DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dx is always growing here and new members are always joining, so what do you think of giving them some advice?

My collection wouldn't be what it is now if I hadn't talked to Luciano in a number of Pm's when I first started here. So I thank him! :eek:k

Mine...

Select what you really like and choose a theme to support it. This way, your collection will look more complete. This works better for members who are short on cash (like me! :giggle). After chosing a theme, search various manufacturers and see which ones you would like to have in your theme, which ones would fit. Then, prioritise them and purchase accrodingly.

I have been doing this since the first month here at DX and I have always bought what I wanted. Never looked back at any of my purchases :happy

What do the more matured collectors have to say?

Edit: These are the suggestions for now, they are mirrored on post #21 aswell

1. Select what you really like and choose a theme to support it. This way, your collection will look more complete. This works better for members who are short on cash (like me! ). After choosing a theme, search various manufacturers and see which ones you would like to have in your theme, which ones would fit. Then, prioritize them and purchase accordingly.

2. For me, I don't buy a bad model of a car that I like and I don't buy a good model of a car that I don't care for. So many times I hear "this model has great details and very accurate...too bad the car is ugly." I have to like the real car first which is the reason why I want a model of it. On the other hand, I love the Pagani Zonda but I can't bring myself to get the Motormax model.

3. One suggestion if you start a theme, however, is to make sure that you have a reasonable chance of completing it. For example, someone who is just starting to collect, and thinks that having all the UT Porsche GT1 or GT2 series, or all the AutoArt McLaren F1 or Porsche 917's is the way to go. If you are on a limited budget, those series will be almost impossible to complete. Be realistic in your expectations, and be patient as you add to your collection. You will be amazed at just how quickly a collection can build.

4. This is how I do (or did it):
1) Chose a scale
2) Chose a theme
3) Made a list of what I wanted
4) Never go wild on the purchases
5) Never buy on impulse (research first)

5. The most important thing, is regardless of all the advice that you can acquire from a great forum and people such as found here or from personal/magazine-type model reviews, the individual that is collecting is doing so for their own pleasure.

Hobbies of any sort are supposed to help create a sense of relaxation, not distress (such as that brought up lately d/t some topics relating to a certain model manufacturer). JMO.

6. After buying your first and second model, your third purchase towards your collection
should be a display shelf. Display space is almost extinct in this hobby.

Theres a group called the Jones', its impossible to keep up with them, so don't even try

7. One thing that any new collector will learn is that the longer they are in the hobby, they will realize they are not the same collector they were when they first started. When I first started, I knew absolutely nothing about brands, price differences or anything. That changed and when it did, so did my collecting habits. I now know what I like as well as what I don't like.

8. I would also like to say, eventhough a newcomer may think they don't have a lot to add to the hobby, that is not the case. As everyone was a newcomer at some point. Sometimes a new perspective and fresh eyes on the hobby may help some who have been collecting a while who have missed something along the way.

9. Also, if you can put back in 1/4 of what you get out of the hobby, then you will be one happy collector.

10. Any advice, good or bad, is still advice worth listening (or reading)

11. If there's one piece of advice I might add, it's that one should look at the models available in a particular scale first before deciding on what scale to go with. But with some folks, more than one scale might be a good idea. My tastes in cars is very much like mwrmt (Mike) minus the CART, F1 categories. I have included both 1/18 and 1/43 in my collection so that I can get cars with opening doors/hoods (1/18) as well as access cars (in 1/43) that simply aren't/won't be made in 1/18 such as LM Zondas, Saleen S7Rs and a whole bunch of LMP cars.

12. For those on a budget like me:

- Patience is a virtue
- EBay is your friend (at least for me it is)

I've been waiting for some cars I've wanted for a long time. I set a certain price I am willing to spend and wait for it to get close to that price before I buy. That's what I go by.

13. My Advice is research research research.... eBay is good mostly... If I'm really interested in an overseas model, I also look at please support DX Advertisers!, as they seem to have the best pictures around and really help me decide if I want the car or not.

14. Also, a simple statement to live by in the world of collecting: Quality over Quantity is the key!!

15. Another piece of advice is: Don't buy a model to make money, buy it because you like it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A very good topic Burn.

For me, I don't buy a bad model of a car that I like and I don't buy a good model of a car that I don't care for. So many times I hear "this model has great details and very accurate...too bad the car is ugly." I have to like the real car first which is the reason why I want a model of it. On the other hand, I love the Pagani Zonda but I can't bring myself to get the Motormax model.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I like the suggestion of staying with a theme. That is how I started about ten years ago, first with Nascar, then I looked for historic racers that had a personal interest. One suggestion if you start a theme, however, is to make sure that you have a reasonable chance of completing it. For example, someone who is just starting to collect, and thinks that having all the UT Porsche GT1 or GT2 series, or all the AutoArt McLaren F1 or Porsche 917's is the way to go. If you are on a limited budget, those series will be almost impossible to complete.

Be realistic in your expectations, and be patient as you add to your collection. You will be amazed at just how quickly a collection can build.

To the novice collector: Good Luck, have fun, and welcome aboard!

:cheers

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
This is how I do (or did it):
1) Chose a scale
2) Chose a theme
3) Made a list of what I wanted
4) Never go wild on the purchases
5) Never buy on impulse (research first)

I've been doing that and so far it has worked for me. There's no model I regret buying (except for my Nova SS) and every model I bought has a story behind it and/or a reason.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with most of what said, but from personal experience even "themes" can get carried away.

I used to collect from all series I liked ie: CART, DTM, LeMans, touring, etc.

Now I've refined it to include these series but not all cars. I go after drivers I like(Paul Tracy, Greg Moore, Hans Stuck, Vale Rossi), cars I like(BMW M3 GTR, Mac F1, Audi R8) and liveries (Gulf, BMW Fina, Champion Racing) and of course if all 3 come together in one car, all the better.

This is of course, almost regardless of manufacturer. I don't care if it's a Hot Wheels Ferrari 333SP, a sealed AutoArt Bentley EXP Speed 8 or an Exoto Sauber C9, if it fits my parameters, I'm gonna get it.

The most important thing, is regardless of all the advice that you can aquire from a great forum and people such as found here or from personal/magazine-type model reviews, the individual that is collecting is doing so for their own pleasure.

Hobbies of any sort are supposed to help create a sense of relaxation, not distress(such as that brought up lately d/t some topics relating to a certain model manufacturer). JMO.

Have fun and happy collecting! :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great topic indeed. :goodpost

After buying your first and second model, your third purchase towards your collection should be a display shelf. Display space is almost extinct in this hobby.

Theres a group called the Jones', its impossible to keep up with them, so don't even try :lol

One thing that any new collector will learn is that the longer they are in the hobby, they will realize they are not the same collector they were when they first started. When I first started, I knew absolutely nothing about brands, price differences or anything. That changed and when it did, so did my collecting habits. I now know what I like as well as what I don't like.

I would also like to say, eventhough a newcomer may think they don't have a lot to add to the hobby, that is not the case. As everyone was a newcomer at some point. Sometimes a new perspective and fresh eyes on the hobby may help some who have been collecting a while who have missed something along the way.

Also, if you can put back in 1/4 of what you get out of the hobby, then you will be one happy collector.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
Mike,

Would you prefer that collectors who have been in the hobby a while not bring to light a models flaws informing new collectors of such models?

I ask this not specifically relating to the AUTOart topics(because AUTOart is not the only company who produces a bad model every now and then), but to my personal experiences. When I started out collecting, I didn't have anyone enlighten me about a models flaws. I thought they were all 100% accurate, maybe a little naive on my part, but thats what I thought.

I recall it like it was yesterday, there was a topic on the Maisto Murcielago. It made a mention about the tires being too big. Turns out there was too releases of the Murcielago Maisto, one with really big tires and the later version had more realistic looking tires. As I had both in my collection at the time, I would have never known if someone hadn't made a mention of it.

Or the photo comparison between the Hot Wheels Murcielago and the Maisto Murcielago, the Hot Wheels version is significantly large than that of Maisto. So which is the correct scale?

Its disscussions like such which prompted me to get rid of some models that there were better representations for.

So I ask, if the dialogue about a model is a good, how is a new collector suppose to realize the differences between a good model and a bad model. Or is that really irrelevant?

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
I can say this: if I had been alerted before, I would never had bought my GMP Nova. So whatever piece of information, good or bad, that I can get on a future model, is more then welcome. In fact, I would say that it's more important to know what to avoid then what to buy. If a model is crappy, PLEASE tell me, and tell me why.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Louis, what if you're a novice collector and desperate to build up your American iron collection and I say to you that Ertl's Bullitt Mustang is the same as AUTOart, so don't waste the extra cash? Or that Mattel's Daytona is in the same league as Kyosho's?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
i'll listen to what u wrote and with that in mind, go down to the shops to have a look for myself.

that's what advice is for, its not an instruction on what to do. advice is just that, adbice , but ultimately, we will havto make the judgement ourselves. especially when it comes to spending $$$.

If i really wanted to buy someting, i'll still make an effort to check it out in the store

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Derrick,

like Mockingbird said "any advice, good or bad, is still advice worth listening (or reading)" and all I'm saying is that as a newbie collector, most definitely listen/read all that you can, but decide for yourself. Reviews and opinions are one in the same.

Not all models are 100% dead-on accurate, but if you like it - get it.

Alot of the members here have squawked about AUTOart's sealed versions and there price increases, while I too would like to have "unsealed" versions, this is apparentlty right now, not an option. Price increases are inevitable(sure AUTOart/Exoto are getting carried away), but in reality if it's something you want, you'll buy it(whether or not you wait for a sale or Ebay).

Do I regret getting my AUTOart Bentley EXP Speed 8 b/c of price or b/c it's sealed? No way! I love the car.

Each one of us collects what we like and all I'm pointing out is aquire all the knowledge you can, but decide on your own. :cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mike,

I understand and respect your views.

As we are a diverse group here, our collecting habits and opinions will differ greatly which will evidently affect how we view a model.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
There have been lots of wise words spoken already. :nicejob :nicejob :nicejob

If there's one piece of advice I might add, it's that one should look at the models available in a particular scale first before deciding on what scale to go with. But with some folks, more than one scale might be a good idea. My tastes in cars is very much like mwrmt (Mike) minus the CART, F1 categories. I have included both 1/18 and 1/43 in my collection so that I can get cars with opening doors/hoods (1/18) as well as access cars (in 1/43) that simply aren't/won't be made in 1/18 such as LM Zondas, Saleen S7Rs and a whole bunch of LMP cars.

·
Registered
73 Posts
For those on a budget like me:

- Patience is a virtue
- Ebay is your friend (at least for me it is) :lol

I've been waiting for some cars I've wanted for a long time. I set a certain price I am willing to spend and wait for it to get close to that price before I buy. Thats what I go by.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My Advice is research research research.... ebay is good mostly... If I'm really interested in an overseas model, I also look at please support DX Advertisers!, as they seem to have the best pictures around and really help me decide if I want the car or not.

They got me into the p100 mustangs, even though they were out of stock, they still had the gr8 pics to drool over

·
Registered
242 Posts
in my opinion, Tom hit the nail on this one. :iagree

Also, a simple statement to live by in the world of collecting: Quality over Quantity is the key!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.