DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Although I don't think many DXers here would find a review of the MR Veyron relevant as there are much cheaper alternatives, it might be of interest to see how a ~$200 model compares to another which can go for as high as $800. Of course, special colours (some are really special http://i846.photobuc...BUG01AB04-2.jpg) and low production numbers speak for the high prices that the MR commands, but when you get down to the actual model itself, you'll wonder whether it's worth up to 4 times more.

Presentation

Both models are presented quite stylishly in their interpretations of Bugatti Blue. On the outside, the AUTOart looks much better, but inside, the MR simply blows the AUTOart's styrofoam greyness out of the water. Not only is the MR box heavy, adding to the perception of quality, the clamshell box and leather base is a top way to present a model. This is a box you'd want to keep!

Both models come with certificates with their production number on it, however only the AUTOart etches it into the diecast itself. The MR's certificate is signed by Mr. MR himself, which counts for a lot in my opinion. He must have a really sore hand from signing the countless, mould-milking colour variations available of their models now.

Wheels

I'd like to start off with comparing the wheels. The main reason I held back buying an AUTOart was because of the small rims as compared to the MR. With MR Bleu Centenaires reaching $800 on eBay and the AUTOart falling to below $200, the choice was becoming obvious.

The 1:1 Bug has 20" rims at the front, and 21" at the rear.

The AUTOart has 27mm front rims and 30mm rear rims, and once converted into inches and scaled back up to 1:1, the fronts are 19.13" and rear 21.26".

The MR has 30mm front rims and 33mm rear rims, which are equivalent to 21.26" front and a massive 23.39" rear.

So there you have it, both models are inaccurate, but the AUTOart is actually the closest, with the rears spot on at 21". However, the oversized rims of the MR look much better to my eyes. Of course, not everyone shares my taste of big rims.

In terms of finish, the MR's rims are finished in gaudy chrome, but the 12 spoke rims are accuartely portrayed, with six spokes coming out from underneath the other six. As with most MR models, the rims sticks out too much from the tyre - annoying.

The Bleu Centenaire has different rims which are shiny, but not quite chrome. AUTOart have got both the design and the finish perfectly, as expected with their recent trend of excellent wheels (eg, LFA).

Both models have similar brakes, the MR has them set deep inside the wheels and the AUTOart has beautiful red calipers, as per the 1:1.

Body

Admittedly the different paint finishes make it quite hard to compare the two models clearly, particularly the chrome body on the MR and the shiny grilles on the AUTOart throw things out a bit to my eyes.

At first, the AUTOart seems to be smaller than the MR, and getting the ruler out and measuring them shows that is indeed the case - but not by much. Both models are just about equally as wide, but the MR is noticably taller than the AUTOart and the top-down shot shows that the AUTOart is much shorter than the MR.

Starting from the front of the models, it is quite hard to compare the front ends due to the different grille finishes making them look completely different to each other, but the both seem accurate to the 1:1 - nothing to report there. Curiously, however, they seem to have very similar "shutlines", odd considering the MR doesn't open at all.

The second thing you'll notice are the differences in headlights. The MR uses three projectors, a full line of LEDs at the bottom and rather dodgily attached headlight washers. The AUTOart easily has more accurate headlights.

The front badge is another main point of difference, once again the MR is dodgy - the sticker of a badge isn't even stuck in the middle of the grille!

Moving further back along the model you may notice that the two place their wing mirrors in different positions, here the MR places it correctly, a little back from the front door shutline. Both models have the side intakes correctly shaped and grilled.

Looking at the back of the models will show that they are quite similar to each other, however a closer inspection will reveal some differences.

You'll notice the badge peeling off on both cars, convex on the MR and concave on the AUTOart, a poor effort from both. The AUTOart shows some good depth in the tail lights, but the MR more accurately separates the brake from indicators with a silver ring. The diffuser is another point of difference, both are made of carbonfibre, but the AUTOart seems much more finer with its textured plastic, but you have to commend the MR on the superb application of decals around the complex shape of the diffuser. The AUTOart has a better exhaust and finer (and real) grille around the pipe exit.

The Bug's massive exposed 8.0L W16 is much better conveyed by MR, showing some real depth - especially the finer mesh and real badging compared to the AUTOart's heavy mesh and printed "EB" and "16.4". They are both correctly coloured here, the MR black and silver over a silver base at the bottom, the AUTOart blue and black over a black base. The AUTOart also has a removable rear cover to reveal more engine details.

Interior

Quite frankly there is no comparison here, the AUTOart wins hands down. The MR just looks like a plastic toy - a way too red interior, disgusting chrome console and an overall lack of textures. It might not look like it, but the MR does have very fine carpets, but nothing compared to the fully carpeted AUTOart, which not only covers the footwells, but the rear firewall as well.

So there you have it - both models look very similar to each other, however the AUTOart wins out on the majority of areas compared to the MR. The bonus is that the AUTOart is fully functional with opening doors, spoiler and rolling wheels, and can cost as little as $180 when compared to the MR, which starts at around $450 for some truly terrible colours. I doubt many of you would be thinking about getting a normal Veyron from MR anyway, when both the AUTOart and Minichamps are available for much less, and don't look worse at all. With AUTOart producing all manner of special edition Veyrons, including the Super Sport, one would have little reason to get the MR, unless of course, you're after a Grand Sport or a special colour.

G

·
Great review sir! Your conclusion is obvious. I currently have one by AUTOart Veryon Bugatti in my collection, but plan to add two more; Sang Noir and Super Sport. I still don't understand why people would spend $500 MR when you can have a "die cast" with opening components for under $200

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great review sir! Your conclusion is obvious. I currently have one by AUTOart Veryon Bugatti in my collection, but plan to add two more; Sang Noir and Super Sport. I still don't understand why people would spend $500 MR when you can have a "die cast" with opening components for under $200
After getting the AUTOart and comparing, I have no idea either
However I still want a brown/brown MR Hermès Veyron
The Sang Noir looks great and it'll be interesting to see how the aluminium holds up in the Pur Sang...

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
ow ... nice comparison ..... fine shoot only yer whitebalance is overclocked here

·
Registered
166 Posts
Great review! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.
Yes, MR prices are ridiculous, however, some models are special (either a model itself or color) that are not available from AUTOart, Kyosho etc.
I, personally, would definitely pay premium to have MR Grand Sport in Chrome in my collection

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Great comparison! The last sentence in your review the reason why I would get a resin model over a diecast. It would either be a special colour or a special version. Both are great tho in their own way.

·
Registered
246 Posts
by looks, hands down to autoart..

your only paying for MR due to its exclusivity... personally I dont quite get resin models.

·
Banned
6,036 Posts
OMG,MR looks really bad at the price they want...
I tend to agree with you... for the price point, you'd expect much more than just plastic interior and "chrome-like" wheels. Hmmm.

Nice review/comparison and great photos! I appreciate your hard work in providing a rather surprisingly revealing look at the MR up next to a mid-range model.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Thanks Osman, really appreciated your time and effort you put into taking the photos and the write up. Nice to see you have finally added the Autoart Veyron after so long, congrats for having them both.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Agreed that the AUTOart is overall the much better model, but there is something about that chrome GS of yours Osman - sometimes value is overlooked.....
Great comparison all the same.

·
Administrator
34,171 Posts
Nice review, I'm not a fan of the Veyron at all but like to look at models of it, I think that for the exclusivity factor the MR is the way to go, but at a price & you'd have to be a die hard fan to spend that sort of money on it (I'm talking about the weird funky coloured one, where only a dozen or so are produced)
I don't see why anyone would pay that sort of price for a regular car.

All in all, in some cases the MR looks - dare I say it 'tacky' some of it looks (as mentioned) way too cheap & toy like, for that sort of price it shouldn't be that at all.
So basically, hats off to AUTOart imo it's a no brainer - unless you want a weird colour combo Veyron!

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice review, I'm not a fan of the Veyron at all but like to look at models of it, I think that for the exclusivity factor the MR is the way to go, but at a price & you'd have to be a die hard fan to spend that sort of money on it (I'm talking about the weird funky coloured one, where only a dozen or so are produced)
I don't see why anyone would pay that sort of price for a regular car.

All in all, in some cases the MR looks - dare I say it 'tacky' some of it looks (as mentioned) way too cheap & toy like, for that sort of price it shouldn't be that at all.
So basically, hats off to AUTOart imo it's a no brainer - unless you want a weird colour combo Veyron!
I really don't understand who would want a grey/black Veyron with bright orange rims?! I wouldn't even buy one for $50 from MR! Crazy...no wonder they don't be seem to be shifting any.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Nice review Osman. I see you finally got the Bleu Centenarie! What do you think about it in general? It's been on my list since it came out but I've never pulled the trigger. I've seen it in person once and like the contrast between the matte and glossy paint but do you have any other comments that can set me off the fence to buy it? I currently have the Ice/ Pearl road car, Blue/ Blueblack concept, Purple/Gray Grand Sport and plan on getting a few of those special Autoarts... what do you think- add this one too?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great review, Osman
These pictures make my anxious for my Bleu Centenaire to arrive. I have no interest in the MR Veyron, sorry but I think it looks like a Jada model, $500 for that is absolutely ridiculous.
Thanks Mike, I'm sure you're going to love your Bleu as much as I love mine! The blue and beige go really well together.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts