DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
First up - the Porsche Carrera GT
AUTOart or Minichamps? For those who have the Minichamps and have seen the AUTOart pics.. What do you think? Bear in mind the Minichamps is more than $100. I don't know what the AUTOart will come in at.

Second on the list - the Shelby collectibles
Anyone have these? Specifically, how does the 427 compare to the Kyosho? And are the GT350R any good. I'm guessing it's not up to Lane standards, but it's only $30.

All info greatly appreciated.

:cheers

G

·
I was looking at pics of the AUTOart version, and nothing but questions from me :lol

Whats the deal with the front trunk compartment, from the pics I have seen of the CGT, it doesn't have a carpeted front end. :feedback

On the silver one, the color looks a little mismatched.

I'm no expert, thats why I am piggy backing Richards post with questions.

G

·
Topics on the Cobras are certainly picking up aren't they. I believe Jeff started a topic explaining the differences between brands.

I really like the Red/wht version.

G

·
Both models have their faults. The AUTOart has the carpeted trunk were it shouldn't be and the Minichamps has the incorrect carbon fiber color in the engine bay. The Minichamps has working suspension and leather interior. The AUTOart on the other hand, I think, has the correct rim size. It depends on what you prefer color, accuracy and price. For me I would take the Minichamps anytime, because I like the mechanicals and working suspension. :giggle

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
From what I've seen so far, I would pick AUTOart, even with the carpeted trunk. I don't think Minichamps's version has so much more details and quality to justify the $100+ price tag.

G

·
I believe the AUTOart headlights are more accurate than the Minichamps. The ones on the Minichamps is too 'fat'.

BTW, did anyone noticed that the dealer ed silver Minichamps CGT was available (but now sold out) on Modelissimo, scale18 and a few other places? Is it a reaction from distributors to response to the soon to be released AUTOart CGT? :confused

G

·
Please excuse my ignorance, but this pic of the engine bay shows the "carbon" as being yellowish, just like on the Minichamps version. Could this be on a test car or maybe made to specific orders? :feedback

I would defintely go for the Minichamps version, no question.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm just wondering.. on one of the AUTOart pics in that korean website, looks like there is a switch on the bottom of the car, what is it? :confused

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Cobra...

Here
Here
and here
I have my Shelby Collectibles Cobra sitting next to an Exoto and a Lane and it does not look out of place at all.
A little bit of wax, a few minutes with a detail pen and you have a winner.

Now, it will NEVER be as refined as the twice as expensive Kyosho. So it is up to you to decide if higher detail is more important than an accurate shape.
I chose the shape :cheers

A little info on the Mustang...
Here

I want to get the white GT350R so I can do a head to head review with my Lane version.

G

·
I think the reason for the color mismatch on the AUTOart CGT has to do with AUTOart's passion for the use of plastic on front and rear bumpers, so these look a lil darker (or lighter?) than the rest of the car. :ranting

G

·
After studying many pics of both CGT's, I think I'm going with the AUTOart. I haven't seen either in the metal, but here's what I've noticed from pics:

AUTOart Pros:
More accurate headlight shape (this is probably the biggest reason that I will go with the AUTOart, as incorrect headlight shape can really throw off the look of the whole car)
More accurate wheels size, tire material
Correct brake disk color
Small vent just behind rear wing is actual mesh (looks to be a tampo on Minichamps)
Bumpers are separate pieces (now I know some of you don't like this, but I find that finer detail can be molded into the plastic pieces plus the actual panel gap between the main body and the bumper is more realistic than the slight indention in the metal to suggest a gap on the Minichamps)
The simulated gas cap is more crisply molded (you can barely see an indention on the Minichamps)
The seat *shape* is more accurate (but the material is plasticy looking)
Mirrors don't sag (they look to sit at an angle on the Minichamps)
Overall fit and finish (I've noticed some rough edges and overspray on pics of the Minichamps)
Carbon fiber (on engine and elsewhere) seems a bit more realistic
Available in black (of course this is just personal taste)

Minichamps pros:
Tail lights more accurate and has clear reverse light
No front license plate (again, a personal preference)
Correct trunk lining (although AUTOart will supposedly fix this)
Better seat detail (although the leather makes them a little more bulky than they should be)

There is a great thread with pics that compare the two over at Diecast Central. Here's a link:
http://www.diecastcentral.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2570

G

·
Wow! I am tempted to get one of each! Especially the AutoArt version in black, just SWEET! And this might be my first Porsche in my Bimmer infested collection. :giggle

1 - 20 of 20 Posts