the Exoto is either the 917/30(?) or one of the Sauber C9's.

It'd be great to know though. Let us know if you can tell us more :cheers

Mark

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Some of the picks were kind of :confused
Its like they asked some people with small collections what was the best cars.

Most magazines (and this one in particular) always leave me wondering if these people have very much knowledge about what they are writing about or are just good with words?

Some of the Sporst car picks....

Revell AH Sprite
Kyo AH 3000 (nice choice)
Ertl 62 Vette
AUTOart BMW Z8
Maisto 65 Vette
Hot Wheels C6 Vette (100 best?)
Maisto Dodge Viper GT2 (They say its rare :giggle )
AUTOart Viper SRT 10 (so good they can't give them away on ebay)
Hot Wheels Ferrari GT 250 California
Kyo ferraris
Bburago 250 GTO (what?????)
AUTOart Jag E Type
Maisto Murci and Gallardo
Kyo Countach
Kyo Muira
Kyo Europa
Maisto Maserati Spyder
Kyo Miata (wtf)
Miasto 300SLR
Kyo RX7
AUTOart MGB GT
Kyo Morgan 4/4
Maisto Porsche 550
Hot Wheels 911 GT3
Maisto 997
Revell 914 (yuck)
Maisto Boxter s

There are a few others but you get the idea.
It seems as though they wanted to represent every manufacturer.
Some nice cars but not many that I would call "The Best"

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Oh, almost forgot, in the race car category the only Exoto was the 260 Cobra.
But the Action IROC Z in some sort of wierd paint finish did make it along with a few 1:64 Hot wheels.

AUTOart Porsche 917K was the only AUTOart but 6 Action products were picked :giggle
1 exoto and no CMC's :pullhair

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Hmmm....

That's very strange Jeff, thanks for the information.

Did they state what they're definition of 'best' was? I would suggest that here on DX we define 'best' as the most accurate and most detailed models, with price a secondary concern (we can all appreciate detail even if it costs too much).

Having said that we are all aware of value. Some of the budget end models that have been presented here over the last few months are simply amazing for their price, so perhaps they mean that?

I'd like to see what their classification of diecasts is. I don't necessarily agree with some of those models being in the 'Best 100" of diecasts. Their definition might be different to mine though.

Topic Split - Dx Members Top 5 Models

Mark

G

·
One thing I learned about this magazine from the very first issue is that it oozes of "company influence", meaning its no from a "collectors" point of view.

Now, thats not neccessarily a bad thing if its what they are into.

I have not read this issue as of yet, but thats the impression I draw from it based on previous issues and the fact that they are a MediaAge owned company.

But I need to read the article before I make a presumption on the article :wink

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have been collecting 14+ years and this list is wrong. In recent years the attention to detail has come along way even on budget models.

My top 5 would be:

1. BBR Ferrari Enzo (should be here this week)
2. Kyosho Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Competition #64 (one of my favorites)
3. Kyosho Lamborghini Jota SVR
4. Exoto motobox Porsche 959 (not the most detailed, but nicely done)
5. CMC Ferrari 250 SWB (probably will get this next year)

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In the article it talks about the attributes of the 1:1 and why they choose that particular diecast version. I did not list them all, and just had a breakdown of them as I feel that listing them would infringe on their intelectual rights. They have something to sell, and I feel that it is not my right to give it away. I don't have a problem with the way that Jeff listed them as it JEFF'S oppinion on what the magazine picked.

I think that their intention was to list the top 100 cars that they would put on THEIR shelf if they were to pic only 100. Remember guys, it is just THEIR OPINION, so I don't think that they are either wrong or right. There are several that I would not had picked (Action) but that is just me as I don't collect race cars.

Also, if you want to list your top five, why not start your own thread? :confused

I do agree with Darrick, that the magazine (as with ALL magazines) has somewhat of a "company influence" :giggle I did not see any Exoto adds, and only one Exoto made the cut. Like them or not, there are more than one Exoto that would be on MY top-100.

Like I said, it is just an oppinion. Their's is no more wrong than what ours would be.
They just have the advantage over us that they have a magazine to publish theirs. :giggle

·
Advanced Newtype
1,710 Posts
I'm not gonna say much since I haven't read the mag, but...

Kyosho Miata on that list?! OH MY GOD~! How is that possible?! HOOOOOOOOWWW?!??!?!!

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I still don't get why their choices would be rubish? :feedback
Are they not at all entitled to their opinion? I am sure that if you picked 100 diecast, that your 100 would not match a single other member's 100 choices.

To be honest, I would only have 55-60 of the 100 they picked, but the 40 that we do not agree on, would not let me think of them any less.

Let say that they picked 13 Minichamps and 3 Maistos, how would it sound if I said that it was rubish since I don't collect the subject matter that Minichamps produces?

:cheers :cheers

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
I sincerely don't get the "list making". It's too subjective a matter to be argued, so why bother? There is no right in wrong in what I or you prefer. When a mag does this sort of list I immediately think of two situations: they don't have much more material to talk about or they want to promote something with the list.

Make the list using some OBJECTIVE variable and we can have a discussion.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
I just got my first issue of this magazine (I'm another "one-year subscription" lucky winner) and I think that, it's not so bad but there is some flaws in it....I'll wait for future issues before giving an opinion on this magazine.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts