Registered
345 Posts
Cut to the chase (for those with short attention spans): Victory to GMP

The line-up:
Orange #7 is a '69 ZL-1 from Classic Carlectables
White Todco #7 is a '69 from GMP
Yellow is a '68 Z/28 from Lane
Blue #36 is a '67 from GMP

The primary purpose of this was to compare the '69s. On its own the CC ZL-1 is a nice model, but when placed next to the GMP I think it falls down. It just doesn't look right. First, in comparing the roof lines the CC looks much more upright. I don't think the windshield angle is correct resulting in too much greenhouse in the side windows.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In comparing the front ends, well....see for yourself.

The CCs lights are huge and the grill looks too tall.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The angle of the nose also doesn't seem right. It seems to come to a point and then slope down. The GMP flows much more smoothly.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would pick the GMPs out of this bunch, without question. I don't know much of the history of the Bob Jane ZL-1 - whether it was modified for aero reasons, of if CC just got it wrong. Like I said, on it's own it looks good but the GMP is much better. Interior detail on the CC is excellent, but I think that's because it has more to show. The GMPs are plain and business like inside.

What do you guys think? :feedback

G

·
Richard,

Thanks for doing a comparo as I asked the question in another topic.

when comparing the Bob Jane Camaro to the GMP version, you can clearly see a drastic difference.

My question about that particular comparison is: Did the 1:1 Bob Jane have modified panels as the front end looks nothing like a stock Camaro. Also the roof line is high...higher than that of the Lanes version. :confused

Eitherway, great comparison as it shows whats what in comparison to the models available from this era.

The Bob Jane Camaro is still on my list of must haves as it remains a nice piece.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Darrick, I was wondering the same thing. I can see them dropping the nose which might result in an altered grill, but the roof just doesn't look right. I'm taking offers on the CC if anyone is interested. :giggle

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
All I am saying is that I am glad I cancelled my order on the CC when I found out they were not going to change the nose.
That was before I ever knew about the roof.

Nice diecast but it doesn't look enough like a Camaro to me.

The GMP really shows well :cheers

Thanks for the comparo Richard :cheers :cheers

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Thanks for that photo Mike! :cheers
This clearly shows that CC missed the mark on the front end as the one in the pic clearly shows a stock Camaro.
Proportions are way off but it is still a cool model. :giggle

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
My understanding of Aussie road racing rules back then, is that they were similar to those of the early Trans Am here in the States. Body had to remain as near stock as possible, no facsimile body panels. These were not silhoutte racers. So if it was a Camaro imported from the US (or Canada), the body work would have been the same as any other Camaro.

The only way we got the nose on our '69 road racer to droop, even slightly, was to remove the 1 1/2 - 2" rubber spacers between the radiator frame and the front subframe of the chassis, but even doing this, the stock fender line was retained, you only had a mild slope from the base of the windshield forward. This would not, in any way, effect the grill opening, and certainly would not cause the exaggerated drop from the front of the hood opening, as is evident in the CC car.

Really too had they missed the body that badly. With this car having a big block, and the GMP's have a small block, would have been a neat comparison.

Richard, thanks for the photos!

:blahblah

G

·
Great job of making the comparision RichardM!! Again, the GMP Todco '69 is the standard for all '69 Camaros until Exotos is released.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts