DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was looking at some treads relating to budget models.... and some budgets model of my own. We all have seen the great R8s, the Mercedes from Maisto and nowadays Solido are giving good value for money with their Rally cars too. There is a pretty good quantity... but, are there any older racing cars by budget manufacturers? Is it so rare to see a vintage race car made by a budget model? :confused

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Maisto have made a number of older race cars including the Porsche 550 spyder and the Mercedes-Benz 300SLRs from the 1955 Targa Florio and the Mile Miglia. The Porsche is a great model, one of the best they did (certainly by the standards of 1999 when it came out) but the Merc's are not the greatest models (major mounting peg issues withthe lights, and poorly executed "wire" wheels).

Bburrago of course used to do a lot of racing versions (usually just road versions with race stickers on them) including some pre-war Mercedes and Bugattis, Porsche 356s and other cars such as the Ferrari Testarossa and some Lancias. Not great models though! :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree Ronan, but I was more speaking of the latest releases rather than old ones. It seems budget manufacturers are prefering to do modern cars rather than classics. The 550 is really nice (I hav reviewed that one) and its absolutely great.

Anyone seeing this trend?

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I guess the budget models are being pitched at a younger collector market (who probably see things from the 1980s as "old"!!! :giggle Never mind the 1950s and 60s!) so anything seen as old doesn't sell?

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Most likely. There are exceptions, like Ricko's superb 300SL Panamericana and Sunstar's rally Fairlady or their new Stratos. A shame, since the market is ripe for good budget models. Solidos's rally line is the best example of this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah the panamericana, I forgot about that one, I tend to cancel Ricko from my mind :giggle

And... what is this stratos you named Lu? Never heard of it. I knew Kyosho did one but.... even sunstar? :confused

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
It's a new release from them. From what I saw they would make some three or four cars in different liveries. They're also releasing some Integrales in rally trim.

I'm telling you, AUTOart is in trouble. I don't care if AUTOart's rally Xsara has better wheels or paint job: it's SEALED, while Sunstar's is not. I have the means to buy both of them, but ask me which one will get into my collection? :wink

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So Luciano.... its a vintage racing car from a budget manufacturer? :wink

BTW, I wouldn't mind to have a nice Martini Delta :tongue

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
The Stratos and Integrale? I sure would say so. I don't know how they'll hold up against Kyosho's models (that would be tough, being Kyosho's models so good), but they look nice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow........ :tongue

That white one looks really cool!

Look Look! Opening doors!
Look Look! Real foglamps!

I hope they can make some nice looking Gt cars too! These look great! I was totally unaware.... is sunstar starting to better its model finally?

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I would say yes. Like Solido, it looks like they wised up and started putting more effort into their models. They're releasing some oddballs, that if come with a good level of detail, collectors like us that are used to a better detail level will be interested in.

I think Sunstar started this with their rally Nissan Fairlady, that is quite nice for a budget model. With the high prices and involution of AUTOart's models there will be a vacant space in the market. Solido and Sunstar may be aiming exactly for that space. And being honest, they will succeed if they keep up the good work.

I'm admired that Maisto didn't try this too. Maybe because the brand has no history with rally and because they're concentrating their efforts on the bling bling crowd?

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
When is somebody gonna do the Lancia Fulvia? I know AUTOart announced it a while back (rolls eyes) but they're such cool looking cars, and were world champion before the Stratos they definately deserve to be produced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts