DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The last time I checked, I was fresh out of rich old uncles. Likewise my chances of stumbling across large sacks of cash. So the thought of owning something as exotic and over-the-top impractical as a Ferrari was a foregone fantasy.

Triple that sentiment (and the lust factor, and the required sack count) if the car in question was, say, a 250 GT SWB. At a going resale value that reaches into the millions of dollars per, the magnificent Maranellans from the early 'sixties were - and still are - among the most beautiful, most desirable automobiles ever made.

So it was with great joy that I received CMC's 1:18 scale model of that very car, done to their usual standard - precision bordering on incredulity - painted in the only color we could have wanted: red, baby.

Rolling on astounding, hand-spoked scale Borrani wheels, this latest masterpiece from the Chinese/German concern is the stuff of model car dreams. More than eleven hundred separate pieces (and a materials list that includes leather, copper, brass, steel, zamac, plastic, and cloth), come together in a replica that rivals some one-off, hand-built, custom fabricated works from commissioned artists. That's no surprise - it is hand built - and this manufacturer has consistently engineered and delivered some of this hobby's most jaw-dropping images.

Everything opens, including the doors, hood, trunk, and gas filler door, and the model has a working front coil/rear leaf spring suspension. Pull the wheels (easily done, with neat knock-offs) and you'll see an amazing replication, done in steel, of the car's fully plumbed disc brakes. You'll also get a peek at the car's diecast frame, a remarkable model unto itself. Go below, and you'll see a stunning, note-for-note copy of every suspension piece, each element of the car's crackle-finished exhaust system, and a couple running feet of copper, steel, and metal cabling and wiring, run to the brakes, trans, rear, the four wheels, and the e-brake. If that isn't enough, the plumbing is lashed to the frame with tiny metal bands, riveted into place. The sight of the brakes spinning past the calipers from the rear is almost, by itself, worth the price of the model.

The stamped-copper hood rises up on a friction strut and reveals another masterpiece. I'm hoping that CMC fast-tracks this one into release as a stand-alone unit; the 240-horse 3-liter V12 is utterly complete and believable, from the triple thumbscrews securing the screened oval of the air cleaner to the laboriously installed detail parts all around. Wanna get deep? Not only is the generator wired in, the positive cable running from its rear is fastened in no less than three separate places - before it travels two inches! The valve covers are painted in a sparkling metallic crinkle, and some of the cabling in here is seemingly only marginally thicker than human hair. This isn't detail, it's devotion. I'm still finding my way around in here, and the visits are becoming more and more enjoyable.

Rendered in buff leather, the interior is easy to get to, despite the doors being equipped with rolled-up windows. An easy pull on the door handle pivots the units open to a great angle for viewing - and what a view. CMC has slavered fine grain leather all over the place. Not to sound like I'm having too much of a good time - I am - but it actually smells great in here. The door panels are covered with the glove-quality stuff, as are the map pockets, which also wear tiny, tight hand stitching. The steering wheel is a faux wood unit, but by jeepers, it looks like the real thing, right down to the dark inset that rounds the rim. Behind it is a great, painted metal dash with readable gauges and a quadrant of toggles and pull handles. The visors swing down, the floor is carpeted in a faux lamb flock, and even the ashtray cover - a jewel in polished metal - is set into place flawlessly.

The model's price is a lofty $209.00, but nobody can deny that the car's fine points - 1,141 of them, to be precise - make that steep vig an easy number to comprehend. The engineering is intense, the assembly flawless, and the subject itself an icon. Rich uncles and happened-upon cash be damned; if you only plan to buy one high-end model this year, I'd put this very near the top of a very, very short list.

**Review added to the DX Model Review Database**

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Thanks for the preview :happy :happy
I must get this one. I thought they would have a tough time to beat the Maserati.
CMC are releasing unbelievable cars!!!

DC4ME

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Oh boy... I just have to decide what bank I'll rob to get the money, 'cause I'm going to have one of these babies on my shelf someday!!! :tongue

BTW, somebody wanna bet on which model will be MOTY 2006? :giggle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just placed a pre-order for one. I guess my diecast mantra is the same as most skiers: Go big or go home!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LUW said:
Oh boy... I just have to decide what bank I'll rob to get the money, 'cause I'm going to have one of these babies on my shelf someday!!! :tongue
Haven't you got a Mazzer 250F to get first? :tempted .

And i will have both the 250F and 250 GT myself soon, very very soon.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
:hot :hot
:hot :hot :hot
:hot :hot :hot :hot
:hot :hot :hot :hot :hot
I am shocked...!!!!!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
That model is absolutely stunning. My only criticizm is the doglegs for the hood. Now the question is do I get the Maserati or the Ferrarri? :confused

The temptations never end, it was only today that I recieved the last of the CMC Silver Arrows to complete my collection! :happy

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Bravo! :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob

That is a senational model. And the pictures are simply superb, allowing us to get a really good sense of the quality and finite details on this exquisite replica.

Sadly, this car is way out of my price range. But it's nice to know that members here are enjoying the exclusivity and incredibly detail and quality on this car.

Stunning! :nicejob :hot

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
:hot :hot :hot Is all that can describe such a work of automotive art! :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob

If only I could afford one! :lol If I don't buy any other models for 8 months maybe... :tempted :tease

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just ordered the Ferrari Enzo by BBR today :yahoo :yahoo and this version of the sweet 250 SWB is definately going to be near the top of my must get list! :cheers :cheers Thanks for the great review!! I have the Jouef version of this car. To me it appears that this car has more detail than the Enzo! :feedback And it costs less. :confused BBR must be charging too much. :rant I paid $250 for BBR's Enzo on eBay. :fence

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
YEAH BABY!!!!!! It's been on my wishlist like forever......it looks awesome!

....I hope there won't be any problems with that one.....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.