DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried to chrome up plastic wheels? I've been trying to find a Cecotto M3 GTR (E36) in 1:18 for a while with no luck (or not enough money to buy it). I have seen this car come up in 1:43 but the wheels do not have a chromed finish as the 1:1 had.

Does anyone have any chroming product to recommend?

G

·
i have not but i am very keen to learn if there is such a way to do it.
from what i know i don't think you can, but never know i could b wrong.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
If you have an airbrush, use a product called Alclad II. They have all kinds of metal colors to include chrome.

http://www.alclad2.com/alclad-home.html

Testors also has a line of bare metal airbrush paints too in their 'Metalizer' line. I'm not sure if they have chrome though... I know they do have a spray called chrome, but if it's not one of their Metalizer paints, I heard it looks more silver than a chrome.

Model builders swear by the Alclad stuff.

:cheers
Sean

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for posting that info Sean. Unfortunately, I don't have an airbrush. Something tells me they're not all that cheap, at least for a decent one. But I'm sure more than a few model modders here would be pretty fascinated by this product line.

G

·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
There are a number of chrome plating services. I have never used one, but this one in particular has been in business for about 20 years, and you can usually find their add in any modeling magazine. The process is vacuum plated aluminum, just like the original model parts: click here

The cost according to the catalog is about $20 for the amount of parts that can fit into a space that would be just about 8 wheels in 1/18 scale.

===================
If you really want polished aluminum rather than real chrome look, there are a number of different 'chrome' spray can type paints. None of these look like chrome, but a couple of them do look very much like polished aluminum. And the cost and effort is low.

Krylon and Dupli-Color are two brands which come to mind. Krylon has two paints with chrome caps, but the one labeled METALIC silver is a nice silver but not the polished look - use the CHROME labeled can instead.

Either is automotive quality, which means the can is large, cheap, easy to spray, and the paint is first quality (because it is meant for outdoor use on a 1:1 car).

====================
I hope that one of these suggestions is helpful.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
One word of caution about using the automotive and Krylon spray paints. These paints are thicker than those designed for models. I've tried them on a few scrap airplane fusalages and didn't have much luck. The thicker consistancy of the paint ended up hiding the detail.

Another medium you may want to try is finger nail polish. It thins easily with nail polish remover. I built a plastic Corvette kit and used nail polish through my airbrush to paint the body!!! Turned out AWESOME!!! And there are tons of colors out there - even metallic tones. The color I used was a deep metallic maroon on the car.

What ever you decide to go with, test it on something similar first before you do it on your project!!!

I'll pull the car out and take some pics of the nail polish painted car if you want!

Sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.