DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mercedes Diecast Fanatic
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I might get flamed for this one. :giggle For my defense, I got my first CMC's because of the history behind them, not their value as collectibles...
After getting the W196R, the W165 engine compartment looked pretty shabby so I decided to upgrade the wiring to loo more like the 1:1. I am really happy with the results. I might do just a little more to the cockpit as well as paint the exhaust to be more accurate.

Enjoy...

White Automotive design Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Marc, I'm thinking of sending you my 300SL, W196 and future W165 so that you correct them. :giggle

·
Mercedes Diecast Fanatic
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Luciano, somehow I knew you'd be one of the first to reply :giggle
Incidentally, the W196 is next on my list. It's probably the worst of all the CMC that I have... although even the "worst" of CMC is good in comparaison to a lot of models...

·
Registered
11,569 Posts
Hi Marc, long time no talk. :cheers
What a transformation!
You sure have the touch and the eye :nicejob

·
Mercedes Diecast Fanatic
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jeff, I haven't really been able to be on DX as much as I would like...or work on my models for that matter. This one was just a one night deal so I actually got to finish it. :giggle

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
:lol
Marc, the W196 is CMC's worst model, no doubt (though I haven't seen detailed pics or handled the 450SL). 10 years can be a lot of time in the diecast world in terms of evolution of details. Honestly, when I popped the hood open of the W196 I immediately remembered my (and yours too) loved Maisto 300SLR. That's why I was so excited about the W196R, since it was a quantum leap for the brand.

If I had the skills I wouldn't think twice about making these cars better. :cheers

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Well done, Marc :cheers
Even old CMC's deserves a special care about their finishing.
:cheers

·
Registered
737 Posts
Wow, that looks great Marc! The engine looks much better! Well done! :nicejob :nicejob

·
Mercedes Diecast Fanatic
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To tell you the truth, I have taken maisto's engine apart as well as the CMC's and maisto's actually has more detail and is more accurate as well. I am making it even morte accurate and doing a casting of it for all my SLR's (Targa Florio, LeMans, Mille Miglia, Coupe1 and Coupe 2). I might as well do an extra one for the W196... You are right, no comparaison between the W196 and the W196R . I am actually debating whether to install working air scoops like on the W196R. All I'd have to do is copy CMC's simple but effective system. I'll probably have to redo the floor as well...still puzzled as to why CMC put carpet there... :confused

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.