DiecastXchange Forum banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

· Registered
7,661 Posts
Yep, and they have absolutely lousy correspondence skills. So do some of their retailers as well. I am about to give up on their product line and just stick with the 4 open wheel I have from them.
You would think that a company would look to supply as many markets as possible where there is a demand for their products.
I also wrote to all of the big diecast manufacturers based in Australia - and only one replied to say they didn't see any interest overseas. :unsure::mad:

· Registered
475 Posts
I wonder if they just can't get the volume required to set up distribution. Bit of a shame that you've found communication to be poor. They must be focused solely on the local market, that's where the money is, not many people from overseas are going to buy old Holden or Ford road car models. Racing versions can be a different story however.

Which retailers have you dealt with, if I may ask? I deal with a couple of good ones. It's just difficult to avoid the big postage costs no matter who you go through.

Interestingly, their new Vegemite Holden Panel Van is made in Indonesia, not China. I think this is the first model they have done from a new manufacturing base (I'd have to check if the Arnotts Panel Van was China or Indonesia as that model was the first with this tooling), and they're not the only ones moving away from China. Looking forward to seeing what the quality is like, initial reports seem to be good.

· Premium Member
338 Posts
I was dealing with Vince Diecast, but they went out of business I believe. Then I was dealing with Kollectible Kaos, but after initial responses, they no longer respond to correspondence.

· Premium Member
338 Posts
You would think that a company would look to supply as many markets as possible where there is a demand for their products.
I also wrote to all of the big diecast manufacturers based in Australia - and only one replied to say they didn't see any interest overseas. :unsure::mad:
I would agree with some of the specialty livery, but for the most part, I think their racing livery offerings would do just fine in other markets than just AU.

· Registered
475 Posts
Mmmm thanks. Kollectable Kaos is near my place, bit surprised by that. You could try DiecastGOLD Australia via FB, the owner is in Tasmania and does do international shipping although I don't know how much it would be. If you're OK using FB (his page is private, you need to request to join) he's very communicative and helpful. He's also involved in low runs of unique models such as some of the cars from the Mad Max movie, usually with Ace Model Cars.

· Registered
7,661 Posts
I also dealt with Kollectable Kaos in the past.
Now if I buy from outside the EU the chances of having a parcel slip through without customs involvement is virtually nil.
I recently posted a note in the delays, delays thread about a shipment of Spark being held up by German customs.
In June I had a €15 package stopped by local customs, it cost me €11 in various charges to get it cleared.
Perhaps if the Australian companies now understood that there ARE collectors for local models, and that buying direct is now so much more expensive.
Shipping something from China, Indonesia or Bangladesh to Australia and then all the way back around the world is completely daft....

· Administrator
35,239 Posts
I've had from Car Models of Braidwood in the past. I found a really rare Ignition model in stock there & Rob bought it and sent it over to me. It was at MRSP, not sure if they are expensive or not now though.

Their web is, carmodels.com.au

· Premium Member
687 Posts
Just wanted to do a special call out to Classic Carlectibles. I purchased the Ford Falcon XA this summer and not only had the hood lip chrome trim come off during shipping, but it had snapped in half. It was repairable, but I wanted to see if they offered a replacement. And they did. They had their distributor mail me the piece at no charge and it recently arrived.

From all the comments on the non-responsiveness of manufacturers it's nice to find the ones that do care about customer service.

👍👍👍

· Premium Member
687 Posts
It's possible they are satisfied with the market share they currently have and see no need in risking expansion.

From my observations, their primary competitor's, Biante, output has slowed down and with AutoArts turn to composites, their older molds are seemingly mothballed now (I'd imagine if they owned the molds they'd shift them to another manufacturer, but it's possible AA retains control of the molds and won't let them, but I obviously don't know). CC still outputs many of their older molds in different colours and trims and they continuously churn out new molds. If you want some of the classic Fords and Holdens only CC still releases new versions.

So from a business aspect why deal with international distribution when everything you produce is easily handled locally especially since expansion produces higher risk and potentially not that much greater return.

Not that I don't agree with you, but I can fathom why they don't.

· Registered
7,661 Posts
It's possible they are satisfied with the market share they currently have and see no need in risking expansion.

From my observations, their primary competitor's, Biante, output has slowed down and with AutoArts turn to composites, their older molds are seemingly mothballed now (I'd imagine if they owned the molds they'd shift them to another manufacturer, but it's possible AA retains control of the molds and won't let them, but I obviously don't know). CC still outputs many of their older molds in different colours and trims and they continuously churn out new molds. If you want some of the classic Fords and Holdens only CC still releases new versions.

So from a business aspect why deal with international distribution when everything you produce is easily handled locally especially since expansion produces higher risk and potentially not that much greater return.

Not that I don't agree with you, but I can fathom why they don't.
Fair points.
Although I don't recall any company restricting sales anywhere they can get them.
One big retailer or perhaps a distributor such as Toms could probably handle the restricted market for those few of us (in Europe) who would want to buy.
I don't see any evidence of ZModels/Otto or similar turning down the same option in the other direction.
When I take a rare look on bigger Japanese retailer sites car models representing the real thing that have never been sold in Japan, usually sell out quickly.
Case in point - Hobby Search/1999.co.jp sell imported models, often the whole batch is gone before the product arrives into the country.
I guess it's one of those issues that will continue to rankle, the most desirable items are usually those that are very difficult to get..... :unsure::)

· Premium Member
687 Posts
Some more 'worldwide' releases coming in 2023. Don't follow racing, but perhaps one of the members down under can enlighten us as to why a 5th place finisher is being reproduced. :unsure: Although I do like the livery.

Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light

· Registered
475 Posts
It's more about the driver than the finish in the race in this case. Dick Johnson is a touring car legend in Australia and many people collect models of all of his race cars, hence a 5th place car is still worth producing. Interestingly, this car has been produced already by Biante/Autoart some time ago in 1:18 (around 1100 produced), so I'm not quite sure how well this one will go. Scalextric are also producing a 1:32 slot car, due for release early next year. The 'worldwide' moniker is just marketing blurb, I don't take any notice of it. You can be sure that they won't make any more though!

· Registered
475 Posts
The Bartlett Z28 Camaro has been released, I like it but there's also another version of Dick Johnson's fox body Mustang Group A being released in the next few days - I won't get both, at the moment I'm leaning towards the Mustang. These are AU$300 each, at the moment that's US$200.

· Premium Member
687 Posts
Yes, I've seen the Bartlett Camaro on sale now at a few retailers. I'm waiting to see who else offers it and their price/shipping before pulling the trigger. I like Johnson's Mustang as well, but share similar sentiments with regards to pricing and will only get one.

As much as I like the Mustang, I'm all in on the Camaro as it was the first diecast I saw online from CC and was just blown away by it (and gravely disappointed when I saw it was last released a decade ago with reseller prices to match). Nobody has reproduced the 2nd gen Camaro as well as they have. Plus it's history is really interesting and will be a fun piece to own.

· Registered
475 Posts
Yes, I've seen the Bartlett Camaro on sale now at a few retailers. I'm waiting to see who else offers it and their price/shipping before pulling the trigger. I like Johnson's Mustang as well, but share similar sentiments with regards to pricing and will only get one.

As much as I like the Mustang, I'm all in on the Camaro as it was the first diecast I saw online from CC and was just blown away by it (and gravely disappointed when I saw it was last released a decade ago with reseller prices to match). Nobody has reproduced the 2nd gen Camaro as well as they have. Plus it's history is really interesting and will be a fun piece to own.
Same with me regarding the Camaro, secondhand prices are very high and it's probably the last chance to get one of them at RRP since this mold was last produced 9 years ago (not many other liveries can be produced, same with the Mustang) - maybe I just need to buy two and sell the one I like the least!

41 - 60 of 93 Posts