DiecastXchange Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
That's sad. My first diecast (& my son't first one) was made by Bburago. I had heard of their rumour demise about 2 months ago. It's looks quite official now.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
That is a shame, even though I haven't bought one for ages (as their lack of commitment to accurate scale and level of detail stuck at around state of the art 1990 for diecasts did not fit with my preferances) I still have good memories of my first diecasts which were diecasts. They really got the mass market going for bigger diecasts which is a debt we all perhaps owe them as collectors.

I just wonder had they tried to appeal more to collectors as well as their core audience of airport shoppers and younger kids might they have survived? Maisto and Bburrago were similar in price and detail 10 years ago, but Maisto evolved and raised their game, but not Bburrago sadly.

"Il Liquidatore" sounds very sinister!!! Like a hitman for Tony Soprano!!! :giggle

G

·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
This is a sad moment for the diecast world. Its companies like Bburago that start a future diecast collector. Without these companies, it will be more and more difficult to grow an already difficult market. The number of future collectors will become smaller if they do not have access to these less expensive lines that gets them started in the collection hobby.

It is really too bad.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stop in time and you will go down, that is a market law. They were comfortable with the consumer base they had, and didn't bother to evovle. Kept realeasing the same models that 10 years ago were ok, but to today's standards are poor or even crap. Their consumers migrated to other brands.

G

·
Well a moment of silence here...

Bburago made their mark and its just the nature of the game, suvival of the fittest. Good thing Ive held onto by Bburago Ferraris.

G

·
Its a shame to see this, I remember my father's shop filled with boxes of Bburagos. I remeber my first models were Bburagos, quite sad now.

This was well expected though, Maltese importer had decided to stop importing them, I can only imagine that other importers around the world had taken this decision.

But, Bburago never tried to achieve something better, so, they are guilty for their demise.

Just..... a little sad.

G

·
Ahh at last. It's pretty sad though. They did have some out of the box picks for models for a while. The Guigario, the Lightning, the Focus rally car before anyone else did it and even the Crossfire, which I don't think even saw the light of day. I'm actually kinda sad. My first model was also a Bburago. They seem like a really good company to start out with. Decent quality, but bad enough to make you really appreciate your first AUTOart or Kyosho...or better yet your first Exoto.

I do love my Viper GTS though. They were the only company to produce it in blue with white stripes. (Which was my first model)

G

·
I must say that I saw this coming in both a specific sense and a more general sense.

For one, Bburago had less and less future releases on the table so it seemed as though something was amiss. This must make their last release, the Peugeot 907 Concept, a pretty desirable model now!

And, in a more general case, the future does not bode well for budget modelmakers. The growing price of labor and fuel mean that they either won't be able to deliver the detail they had because of less profit or they will have to raise profit, which will mean less profit too (less customers at higher prices, as we all know!)

I just hope that Bburago isn't the start of a decline in the lower end of this industry.

·
Registered
218 Posts
What is really ironic is that my first 1/18 was Bburago's BMW M Roadster in blue, and today I bought UT's M roadster in blue to replace it.....

I don't think it is quite that bad, Yat Ming has really done a decent job lately (the E-type with carpet was pretty decent!). I saw the Solstice at a hobby shop today, looks good! (it was $30, I'll pass for now!) Welly's Porsche Cayenne looks good in the box, and some of the motormax cars are worth the $10 you pay at Wal-Mart. Also, Jadi/Revell has made a few good ones lately! So it might not be too bad...?

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Funny thing for me is that Bburago is what kept me out of 1:18 for a long time.

I was collecting FM and DM and when I would go into a store and and see the giant sized and low detail Bburago's and I would turn my nose up at 1:18.

That is a very standard feeling in the 1:24 community, "they are way to big and toy like"

So, unlike a lot of you, I don't have any fond memories of Bburago and I just gave away the one Bburago that I had (250 GTO)

It does sadden me to see any diecast company not be able to make a go of it though.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Oh no!!!! Is this mean that the Peugeot 907 won't hit North America!!!!!!! :pullhair

I've been waiting for quite a while for that model!!!!!

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
That's sad to hear! I bet the molds will be sold off and we will be seeing them again. :giggle

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
That is sad but, really, only for the sake of nostalgia. Like many members here, my first diecasts in the mid-'80s were Bburagos because they were the only company reaching out to the beginner collector and therefore the only diecasts available to us ( remember, ebay had yet to be invented).

However, as LUW states, the companies that refuse to change with the times are doomed to failure. We now have a number of companies serving the entry or budget market, most of whom produce a far better product (e.g., Maisto). Today Hot Wheels is the Bburago that probably most entices the begining collector.

So, while it is sad, they did it to themselves: they refused to attempt to compete by improving their product! Thus, good-bye Bburago, it was nice to know you for a time but (honestly), you won't be missed. :cheers

1 - 20 of 57 Posts