DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 19 of 93 Posts

· Registered
501 Posts
I'd love an updated Efigy too, just so I can actually get one without mortgaging the house! I'm not sure who actually makes their models, but whoever it is does a pretty good job, especially of the older Australian road cars. The EH Holdens and the new Cortina MK1 for example are very well made models with proper bonnet hinges, soft-feel seats, some have working suspension, real metal trim, see-through photo-etch grilles etc...and fully opening diecast with proper engine details. We're fortunate in Australia that we have more than one company producing good quality models of many of the unique cars that have graced our roads.

· Registered
501 Posts
Yes I like the Alan Mann versions, Autoart did a couple of Australian race Lotus Cortinas too, one for the Neptune Racing Team (Jim McKeown) and at least one of Allan Moffats cars. I don't think the GT500 is a rework of the Autoart version, the boot doesn't open on the Carlectables version (although looking at the casting it appears that it may have been designed to open originally), in the booklet that comes with the GT500 it says that two 1:1 cars were scanned in Australia to create the tooling (it even names the owners of the cars), so I think it's new. CC don't have a relationship with Autoart as far as I know, unlike Biante who get Autoart to produce many of their models. Happy to be corrected on this one of course. They can do a few different race versions of the GT and GT500, as well as road derivatives, and I don't see why they can't do a Lotus version as well.

· Registered
501 Posts
That is a shame, I never had, or seen West End. Are they going to make a XXXX? Cause, I will buy that one. To be honest, I enjoyed XXXX Gold more than XB.
I wouldn't say that West End was the gold standard in beer production or quality, however it has a proud and long history in South Australia. Just remembered that my mum also worked there, just after leaving school. A glass of West End Draught straight off the keg at near freezing temperature on a hot Australian summer day is still a refreshing drop.
Looks like they're doing a traditional beer tour of Australia..... VB - Victoria (Melbourne), Tooheys - New South Wales (Sydney), West End - South Australia (Adelaide, the best home of the Australian Grand Prix but I digress), Castlemaine - Queensland (Brisbane). None of the modern and superior beers look to be represented, which is likely due to the XC Falcon being discontinued around 1978, namely Coopers (Adelaide), James Boag (Tasmania, Launceston), Cascade (Tasmania, Hobart), etc.......
I'm getting thirsty.

· Registered
501 Posts
Their concept of 'Worldwide' seems to be well wide of the mark.
Unless they think that the continent of Australia represents the whole world. :mad:
He he. We like to copy the Americans with that one.......baseball's World Series, anyone? :giggle:
I understand your pain regarding not having an EU distributor for these. CC have been around for a long time, there must be a good reason why no-one has taken on overseas distribution.

The Vegemite van is out now, and looks great. Might have to get one.

· Registered
501 Posts
I wonder if they just can't get the volume required to set up distribution. Bit of a shame that you've found communication to be poor. They must be focused solely on the local market, that's where the money is, not many people from overseas are going to buy old Holden or Ford road car models. Racing versions can be a different story however.

Which retailers have you dealt with, if I may ask? I deal with a couple of good ones. It's just difficult to avoid the big postage costs no matter who you go through.

Interestingly, their new Vegemite Holden Panel Van is made in Indonesia, not China. I think this is the first model they have done from a new manufacturing base (I'd have to check if the Arnotts Panel Van was China or Indonesia as that model was the first with this tooling), and they're not the only ones moving away from China. Looking forward to seeing what the quality is like, initial reports seem to be good.

· Registered
501 Posts
Mmmm thanks. Kollectable Kaos is near my place, bit surprised by that. You could try DiecastGOLD Australia via FB, the owner is in Tasmania and does do international shipping although I don't know how much it would be. If you're OK using FB (his page is private, you need to request to join) he's very communicative and helpful. He's also involved in low runs of unique models such as some of the cars from the Mad Max movie, usually with Ace Model Cars.

· Registered
501 Posts
It's more about the driver than the finish in the race in this case. Dick Johnson is a touring car legend in Australia and many people collect models of all of his race cars, hence a 5th place car is still worth producing. Interestingly, this car has been produced already by Biante/Autoart some time ago in 1:18 (around 1100 produced), so I'm not quite sure how well this one will go. Scalextric are also producing a 1:32 slot car, due for release early next year. The 'worldwide' moniker is just marketing blurb, I don't take any notice of it. You can be sure that they won't make any more though!

· Registered
501 Posts
The Bartlett Z28 Camaro has been released, I like it but there's also another version of Dick Johnson's fox body Mustang Group A being released in the next few days - I won't get both, at the moment I'm leaning towards the Mustang. These are AU$300 each, at the moment that's US$200.

· Registered
501 Posts
Yes, I've seen the Bartlett Camaro on sale now at a few retailers. I'm waiting to see who else offers it and their price/shipping before pulling the trigger. I like Johnson's Mustang as well, but share similar sentiments with regards to pricing and will only get one.

As much as I like the Mustang, I'm all in on the Camaro as it was the first diecast I saw online from CC and was just blown away by it (and gravely disappointed when I saw it was last released a decade ago with reseller prices to match). Nobody has reproduced the 2nd gen Camaro as well as they have. Plus it's history is really interesting and will be a fun piece to own.
Same with me regarding the Camaro, secondhand prices are very high and it's probably the last chance to get one of them at RRP since this mold was last produced 9 years ago (not many other liveries can be produced, same with the Mustang) - maybe I just need to buy two and sell the one I like the least!

· Registered
501 Posts
[/QUOTE]

You could also buy both and sell something else to even out the purchase. 😁😁😁
[/QUOTE]
Yes possibly, although I've never sold anything before! I don't buy much and usually think it through first, so there's really nothing that I want to get rid of.

· Registered
501 Posts
Whoops, I completely forgot to relay the information back. Yes, they shipped! It looks like the KK system must get more automated for orders once they receive. Possibly due to the order amount they receive? Not sure, but it should be here in the next couple days from tracking!
:)
Good stuff Turtle, hope it gets there safe and you're happy with it.

· Registered
501 Posts
How do you like the model? Any issues you have found?
I've only taken it out briefly to take this pic, but first impressions are very positive. I'll go over it more closely later on. It's such a cool car and it's modelled very well. I've since looked at YT and there's quite a few videos of it in period, it raced at Bathurst for 4 years in a row including two pole positions, just either ran out of brakes (Kev Bartlett said that it didn't stop when you hit the brakes, rather it "eased up" - that is until they got decent disc brakes on the rear instead of drums......that's a bit of a story in itself) or had bad luck. There were some privateer Camaros running at the same time so I suppose they could produce those in the future.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

· Registered
501 Posts
It looks great! Mine arrived today as well. Now I am curious about how the paint holds up, but on the open wheel CC, the paint seems to be well applied.
View attachment 284553
Looks good! Hopefully the paint holds up, I've got a few models from CC and most are still fine, one V8 Supercar has some rash but it's a black car so it's not as noticeable (and it's from 2007). i have one of the open wheel models and it's still 100%. I wonder if the wheel covers come off? The gold Simmons race wheels look to be lurking underneath.

· Registered
501 Posts
Wow, as I was checking my collection room to see if I had space for this one, I found this.

CC Camaro by Jim Forte, on Flickr

Similar, but slightly different livery, seems I've had it for a while.

Anyone know the backstory about the difference between the two?

Thanks!
Ha ha that's funny Jim, at least you didn't buy another one!! No sure which version you have there but there's only detail differences between the three releases, so it probably isn't worth picking up another one. I only bought one because the previous ones are too expensive on Ebay now.

· Registered
501 Posts
For most of the time the Camaro was in use in Australia it was required - by the rules - to stick with drum rear brakes.
The road car versions still came this way, and the racer had to continue to use them, and on a relatively heavy car this was a major handicap.
So you guess correctly, there were no major race results for any of the versions shown above - indeed for the Camaro in general.
I'd still like to be able to afford to import a Bartlett Bathurst version myself..... :oops:
Yes the brakes were a real problem, Kevin Bartlett was very vocal about it at the time and in his pit lane interview that can be found on YT at Bathurst he didn't hold back - Kev is a real character. The car itself was on pole twice at Bathurst so it had plenty of grunt, but it would run out of brakes too quickly and lap times would drop off. It also won a few Championship races and after discs were added in 1981 it was very competitive. Bartlett offers a brief insight in the following article:
GALLERY: KEVIN BARLETT TALKS ABOUT HIS CHANNEL NINE CAMARO
It's funny reading about the weight reduction they were able to achieve - Dick Johnson was able to get his Falcon down to a couple of hundred kilograms lighter again than the Camaro as the paperwork the Ford crew submitted for homologation for the XD Falcon was for the ute version, not the sedan - it's only illegal if you get caught!
I'm still really enjoying the Camaro model, it has to be one of CC's best efforts. They are still around at retail price down here so you could still take the plunge, I know it's not cheap but I think it's worth it.

1 - 19 of 93 Posts