DiecastXchange Forum banner

CMC Mercedes 300 SL Panamericana 1952

8K views 58 replies 9 participants last post by  BURN 
G
#1 ·
Hey people,

I need some information on this model made by CMC and some pictures if possible. How do you rate it?

Don't worry, I am not going to venture outside of Porsche... its for my older brother, after seeing LUW's latest CMC purchase......

:feedback :feedback

Thanks people

#2 ·
Its an older model and it won't be up to the standards of the latest CMC's
I don't have one yet but I have seen them and they are probably like a average Kyosho in detail or a bit above.
The build quality on CMC is usually very high :cheers

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
:iagree
It's NO WAY near the W196R, SLR, Targa Florio or the future release 250 F. It's a nice model, maybe with Kyosho/AUTOart level, but far from outstanding. In fact, it has so little "oomph" that I would easily settle for Ricko's version (if I could find one, or both of them, for that matter).

PS: Your brother is a person of fine taste, if I may say. The world doesn't end at Stuttgart, ya' know. :wink

G
#4 ·
Yes we know it is an old model. It has been on his want list for so long. So, he just decided to get it. I dont think it is going to be made by any top end company in the near future.

He has good taste.... I will submit the pics of his collection one day... he is too lazy to take the pics of his cars though... guess who needs to do that work?.....

G
#8 ·
hi I have a bit of info on this car, yes its an older model but it has been reworked quite alot to improve quality against other makes such as exoto etc this is normal in the diecast world always improving.

CMC are excellent models very well made well worth the money and you will not be disapointed with it.

They have them in stock and ready for delivery.

Lots of people have these CMC models as a centre piece for the office or surgery.

Look foward to the Lancia Birdcage plus the 250F in the summer time and the Ferrari 250 SWB in 2006. I saw the prototypes in Germany and not only are they nice people to deal with but the models are well above expectations within the trade. Which means we are happy to have them on board.

For the Admin staff I hope you are happy with this reply good info from a good source. it is not a sales pitch.

G
#10 · (Edited)
Actually if you have to ask, then you already know the answer. From my last pm to you, then you know whether or not myself and the Admin Staff are happy with your tactics, alledged accusations against members behind their backs as well as your condescending pm's.

Don't play word games with me, play them with someone else.

Burn, apologies for straying your topic.

G
#17 ·
Apologies for the misconception of the reply The person who I am talking to is the person who has replied to your original thread I would just like to know how he evaluates models and in what capacity either qualifications or is it just personal judgement.

We are quite concerned that some models are put down which in turn discourages potential buyers away from a certain brand.

I do hope this is not this your case.

Thanks

G
#18 · (Edited)
We are all collectors here, some have great collections and are very helpful in giving indications. LUW is no exception. He has two CMCs if I am correct and I very much appreciate his comment. I don't think that this is done to put down the model.

I think it is a fact that the Panamericana is an older model, and that most diecast companies are always evolving to the best. So it is obvious that a newer model is better than a old model. I don't think that anyone has ever misjudged any diecast company, even if it has been done, other members would have pointed out their different opinion.

CMC are obviously a great diecast company, no problem with that, but it obvious that members who have both an old model and a new model from CMC can see the difference between the two and give out their opinion. Afterall this is what a forum is all about, people helping out each other. If someone buys a diecast which is not up to standard., it is his right and duty, in my opinion, to point out such a fact.

I dont know or care if you are a seller of some sort. I just opened this topic so that I will know what to expect from THIS MODEL and not the brand. And if you read correctly, people here gave their opinion about Panamericana and not CMC as a whole.

So please, if you have a comment on the diecast please post it. But if you have a problem of a 'sales' thing please use other methods which are given here at DX, either PM him or open another topic for your thought.

Thanks

G
#21 ·
Hi the problem is not a sales thing its a future branding concern for manufacturers

Forums such as this unintentionaly but still the same downing models and manufacturers whether its a quality issue or even worse a pricing one, which are associated with the good names manufacturers have built up. Its bad enough members advertising that you can buy Minichamps from the UK for trade price even as an end buyer, but that`s a different topic.

I was after his profesional and qualified opinion on why he said the quality from the first CMCs were not quite the same. and what this has done to your decision to buy this particular model for your brother.

Ask him why he realy wants it, if its because if its the Pan American topic there are cheaper manufacturers around who also make this model. If its the CMC model buy it for him and watch his face light up in delight. but please come back and tell us why. I am not the only one who is interested in end reciever reactions.

Thanks

#22 ·
This isn't a market research site.
DX is for colletors to share their passion for diecast with others.
Your commercial concerns about how collectors rate various products do not influence or interest us.
Please stop polluting our forum with your commercial related concerns.

G
#24 ·
Thanks for your reply

Points have been taken on board and it has helped alot esp the point qualified opinion side. Value for money well all manufacturers have experts who deal with that side They just cant understand why some people will still insist on spending lots of money on minichamps mclaren gtrs and so forth and can get the same car from IXO but I am sure some one in the forum will tell us all about collectabilty.

I was actually trying to get that particular person to admit they are not an expert through you but just a collector to which in many eyes not just mine means they have no idea about quality models you just want it because its there and if you can afford it you will buy it. Its up to the trade to stock these items we will stock anything as long as it sells within the trade and the public via various websites and ebay but when we do a show then the quality comes out.

Scale model engineering is an art

Admin, read your forums front page it says everyone is entitled to an opinion. We take your members opinions very seriously. no matter how I come across on this forum I am also entitled to mine.

thanks

#25 ·
And your opinion means less to me with every post.

I pity your customers if this is your attitude toward collectors.

"Just a collector"

I sure know which store in Germany to avoid at all costs.

Its a shame that we don't measure up to our high standards of expertise. :eek:k

Give me a break!

Comment all you want about models but the minute you start attacking members here and insulting them then we have an issue.

This is the end of this argument, you are boring us with your supposed superior intellect.

G
#27 ·
I don't have much more to say. Just that you or your opinion are not welcome anymore to me. Your attitude towards diecast and collectors is a mere profit making business. You do not see into it, you are not a collector.

I am sorry for you as you are not going to get any orders from me, and probably from any other member here. There are many diecast shops around, you are not gaining any respect here.

If we would do as you say, everybody would end up collecting the same exact things and manufacturers would end up doing the same cars. Everybody does his wishlist, everyone buys according to his theme. Obvoiusly if he gets a deal on one of them he would buy from there. Money is an issue to everybody, you should know since you are in business. Believe me, I know what it means to have a diecast shop, I have been there, and your attitude shown here today is just plain wrong. You call it art, I agree, you just see the profit making side, I disagree.

Sorry, but I hope I will never have to encounter you or someone else like you again on DX or on any other method of communication.

G
#28 · (Edited)
Firstly Id like to say to Bernard , Jeff and Luciano , WTG Guys :nicejob :nicejob

I would also like to add this:

Forums such as this unintentionaly but still the same downing models and manufacturers whether its a quality issue or even worse a pricing one, which are associated with the good names manufacturers have built up. Its bad enough members advertising that you can buy Minichamps from the UK for trade price even as an end buyer, but that`s a different topic.
This quote was directed at me , and to be perfectly honest , I cant see what the h*ll it has to do with you what I tell fellow members regarding the prices I pay for my diecasts , trade or otherwise .
You pm me with your oh so nice attitude , asking about model shops in my area , and can I get all the Minichamps range at trade , then you come onto the forum and attack me for mentioning trade prices .
Is it supposed to be an official secret what these cars can be bought for ?
Obviously it seems that you object to members finding out because they will then see exactly how much profit you line your pockets with , thats if they didnt know already .
As a trader , I can buy at Trade price , and if I want to tell the world and his son how much I got them for , then thats my business , NOT YOURS .

You have no right to come onto this forum and make comments in the manner you have , not for any reason. Attacking members and trying to discredit them by saying they are not "experts" is disgusting and as it has been pointed out to you already , it will not be tolerated .
You certainly have a right to your opinion , but with opinions like yours , maybe theyre better kept to yourself .
I think you have shot your bolt on this forum , and if you think any member purchases will be coming your way....well lets just say , I wouldnt hold your breath .

One final word of advice.........Dont let the door hit you in the a$$ on your way out .

G
#29 ·
Hi Everyone

thanks for your replys

First Brazil I did read your appraisel as we have read every thread on this forum
Second we are concerned with people knocking mayby only one car from a brand but no smoke without fire.

I dont work for any manufacturer or wholesaler but I am invited to consult on certain issues
which brings me on to Newcastle.
Pricing issues and the divide between end user and trade.

To get any trade price on any item you are supposed to be an officialy registered with VAT no trader, and possibly having a retail store ask John Ayrey. AB gee etc I gather that by mentioning beaties in the metro centre you are an end user please correct me if I am wrong.

There is supposed to be dividing line between end user and trade I hope India is reading this as I am sure he will agree. If you are not the importer apologies to you.

Where you now go for your diecast I know who it is has a policy of after preorders have been filled at normal or a´slightly discouted price will dump his stock ASP for his money back so you were lucky to get stock at 11,33 thats if you are not trade in the UK. But who does he talk to to get new stock when the UKs wholesale has already gone. I dont know

Giving out those prices makes collectors think they have the god given right to badger me at shows for 11,33 minichamps and now you know why Amerang has a problem with diecast no trader will take them on. because there is no profit in this.

Now Malta

I am in business for a number of reasons not just to make money, its also to help companies with either languge or information problems. We do this by providing people with a product or service I couldnt care less if a collector buys from me or not the end user is a very small amount on my turnover.

I sell many lines not only diecast and that has been for a long time a pleasure I used to enjoy talking to collectors but in the long run its business money changes hands I had collectors taking advantage of me due to my contacts ref stock minichamps in particular and the price I can sell them for. I dont sell to the public for trade price.

I looked and started on this forum in this way for a specific reason it was to get people to react. not to sell or to promote a website thats already moving foward.

We were under the impression that this forum was an excellent information platform to be used in research into pricing various future models and also what to produce but it has shown its just a meeting point for collectors who realy have no idea about the people who realy do all the work for your hobby all you have to do is order pay and acecpt delivery. This industry is going through a problem phaze ebay destroying prices swap meets in the uk dumping stock two different prices across in the USA etc.

something must be done to address these problems and it is my job to find out if you all could contribute

I annoyed people on purpose for one reason it got me noticed by members who have now come foward and at least talked in a serious manner.

Now if you all wish and you dont have to, we can start again with one simple question.

Should the main frame diecast manufacturers concentrate only on promotional items for car companies, and then make models around the tooling available

if you would be kind enough I would like your opinions please.

In the mean time applogies to anyone if we have caused you any offence.

Thanks

#30 ·
So "World", I think you might have made a big mistake: we're collectors here, not traders/sellers/dealers or whomever profit with the hobby. We only spend money on the hobby because it's, well, a hobby, and we like it. If a legit seller is oferreing a legit model for whatever price he's asking, and that price happens to be lower then another seller's price, we will buy from the 1st. That's normal and expected, since everyone here does not have a money cow in his/her back yard. Being quite honest, we're not very worried about who is profitting more or less, as long as we get what we want at the price we can pay.

Is eBay a problem for sellers? Probably is, as what we discussed on another topic, but guess what: it's not our problem. If eBay happens to have the best price, and we're willing to accept the risk of not inspecting what we're buying, it's at eBay that we will buy. DX and other online forums is not the place to gauge the market if you're interested in the economics envolved with the hobby. Quite frankly, I don't give a fig about that. I do care, though, is that I get what I payed for (and a just price, of course).

Here we talk about models, collections and prices. Yes, we discuss prices, but basically where is the best deal to find the model we want. We talk about what is the best model out there and what we want to see in whatever scale we collect. We do not discuss economics as we do not discuss politics, because it's just not why we're into this hobby.

But if you do want to talk about that, great, start a thread and I'm positive you'll get replies (maybe even I will be able to add something to the discussion). But if you permit, let me hand out just one word of advice from someone who has been collecting for 2,5 (yup, two and a half) years and been around DX for 1,5 years: be nice. No need to stir up the pot to get "reactions". Just ask politely and everyone answers. DX guys and gals are a jolly bunch. :wink

G
#31 ·
Hi Thanks for that

I am not the world believe me just a rather large report to complete for wednesday on pricing and the endusers opinions to a concerned manufacturer no its not CMC they have no problems. I thought I would try to get some quick info from real people who are passionate about collecting and can contribute real usefull answers for me esp with your various backgrounds.

Its rather late now but after the next two shows i will introduce a thread on the points I would like to cover. They will want more info in the future

My client just has no idea where or what the collector wants they just want to produce models for reference and marketing and its owned by people who are very hard to convince in certain matters.

Nice web site you have there dont worry about people stealing your photos shows respect to you thats all.

Thanks

#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
We were under the impression that this forum was an excellent information platform to be used in research into pricing various future models and also what to produce but it has shown its just a meeting point for collectors who realy have no idea about the people who realy do all the work for your hobby all you have to do is order pay and acecpt delivery.
As customers that is our only responsibility.
Who cares about the behind the scenes stuff. I have my own business to run and worry about. I could care less how you run yours.
This is my hobby

My client just has no idea where or what the collector wants they just want to produce models for reference and marketing and its owned by people who are very hard to convince in certain matters.
Again, who cares?
If your client doesn't know what his market is than he has a bigger problem than having someone as rude as you being their representitive to potential customers.

As I said before, DX is not here to do your job for you.
We will talk about anything we want and if it doesn't please you so be it.
This is exactly why I am so happy that we have never had manufacturer involvment here, they pollute every conversation by their self-serving interests.

We are quite concerned that some models are put down which in turn discourages potential buyers away from a certain brand.
My gosh, people want to produce a product and then they don't want anyone to say anything negative about it????
What sort of world do you live in?

I annoyed people on purpose for one reason it got me noticed by members who have now come foward and at least talked in a serious manner.
And please save us from your drama.
next time you want to ask a question, just ask it.
You don't have to get people upset first.
You are good enough at that without even trying.

#35 ·
Every business has the right to earn profits. The problems begin when the people running the business begin to get greedy.

Why do companies make such a big fuss about Ebay and not of big chain stores like Walmart and Kmart. Are'nt WM and KM brick and mortar equivalents of Ebay. Are'nt these stores selling stuff at wholesale prices and closing down local mom and pop stores.
Where do business ethics go then?

Let me give you an example when I say greed ruins business oppurtunities. Hotwheels itself is the sole importer of their products here in India. They introduced that crappy Enzo at 120$. On the insistence of hobby shops, they got it down to around 70$. I am sure the hobby shop owners know the true value of what they are seeing in Hot Wheels. But they are not bothered because they think that since the customers are paying big money for AUTOart, the fools that they are, they will pay up for HWs too. I still find HWs collecting dust on store shelves. So also premium priced Aas. What do these shops do then. They resort to 20 and 30 % offs if not more. So who is the bigger fool. Would you like to see piling inventory or would you like to see fast selling stock, however reasonably small the margins are.

If you have followed the forum, you will know how popular AUTOart's decision to sell models at a predetermined fixed price is. Sad to say but this price is too high to be reasonable. Some of the prices almost lick Exoto territory. How long do you think AUTOart can sustain this. What do they take collectors to be? Cash cows who win the lottery every two days?

The companies have consultants to do research. Who does the collector go to? Forums such as DX ofcourse. The camaraderie that is formed here ensures that every collector, no matter which corner he is from, gets the best value for his hard earned money. So whats wrong in recommending a cheaper better model to a higher priced half decent one. If you insist that dealers should be protected, why shouldn't the end user be getting a fair deal too?

G
#37 ·
Hi Keep the points coming India helped alot.

Point on AUTOart pricing towards Exoto levels this is what we want to hear from you guys buying models because of price or brands why what do you want us to do.

thanks for that

India is an up and coming market est F1

dont hate me help me
Tell me what models do the indian market want in the future

The asian community here in the UK wants Mercs we need to know from the collector.

thanks

G
#43 · (Edited)
eeano,

I hate to play word games with you, but your such an easy target.

In all of your posts in this thread you lead the audience in to believing your a representative for a company doing consulting on their behalf. You admitted to being invited to do these consults and now you back away from all of these statements when your challenged on the credibility of those claims.

These are from your posts.

You sent me this in an email:

I was asked by a number of representatives to look into this forum and
others to find out what thier ideas were about certain items. Unfortunatly
most of the replys read seem to be one liners which offer no information
whatsoever. This has not shown your forum in a great light in providing
constructive answers.to items such as price increases and what will this do
the to collecting market.

We were in the future going to offer alot of advertising space to forums on
various websites in exchange for ours on the forum, this would have involved
giving substatial dicounts for members including admin staff. There were
plans to involve you collectors in an inspiring relationship with areas such
as R&D within the diecast world knowing full well you people the diehards,
might have an added interest in the behinds scenes of various companies.
This would have also included space for unrelated areas away from the
diecast business. But it seems we are dealing with very unprofessional
people even the poll sugests that most people have a decent education.

Lastly, you state you would never collect anything for the sake of collecting, there would have to be some sort of profit in it for you.

Well, thanks for making me look like a damn genius as I told you that in a pm. Your just another hobbyist looking to make a buck of other collectors. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled off was convincing people he didn't exist.

I am glad this forum is filled with members who actaully appreciate the hobby from a collectors aspect.

When I first started this forum, I was fascinated with various companies, retailers and industry types showing an interest in being involved in DX's existence. Worst mistake I ever made was taking a few of them up on their offers. I don't know what was worst, the fact that they expected me to kiss their a** and play the role of bodyguard over their brand or the contempt they had for the consumers of this hobby. Albeit, it was only a few who fit into that category, but those few just like you ruin it for the few companies, retailers and manufacturers who care enough about the preservation of this hobby.

I will tell you without a hesitation, that I am glad that this forum focuses on the "collectors enthusiasm" and not some companies agenda or bottom line. In my personal belief, thats the way it should be and the way it will remain here on DX.

Since DX is not what your looking for, I kindly invite you to find another forum which better suits your agenda. I am quite sure that a few forums will gladly entertain a wannabe such as yourself.

G
#38 · (Edited)
First and foremost let me apologize to DX and its members for having to put up with this type of arrogant clown. I should have dealt with him from the first pm I read from him, my mistake. I promise not to make it again.

eeano, lets just put it all out there, shall we.

You have been here approximately 17 days and in that time, you have managed to attack my advertisers and the products they are selling(I will gladly post the pm for proof), inform the Forum Manager that he sucks at his job(I will gladly post the pm for proof), accuse the owner of Modellissimo of being a jokester who likes to deceive his customers(I will gladly post the pm for proof), accuse me of being the owner of a retail store in Florida(I will gladly post the pm for proof), accuse another member of being the owner of Modelissimo(I will gladly post the pm for proof) and now this fiasco.

I told you in a pm I sent to you earlier that your business skills are terrible to say the least and I now I entirely convinced of it. If you are doing any type of consulting for any company/manufacturer, they need to fire you as you are nothing more than a liability to them. If you knew anything of 'market branding' you wouldn't have exposed your lack of consumer relations skills.

I looked at your store stocklist and three of the companies you stock have representatives here, bet your candy a** that I emailed all three of them to see if your on their payroll. Two of them have since replied and said they know nothing of you. Until the third replies, I will give you the benefit of the doubt...but if your character is true to form, your misleading the audience of this topic with untruths about working with companies who is seeking information.

Your attempt at putting the business side of the hobby is at best comical, it all sounds like second hand information to me and one other company rep who happended to read this thread.

As I have told you before in previous pm's, I could care less what store you own, as I bow to no retailer, company or manufacturer. Therefore, I will not tolerate you coming into my house and disprespecting myself, the staff nor any member. Period not happening. No way, no how. Hear me?

You make a mention of not looking for sales, you stated quite the opposite in your pm, do I need to post it to refresh your memory?

I challenge you to provide a checkpoint for a "professional qualified opinion" and what action plan must be executed to evaluate a model. If your a professional qualified expert, you should have no problem rattling it off.

If you think that DX is just a meeting place for collectors your absolutely right. If you think we know nothing of the business of diecasts, your absolutely out of touch. I won't even grant the privelage of defending DX from your accusations as they are the furthest from the truth. But rest assured, simply because no member endorses one specific product, doesn't mean that we are oblivious to forming an evaluation on a model.

I do believe that you can fool some by claiming to be something that your not by putting together a few sentences on the economics of the hobby. But your in way over your head, trust me run for the hills while you still can as you have the slightest clue about business.

Your the type of person that truly hurts the hobby, a collector turned businessman who is a wannabe insider who thinks you can attack anyone with your limited knowledge.

I surely do feel sorry for your customers and I hope they all read this topic.

G
#41 ·
First my client is NOT a diecast company even though I sell diecast products. I have no direct contact with any one of them. no need for it

Second I am NOT on any payroll of any diecast company but it does have alot to do with collecting.

Third We will call this a day as it obvious I am not geting any information worth writing about.

Fourth there is no way in the world I would collect anything for the pleasure of it and never have done, you say this to collectors to make them feel at home. All the traders I know do not collect they know better than that clouds the mind they use the diecast business for investment purposes. that is who my client is an investment company who invests in collectables.

Fifth Good night

G
#45 · (Edited)
eeano After reading through everyones mighty fine responses to your nonsense I have only come up with this in defense of this community which I appreciate so much. (Because everthing I wanted to say has been said, almost)

Quit trying to play this whole this off. Saying, "I was just saying this... or skilled engineer that or fine quality so and so." It is done, deal with it and move on.

eeano: Quote "Third We will call this a day as it obvious I am not geting any information worth writing about."

Now that I think about it I did find some useful information for you.
Your welcome to rise up and leave whenever you feel.

G
#47 · (Edited)
All I wanted was some opinion on the Panamericana.... and look what happened! Be careful people! :lol

He says he has no collection, yet he states he has 150 something diecasts in his personal info. Seems just one big lie that is aimed to upset the balance we have here.

Dunno guys, but I am really upset for what happened here today. I am very disappointed on how some people perceive diecast collecting (and even a hobby as a whole).

However,to see the bright side, I really enjoyed reading everybody's replies and show we truly love this hobby. I am very proud to be a member here of DX and share my thoughts and collection with you.

Goodnight people

#52 ·
This shows to the newer collectors what type of people are out there, as this Information can help them chose there place's of purchase, as well what type of people to be aware of in our wonderful hobby.

Sorry burn I don't know much about the car you were asking about, so I had no Info to offer you, but there is always someone to give you great information on questions here at DX as you did get, sorry to see you got a whole lot more this time round.

:cheers

G
#48 · (Edited)
eeano

My thought here :mine ,,,,You don't come into a forum of "Just Colectors"& start,,,, :confused how do I say this,,,,,,,attempt to bitchslap them over their personal tasts or opinion! Your not exactly winning any1 over with your tactics. If I was a ringer,(call it immature)I'd ban your
This forum is for the collector(,,,erm or what you said "Just Colectors" :ranting! without "Just Colectors"how good would your buesness be??? :badidea )

Well I said all I had to & I appologize to all of the forum for making this thread a little more messy!
eeano, please dont let the door hit you in the a** on the way out! we just had it refinished & don't want to have to clean your "Bull ****" of it.

G
#49 ·
Since no one said it.... eeno - You're an A55HOLE.

You need to except the facts. And what is that? That we buy what ever model we want and we get to decide which ones we like or don't! NOT YOU.

Your 'expertise' means jack$hit to me. You can blab all you want about how CMC saved the world, change Coke to Pepsi, walk on water, or that they're using the best methods known on the planet to build model cars and rocketships. Blah Blah Blah. Bottom line is - if I don't like their products, I won't buy it. UNDERSTAND?

Burn came here to ask for our opinion and that's what he got - OUR OPINIONS. And why is it just about every pompous jerk that I've dealt with always ended up using the line, "I am also entitled to mine". Yes, we are fully aware of the fact that people have opinions. And mine still stands - You're an A55HOLE.

And what is it with you calling people Brazil, USA, India, etc? Are you talking to the whole country or the individuals? People have names, you know. Atleast use their screen name, fur cryin' out loud.

Should I start referring to this guy as - Somewhere in Europe?

"Nice web site you have there dont worry about people stealing your photos shows respect to you thats all."

So what you're trying to say?

If you want to help me and I have asked nicely please read the question and give me your valued opinion it is wanted but please be constructive, and dont just put a smily in like the last one.

I valued my opinion and believe it to be constructive. It reads:

GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR A55

NOTE: I'm fully aware of what I've said and I will not, under any circumstances, apologize to anyone about it. This is my opinion and I'm "entitled to mine". :cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.