DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been commented that this is the most beautiful car every stamped out and set forth onto a road. Only four made of this body style upon the Type 57 chassis, so rare are these cars in the real world..they are among the most valuable and will be forever associated with the men whom first bought them with the exception of the missing black one.

The Atlantic was the production version of the 1935 Aerolithe concept car.

That car is thought to have been paraded around for a bit before being taken back to the factory and dismantled. Parts of that car are rumored to have gone into one of the four Atlantics, the one sold to Victor Rothchild. The Aerolithe was recreated by the restoration garage "The Guild" located in Ontario, Canada and used an actual Type 57 chassis; the rest of the car was recreated from a few photographs. That car, pictured in the above with Jay leno and Guild Co-Owner David Granger was just recently sold.

This model has been shown so much over the past decade or so and has been offered by more than one die-cast manufacturer. This Model shows the Atlantic that was sold to Richard, B Pope on the 2nd of May 1938 and survives today. Chassis 57591. It was bought by Ralf Lauren in 1988 and restored back to its 1938 condition but at Lauren's request was painted black instead of its original blue color and the wheel covers were added giving it a very similar look of it lost sister, chassis 57453 also known as the "black car". That car was lost in 1938 when it was put on a train with several others going West ahead of the Nazi invasion of France for safe keeping. But the train it is thought never reached its destination and all the cars were lost including the black car.

Here is Mr. Lauren with this restored Atlantic..

I picked up this model second hand and am thankful I did because current prices are around thousand. Like other CMC models..it is just a work of scaled automotive art with all the details and open parts. When editing these I had fun, putting on some period French music and let the time and era of the car take over which is why I ended up in Sepia toned black and white.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Those photo studio quality photos really fooled me! I kept scolling down to look for the actual photos of the CMC model then i realised i have scrolled past them LOL

I missed the boat on the CMC Bug so as a consolation i bought myself an inexpensive Solido too. But mine is lighter shade of blue with steel wheels. Still a beauty regardless of the maker but definitely would be a lot more happier if it is a CMC 😆

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
Wow, these photos are perfect, so fitting for the car 👏 The CMC Type 57s are really special, congratulations. I remember, not even that long ago, when this black one could be had on Ebay for about $250... I eventually found a blue one, in 2020, for only a little bit more, and maybe, it's one of the best deals that I've ever gotten. You can't go wrong with either color though, the blue one looks more nostalgic, but this black one looks classier and sleeker.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the comment everyone, I am glad the photos turned out ok and you all like them. This car has been covered a lot here and I had to do something different with it.

Beautiful pictures! I have the black one with wire wheels in 1:18 scale made by Solido, and it's not too shabby for the inexpensive price! 😀
I think the Solido looks very good and at a price that is easier to swallow.

Those photo studio quality photos really fooled me! I kept scolling down to look for the actual photos of the CMC model then i realised i have scrolled past them LOL

I missed the boat on the CMC Bug so as a consolation i bought myself an inexpensive Solido too. But mine is lighter shade of blue with steel wheels. Still a beauty regardless of the maker but definitely would be a lot more happier if it is a CMC 😆
Again, If I had to buy the CMC now..I won't..so I think the Solido version of this rare car is very worth it.

Wonderful photo for a fabulous model. Thank you, it's always a pleasure to admire a CMC Atlantic and in this restored livery, with its Art Deco trim, it's really splendid.
Thanks John..the old "egg on a teaspoon" was so forward thinking for the late 30's and still looks amazing. Jay Leno sort of turned me on to cars from that period; and did anyone notice the authentic framed French Art Deco pattern on the walls?

Wow, these photos are perfect, so fitting for the car 👏 The CMC Type 57s are really special, congratulations. I remember, not even that long ago, when this black one could be had on Ebay for about $250... I eventually found a blue one, in 2020, for only a little bit more, and maybe, it's one of the best deals that I've ever gotten. You can't go wrong with either color though, the blue one looks more nostalgic, but this black one looks classier and sleeker.
Hey your right the prices on these jump to stupid levels in the just past few years and congrats on a good deal. I was very lucky to get this one of Ironism when he was selling his collection at the start of 2020 for around $300. I agree that either color works, if a cars shape is stunning enough and this was sure is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts