DiecastXchange Forum banner
501 - 520 of 524 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #502 ·
I like that color combination a lot. Very cool.
Sorry Jon, didn't see your comment. I already have 4 or 5 1970 Olds 442's of one variation or another, the most represented year in 1/18 scale, I really had no interest in another one. This restomod version from Acme sort of grew on me though including the color combo of grey metallic on black wheels. It is such a nice model in person, very glad I got one. Thank you Jon. I have one more of it testing out the garage background that I shot with some figures.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #503 ·
After seeing what Dirk did with his HWE Steve McQueen Lusso and then seeing what Arnage did with his, I really wanted to change the tires on my Eric Clapton version. In a scratch my head sort of moment, yes I have many, why Hotwheels stuck the balloon tires on the back of this car. Oddly the base version has the same size tires front and back just the real car. I have looked around and the real car has the same sized tires.

With the proper sized tires on, this now looks about like it should, though I notice the rear end of the real car seems to raised up a bit. I paid a 100 on a used Hotwheels 250 California which I stole the tires. The front tires on the California are bit smaller than the Elite Lusso but they look great. The rims on the California got a bit wrecked and the car is now in bits..but fear not!; I have a Tremonia kit for that model, so one day it will be reborn.

This Lusso model for those who do not know, I got from Wes and is one of the best impulse buys for me. Wes had put in a Tremonia kit, upping the detail the engine with 45 new parts; then more for the interior. He also fixed the front lights and grill. He did an amazing job and for those you want to see..here is the link to that thread....

Here is the model as I shot it a few years ago with the old balloon back tires..

And now 5 years later.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #505 ·
Thank you Dirk.

A fun garage scene of the tire swap on the Lusso with the new tires on the car and the old against the bench.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #507 ·
Great photos, especially that last one with the skyline background. I have the same exact Clapton 250 Lusso with BBR rims but your front grill seems more refined? Not sure if you did anything with it?
Thank you Mr. Rapide66. I was initially going to go with the BBR rims as done by Arnage, and you, but the tire swap was much easier; though I now need new wire wheels for the California..so I may go with the BBR for that. Someone posted on a Ferrari FB page that the BBR rims are meant for 1950s Ferrari's, the exception being the PO4s which is for the 250 GTO. In all fairness, the rims on the Hotwheels look spot on, it is just the size of the back tires that seem to off.

Well spotted on the grill. Wes did add the photo etched grill and sunk it back like the real car. Check out the link above to his thread where he modified the car to see all he did. .

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #510 ·
This is the other 1/24th scale corvette by WIX. You bought the above 1953 debut model and with it you got a coupon by which to order away for the 1963 model to celebrate the first decade of Corvette history.

And to reunite two American Icons from the worlds of aviation architecture and automotive design, used in a the 1963 advertisement.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #513 ·
Very sweet, William!!
Great model and meanwhile almost unaffordable!
Had the same but some time ago I swapped it against the LM version #19...
Yup, I could not swing one today. The LM version was the happy pass over for me as I got the TDF one instead.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #517 ·
They look great together! The image has that showroom/museum vibe to it, very nice! :love:

And to me that BBurago easily passes as the BBR version on that photo.
Great "team work". I also thought that BBurago was the BBR one, even though i have the BBR!!!
Thank you Gents!, I would never try and pass off an BBurago for a BBR but sometimes with the right lighting to mask off some of the lack of details you can make a cheaper model look alright. Though, this model I think does look pretty good for the money and way cheaper than the BBR. My only small wish is they had made it silver as to match the others hehe; I could take time and add more detail to it like Rob did with his, but I likely won't with so many others I want to do.

cwbs your right, the showroom vibe was the aim; this is actually part of the shoot for the F12 and sitting on white tiles it seem to look pretty good.

Reactions: cwbs and Marios

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #519 ·
Epic scene, congrats!!!
Thank you Mr. Cristi! there are 3 missing that i know of; a 599 GTO, F12 TDF, and I have seen a 812 with the same colours. But all would require customizing a model to get them and could be pricey but I love what I have. Thanks for sharing your upgrades to the SP1 in thread, really nice.

501 - 520 of 524 Posts