DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
As we don't see many chrome or platinum plated models here. I wanted to see what the general consensus was about them.

I've owned only a few, two to be exact. A Platinum C5 and a chrome plated C5R. I thought the finished product in itself was pretty nicely done. But really wasn't a petinent them in my collection. The C5R was more of a model to compliment my C5R's.

I have seen some NASCAR models that are chrome plated and they seem to look awesome, however, thats not a road I'm willing to go down at this time :giggle

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
In my personal opinion, if a (1:1) was built in chrome or platinum, then yes, I would be very interested. Trouble is I don't know of any (1:1) that have been built in those colours.

Could you imagine trying to keep them clean (1:1 or even 1:18)

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I consider my models to be representations of real cars, so these special chrome or platinum models is not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
The only chrome car I like is the Lane Shelby Birthday car. Do Ertl "chase" count on this poll? I have a few, that I found and bought thinking I sell them on eBay, but it seems that not many people want them now, so I display them in their box now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have the Ferrari Millenium cars, so I've got 6 of them. Once I decide to buy it, I'll also get the chrome Schumacher car as well. They aren't my favorite cars, but they are nice, and add a little bit of something different to the collection. When I used to have them displayed, a lot of people would gravitate towards them first since they were all so shiny.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Some cars looks good in chrome or "polished aluminum" (Exoto's 641/2 50th Anniversario is a good example), but generally, I like mine painted.\

Chrome cars - It depends. Chrome robots - Now we're talkin' ! :happy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Rat said:
:iagree Chrome bots are cool, I didn't make it last week but hopefully tomorrow I'll have one to go with the chrome Audi Avus Quattro, the only chrome model that I like. I prefer bare metal - unpainted finish. :cheers
I think I know which bot. :cheers

Can't wait to see the pics! :danbanna

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess I'm on the dark side then :giggle I like the shiny cars and if they look nice and fit into my collection then YOU BETCHA! I'm gonna buy them.
In NHRA diecasts its called color chrome and these cars sell for MORE money than the regular paint schemes do :confused Action keeps doing them so somebody must like them enough to buy them :yahoo :cheers

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
:iagree Otherwise I don't collect chrome or platinum or gold plated models.

The only chrome car I have is the Audi Avus Concept from 1991 because the 1:1 concept car was chrome. I saw it at the Montreal auto show in 91 or 92.

The only other chrome one I know is the Ford GR-1 Concept, but it's not available in 1:18.

AUDI AVUS CONCEPT

FORD GR-1 CONCEPT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually , the Audi Avus was polished Aluminium , not chrome .

The Audi was my only "chromy" looking car , but was sold a while ago .

Personally I think plated cars are an acquired taste , not my taste though :scared

1 - 20 of 30 Posts