DiecastXchange Forum banner

CMC Mercedes 300 SL Panamericana 1952

8K views 58 replies 9 participants last post by  BURN 
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
:iagree
It's NO WAY near the W196R, SLR, Targa Florio or the future release 250 F. It's a nice model, maybe with Kyosho/AUTOart level, but far from outstanding. In fact, it has so little "oomph" that I would easily settle for Ricko's version (if I could find one, or both of them, for that matter).

PS: Your brother is a person of fine taste, if I may say. The world doesn't end at Stuttgart, ya' know. :wink

Ok, here we go.

Since I infer that "that particular person" is me, let me answer directly. Am I an expert? Of course I am. PhD in Diecast Collecting. In fact, I'm the world's top expert about what I like and what I don't. So, if I say that I think that the W196R is ages better then the Panamericana, you can be 100% sure that I really think that way.

You think the Panamericana is a wonderfull model? Good for you. Wanna buy it? Good luck, hope you find one (if by any chance you find two, let me know, because I also want to buy it - for a decent price, of course). Does that mean that the Panamericana is better or as good as CMC's latest models? h*ll NO, NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!!!! If you do think that, I can only say I admire your loyalty to the brand (or do you work there? Unhappily we don't know much about you).

If you cared to read my reviews on my CMC models (which I suspect you didn't) you will read that I only wrote praise about them, becuase they're good, very good in fact. They're definitively in the top 10 models of my collection (at 117 as of now). BUT, though I like CMC, even though I would like to have the Panamericana, it's not a great model. Ricko has the same car for a fraction of the price, and the detail level is not bad. If I ever found a CMC Panamericana for a price I could afford I would buy it without thinking twice, but that doesn't mean it's a fantastic model. If I find Ricko's 1st, I would buy it and WOULD NOT by CMC's if it showed up later.

So please, before you give your "technical opinions" (and of course you're entitled to them, and we would like to hear them), try to be less "owner of the truth". As you read, you got two members upset with your replies. We have a very nice community here, the best forum on the Web in my humble opinion. Please excuse us, but everybody here get's a little nervous when somebody is called out, so to say. Most of the members here are friends, and friends go like that.

I think I extended myself too much there, so let's move on, shall we? :cheers

So "World", I think you might have made a big mistake: we're collectors here, not traders/sellers/dealers or whomever profit with the hobby. We only spend money on the hobby because it's, well, a hobby, and we like it. If a legit seller is oferreing a legit model for whatever price he's asking, and that price happens to be lower then another seller's price, we will buy from the 1st. That's normal and expected, since everyone here does not have a money cow in his/her back yard. Being quite honest, we're not very worried about who is profitting more or less, as long as we get what we want at the price we can pay.

Is eBay a problem for sellers? Probably is, as what we discussed on another topic, but guess what: it's not our problem. If eBay happens to have the best price, and we're willing to accept the risk of not inspecting what we're buying, it's at eBay that we will buy. DX and other online forums is not the place to gauge the market if you're interested in the economics envolved with the hobby. Quite frankly, I don't give a fig about that. I do care, though, is that I get what I payed for (and a just price, of course).

Here we talk about models, collections and prices. Yes, we discuss prices, but basically where is the best deal to find the model we want. We talk about what is the best model out there and what we want to see in whatever scale we collect. We do not discuss economics as we do not discuss politics, because it's just not why we're into this hobby.

But if you do want to talk about that, great, start a thread and I'm positive you'll get replies (maybe even I will be able to add something to the discussion). But if you permit, let me hand out just one word of advice from someone who has been collecting for 2,5 (yup, two and a half) years and been around DX for 1,5 years: be nice. No need to stir up the pot to get "reactions". Just ask politely and everyone answers. DX guys and gals are a jolly bunch. :wink

Sorry for kicking someone who is down, but I couldn't resist:

Try selling models to skilled engineers. We, the collectors are the ones who buy and collect them, not the "experts". :giggle

Sorry dude, in the beginning I thought you were serious, but wasn't very crafty with words. But on further review, it looks like you don't know the difference between a Bburago and an Exoto. And of course, India and USA 1 and 2 showed more "expertise", even though they're just collectors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.